Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 AM

205 posts, read 298,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Hear me out

For all the praise New York gets, i still feel like its underrated in a way. I feel like people unintentionally underrate new york because they just look at the manhattan aspect of it. Thus many of the negatives of the city are based on it being too congested,a rat race,cramped apartments,no homes etc

People dont really look at nyc as a whole but seem to look at places like la,atl,dc and virtually any other city and incorporate all their parts when speaking about those cities.

NYC's only single problem is cost. Just about any other gripe can be solved within nycs city limits

Am i wrong?

You know damn well NYC isn't underrated. You just want to talk about New York some more.

If anything NYC is overexposed. There is no city in the country as praised as NYC.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:22 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's basically what I was trying to say. Sure Brooklyn isn't as popular as Manhattan, but Manhattan is soo much popular than anywhere else in the US, that it kinda balances everything out(if that makes sense).
Yes, absolutely.

Heck, I bet some people could name Brooklyn Bridge before they could name a bridge in their own city. lol

There are just some parts of New York City that are so ingrained in American culture that some people who live elsewhere resent it (not me, personally, just an observation).

I think one reason New York gets left out on a lot of discussions in C-D is because of this overexposure. It's the idea of let's talk about somewhere besides New York. Same goes for LA, and Chicago, to some extent. Everyone already knows about those places. Let's talk about the other great cities in America.

Just my $.02.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
You know damn well NYC isn't underrated. You just want to talk about New York some more.
But can you really say that? By my question I mean, can you really say there are things inside New York that aren't underrated? New York is definitely not the most underrated city in the country, but it has parts that are underrated as hell.

How many people here even know what these things are:
- George Washington Bridge
- Bear Mountain Bridge
- Long Island Sound
- Bear Mountains
- Pelham Islands

I've personally never seen any (if ever) posters in this section of the forum mention any of those things. I think there are things about New York that are underrated and don't get talked about just because someone else in the city is grander, more famous, more historic, or better situated though.
Quote:
If anything NYC is overexposed. There is no city in the country as praised as NYC.
And there is a reason for this.

It's a city that not only controls large media shares, large amounts of wealth, large tourism reserves, & large corporate bases. It built itself and its doing what many other cities fail to do, which is market itself for what it is.

Whatever New York's image is, it is fully earned by what its done to create itself, whether for better or worse.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
if we were to look at what doesn't get talked about, then every city in the county is underrated. NYC is spoken the most highly of on this site. boston also.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Just because there are certain aspects of it people overlook and/or under rate doesn't mean its underated overall. Lots of cities have aspects about them people overlook/under rate, nyc isn't alone in that in the least. It's rated about right overall, some homers on here are just to dense to see not everyone shares their opinion of the city.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
It's not so much that NYC's too big to be viewed as underrated in peoples eyes, it's just that it receives so much acclaim for what people perceive it to be, that the things that NYC does possess but never gets credit for doesn't matter. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it receives too much positive acclaim to be underrated, despite the fact that it doesn't get recognized for it's suburbs.

I mean, for instance, you can post a picture of a suburban neighborhood in the Bronx( a borough stereotyped for it's griminess and crime) and that wouldn't necessarily make NYC underrated, just because it has what people say it doesn't have. That just means NYC is misunderstood, rather than underrated. Because if you look at rankings, NYC is rated pretty high. Can it be rated any higher so that it wouldn't be underrated?
I don't buy that, just because the city as a whole is generally highly praised doesn't mean it can't still be underrated or that it equals out somehow. LA is a great example for this, it's a much loved and highly praised city across the world and the country, but who would agree that it's not underrated at all on any level? It is, all the time, and so is NYC. You can't be "too big to have your feelings hurt" if you know what I mean, something can always be underrated no matter how much praise it gets. Also like I said, people feel it's ok to take shots at NY cause it's so big, but at the same time you can't defend it for the same reason and you get this.

Quote:
See, it's "literally impossible" for NY to be underrated, in any way at all, there shouldn't even be a thread discussing it. That's exactly the attitude that leads to the underrating in the first place, the possibility of it being true in any way is automatically dismissed.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
But can you really say that? By my question I mean, can you really say there are things inside New York that aren't underrated? New York is definitely not the most underrated city in the country, but it has parts that are underrated as hell.

How many people here even know what these things are:
- George Washington Bridge
- Bear Mountain Bridge
- Long Island Sound
- Bear Mountains
- Pelham Islands

I've personally never seen any (if ever) posters in this section of the forum mention any of those things. I think there are things about New York that are underrated and don't get talked about just because someone else in the city is grander, more famous, more historic, or better situated though.

And there is a reason for this.

It's a city that not only controls large media shares, large amounts of wealth, large tourism reserves, & large corporate bases. It built itself and its doing what many other cities fail to do, which is market itself for what it is.

Whatever New York's image is, it is fully earned by what its done to create itself, whether for better or worse.
Exactly, NYC has EARNED it's high ranking, and it's acclaim. Just as some parts of NYC have EARNED there underexposure. For instance, If the BK Bridge is more talked about than the Verazano, than maybe the Verazano just isn't as grand, it doesn't mean the Verazano is underrated, it just doesn't deserve the acclaim. I'm sure people in the Bay Area think the Oakland Bay Bridge is underrated because of the Golden Gate. NYC gets more than enough, some areas of NYC are under-exposed for a reason. Some people just don't care for Brooklyn's amenities, regardless of Manhattan eclipsing it.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Exactly, NYC has EARNED it's high ranking, and it's acclaim. Just as some parts of NYC have EARNED there underexposure. For instance, If the BK Bridge is more talked about than the Verazano, than maybe the Verazano just isn't as grand, it doesn't mean the Verazano is underrated, it just doesn't deserve the acclaim. I'm sure people in the Bay Area think the Oakland Bay Bridge is underrated because of the Golden Gate. NYC gets more than enough, some areas of NYC are under-exposed for a reason. Some people just don't care for Brooklyn's amenities, regardless of Manhattan eclipsing it.
I agree with that too, so just so you know, I'm not arguing whether or not any underrating is deserved or not, maybe it is. I'm just saying that it's there, as opposed to people who say it doesn't exist at all.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I don't buy that, just because the city as a whole is generally highly praised doesn't mean it can't still be underrated or that it equals out somehow. LA is a great example for this, it's a much loved and highly praised city across the world and the country, but who would agree that it's not underrated at all on any level? It is, all the time, and so is NYC. You can't be "too big to have your feelings hurt" if you know what I mean, something can always be underrated no matter how much praise it gets. Also like I said, people feel it's ok to take shots at NY cause it's so big, but at the same time you can't defend it for the same reason and you get this.

See, it's "literally impossible" for NY to be underrated, in any way at all, there shouldn't even be a thread discussing it. That's exactly the attitude that leads to the underrating in the first place, the possibility of it being true in any way is automatically dismissed.
I mean, NYC is rated so high. What can people talk about positively about NYC, that would give NYC it's due credit as a city? Everything positive under the sun has been said about it already, that I can't really think of anything that'll make me say "Wow, New York City is underrated, I didn't know it had this, that or the other", I've already heard it all. Everyone loves that city(Well, not everyone). So, there are parts of the city that are underrated, but only parts of it are.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:54 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
LA is a great example for this, it's a much loved and highly praised city across the world and the country
LA is a pretty bad example actually as it gets a lot of hate and scorn compared to cities like san Francisco, both on this site and the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City