Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the best skyilne, downtown
Pittsburgh 51 14.13%
Minneapolis 24 6.65%
St. Louis 7 1.94%
Philladelphia 55 15.24%
Indianapolis 3 0.83%
Detroit 11 3.05%
Millwaukee 4 1.11%
Miami 30 8.31%
LA 21 5.82%
San Francisco 84 23.27%
San Diego 6 1.66%
Houston 50 13.85%
Cleveland 5 1.39%
Memphis 10 2.77%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM

214 posts, read 241,624 times

Advertisements

And I think that saying Houston's CBD is completely inferior to Pittsburgh's is a bit of a stretch, seeing as how all that HOU's downtown is missing is some germ infested water and foot traffic around the clock. Other than that, its downtown is still much larger, more grand, majestic and more architecturally phenomenal than Pittsburgh's. No offense, but those pictures you posted do the district absolutely no justice.

You have to be joking right? Germ infested water? THe rivers are cleaner then they ever were, and I do believe Houston is one of the most environmentally destroyed areas in this country. More architecturally pheonomenal??????????????? I mean I heard some very stupid things in my life, but this takes the cake. Have you ever even been to Pittsburgh's downtown, or you just talking out of your a$$? Serioulsy, dude, saying that Houstons downtown is more majestic and architecturally phenonomenal over Pittsburgh is either a joke, or the most ignorantly retarded thing ever stated on these boards.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 AM

214 posts, read 241,624 times
and those photos don't do it justice. So now we see you know nothing about architecture and photography. lol

Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJimmy View Post
You have to be joking right? Germ infested water? THe rivers are cleaner then they ever were, and I do believe Houston is one of the most environmentally destroyed areas in this country. More architecturally pheonomenal??????????????? I mean I heard some very stupid things in my life, but this takes the cake. Have you ever even been to Pittsburgh's downtown, or you just talking out of your a$$? Serioulsy, dude, saying that Houstons downtown is more majestic and architecturally phenonomenal over Pittsburgh is either a joke, or the most ignorantly retarded thing ever stated on these boards.
Now see, this would be bashing.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
I voted for STL mainly because I live there and the arch is a very pictureque piece of sculpture. But, which city has a better skyline is completely different from which city has a better downtown. The cities on the list that have the best downtowns are Philly and SF, hands down. Houston and Miami have great skylines/architecture but the buildings are spread out without enough street accessable retail to give those downtowns the vibrant feel that is apparent in San Francisco or Philadelphia.

Urban-Photos.com: City Skyline Photography and Image Galleries: Urban-photos.com
St. Louis? Are you serious? Wow, talk about having a bias. St. Louis is a dump.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
How is Pittsburgh scoring so high...wow! their downtown is not half-bad but damn....we are comparing it to Houston's skyline? And the same with Detroit? Detroit and Pittsburgh don't even come CLOSE to Downtown Houston. I've been to Downtown Houston several times...few downtowns in the United States compare to it or are better. IMO, Seattle has one of the best skylines I've ever seen. For a city of only 3 million people its skyline looks like a city of 6 million people. Their skyline beats Houston by a mile. I would vote Seattle to be one of the top skylines in the United States. I can't BELIEVE that Seattle is not on this list, wake up people! You can't in common sense say Seattle does not have one of the most impressive skylines in the United States. Seattle has a massive skyline in addition to a massive downtown. Memphis? LOL!!! their skyline is nothing....compare to Nashville and Louisville it is small. memphis is a very pretty and great city, don't get me wrong, but it's downtown just should not be on this list. At one point I would've demanded New Orleans be on this list. Also, where are Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, and Kansas City? Denver has a VERY impressive skyline and a big downtown.
I have lived in Seattle for five years. While I would call the downtown and skyline beautiful, I would not call either massive.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Wow. Talk about thoughts from a negative place.

Why the evil comments Scranton? What did Houston ever do to you? First, the terrain is only flat for the most part. Not completely (your northeastern brethren founded the city, so blame them). And the area is not in the least bit "devoid" of bodies of water. The city sits by the Port of Houston with the gorgeous Lake Houston (surrounded by towering cypress and pine) right up the street. So what there's no polluted lake or river flowing amongst downtown? Houston's suddenly inferior because of that? Second, the city's set-up has nothing to do with our often lifeless CBD. That's simply caused by there being little to do there, and things being closed at early hours. The downtown doesn't speak for the rest of the vibrant, active city. Last, people love to pick on Houston for its smog. A flaw that is shared by other world cities like Chicago and New York, who are never persecuted for this fault because of their name.

And I think you should know that third photo you posted is not even Houston. But way to go with the hideous depictions of downtown. Supports your bashing fairly well.
Houston *IS* hideous, void of any character, and worthless. Sorry, the poster was 100% correct about Houston. I definitely feel sorry for anyone who has to live there. Lifeless place, it is.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
How can that list leave out Denver, Portland, and Seattle? All three of those cities have awesome downtown areas.
Seattle - yes
Portland - not so much
Denver - hell no

Seattle's skyline should be on this list. It is beautiful, vibrant and full of life. Portland is a charming little city, but it's downtown is teeny-tiny and there's not much to it. Denver is characterless. Completely.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:17 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Houston *IS* hideous, void of any character, and worthless. Sorry, the poster was 100% correct about Houston. I definitely feel sorry for anyone who has to live there. Lifeless place, it is.
Umm...sure why not.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:28 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Seattle - yes
Portland - not so much
Denver - hell no

Seattle's skyline should be on this list. It is beautiful, vibrant and full of life. Portland is a charming little city, but it's downtown is teeny-tiny and there's not much to it. Denver is characterless. Completely.
so true - absolutely no character what so ever

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/3...2de1599c_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/59/20...2e0a6ec1_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/82/24...c5ea0ea6_o.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/94/22...97b949c5_o.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-17-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 12:32 PM

[quote=Billiam;1561165]so true - absolutely no character what so ever

Yes, absolutely no character - architecturally. The only architecturally interesting building in downtown Denver is the state capitol. Point out another building that isn't anything but bland architecturally. Of course the mountains are beautiful....but downtown Denver is pretty dull. Why would you even post those photos when they prove my point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City