U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which states have the best year round weather after California and Hawaii?
Georgia (Atlanta) 8 40.00%
Arizona (Phoenix) 1 5.00%
Florida (Orland0) 4 20.00%
Texas (Dallas) 3 15.00%
Washington (Seattle) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,990,880 times

Advertisements

None of those Piedmont states have good year round weather. It snows and ices almost every 2 years in NC, SC, VA, and sometimes GA. The areas in the mountains that feel good in the summer, get pounded by snow in the winter, and the flat-lands get humid and hot in the summer, and get ICE in the winter. I've never been to the PNW, but I'd guess by their weather patterns, that OR, and WA are after CA in good year around weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM

983 posts, read 1,357,149 times
If it was just by that list, I would pick Seattle. However, I would never consider any of those places to have the best climate. I enjoy four real seasons.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,804,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
None of those Piedmont states have good year round weather. It snows and ices almost every 2 years in NC, SC, VA, and sometimes GA. The areas in the mountains that feel good in the summer, get pounded by snow in the winter, and the flat-lands get humid and hot in the summer, and get ICE in the winter. I've never been to the PNW, but I'd guess by their weather patterns, that OR, and WA are after CA in good year around weather.
OR/WA get far more heavy snow storms and ice than those areas.
I feel the Piedmont areas are pretty balanced, not as hot in the summer as places farther south, not as cold in the winter as places farther north or inland. An actual spring and summer that places like Florida don't really get.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

233 posts, read 431,892 times
There's a major drop after CA and HI, but I would guess maybe some area in the southwest at a higher elevation such as Sedona or Flagstaff. Also Atlanta summers were the worst I Have encountered (haven't been to Houston yet). At least coastal Florida has the ocean breeze that cools things down at times the times I've been to ATL in the summer it was hot, muggy and the air was still. Also Fl has better winters than ATL.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,735,469 times
Florida, Texas, & Arizona.

I like hot.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 PM

8,666 posts, read 8,807,482 times
Cincinnati, Pittsburgh? as a whole Ohio is too varied to put in one climate group.

Last edited by btownboss4; 11-03-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM

14,007 posts, read 21,990,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OR/WA get far more heavy snow storms and ice than those areas.
I feel the Piedmont areas are pretty balanced, not as hot in the summer as places farther south, not as cold in the winter as places farther north or inland. An actual spring and summer that places like Florida don't really get.
It get's pretty hot and humid in the summer in the piedmont. The higher elevation isn't as much of a factor as folks think. It get's pretty bad in the summer, especially when you're not close to coast. There's no sea-breeze. And the tree-coverage and higher elevation actually hurts in the winter with the ice. Florida summers are hell(although the coast and the sea-breeze are nice). But winters are far better than the Piedmont. It's really a trade-off between Florida and the Piedmont. Piedmont=Better Spring and maybe better fall, Florida=Better Winter. Summer can be miserable in both, Fall can be either too hot in Florida or alright. The actual mountainous areas of the NC, TN, VA, are probably better year around(although winter is horrible) instead of the Piedmont(Foothills).

Last edited by polo89; 11-03-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,804,307 times
Quote:
It get's pretty hot and humid in the summer in the piedmont. The higher elevation isn't as much of a factor as folks think. It get's pretty bad in the summer, especially when you're not close to coast. There's no sea-breeze. And the tree-coverage and higher elevation actually hurts in the winter with the ice. Florida summers are hell. But winters are far better than the Piedmont. It's really a trade-off between Florida and the Piedmont. Piedmont=Better Spring and maybe, Florida=Better Winter. Summer can be miserable in both, Fall can be either too hot in Florida or alright. The actual mountainous areas of the NC, TN, VA, are probably better year around(although winter is horrible) instead of the Piedmont(Foothills).
No problem with that... Just extend it to the general area coming down the southeast. Move up and down depending for your tolerance of heat or cold.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,735,469 times
Quote:
It get's pretty hot and humid in the summer in the piedmont.
Yeahhh that's the thing. I actually really love hot & humid climate quite a lot to be frank.

The thing with the Piedmont cities is that they also get winters too. In all honesty, while the winters are benign compared to the Midwest, Interior West, & Northeast, it's still a winter. I personally hate ice (snow is okay), it makes walking slippery. If you touch ice (I hate too) it's the same feeling I get (goose bumps/chills) as someone taking long finger nails and scratching up & down a chalk board. It just sucks (to me at least).

So no winter, is just bueno for me. I'll take the Florida, Texas, & Arizona climates. We're talking about like 6 months of perfect benign climate here versus allergy season, bee season, continental hot & humid season, & blistering cold icy season.

With that said, climate doesn't dictate what cities make it on my priority list. I could still very much so live in Chicago, New York, Washington, & Boston (or Atlanta) if given the opportunity for any of them but it's just rather a small strike working against their favors for this one thing.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 AM

253 posts, read 569,099 times
Southern New Mexico.

Las Cruces, Silver City, Deming, Alamogordo, and Truth or Consequences

Higher elevation southern Arizona has a good climate too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City