U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 32 15.24%
#3, After Washington 25 11.90%
Neither 153 72.86%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 04:02 AM

528 posts, read 970,041 times

Advertisements

Neither. There's LA/NY and then maybe SF. DC is the nation's capital and is therefore exempt from inclusion, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 PM

337 posts, read 646,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago'sFinest View Post
Anyone who puts SF/Bay Area in the top 3 is insane. SF is 5th or 6th. Alot of yall from the Bay dont seem to understand that places like New York/Chicago are defined as more than just a city or a metro area, they're the kings of an ENTIRE region. New York runs an ENTIRE fuking region of the US, and Chicago runs an ENTIRE fuking region as well. NYC is by far the most important overall city in America. And if we split the US into "coastal" and "inland" then NYC by far is the most important coastal city while Chicago is by far the most important inland city. The fact that Chicago is so far off the coast and still holds tremendous economic weight is one of the unique things it has over places like DC, SF, BOST. And NYC and CHI extend beyond their metros and ways you cant measure or put stats to. Meanwhile, SF fights LA on its own coast to be the king. Nobody is near NY/Chicago's status as far as running an entire region.

You cant be a top 2 city in the USA without being the unquestioned leader of a region. And you cant say that SF runs their region because LA is there. So you cant put SF with NY, CHI, LA. San Francisco is with Washington DC which is unique because of it being the nation's capital.
Exactly and DC runs the ENTIRE country...

Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 964,063 times
For importance my ranking would be.....

1. New York
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco

Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM

82 posts, read 66,621 times
I think the Bay Area is debatably #3. One could reasonably argue for or against.

#1 is NYC (no debate)

#2 is LA (no debate)

After that, it gets murky. It could be DC, Chicago, or the Bay Area, depending on the metrics compared. I think a reasonable argument can be made for any of these three cities as #3.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM

And folks ripping on the Bay Area economy are clueless.

The Bay Area has a bigger economy than Chicagoland. It's a huge area, and extremely wealthy.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,259,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
I think the Bay Area is debatably #3. One could reasonably argue for or against.

#1 is NYC (no debate)

#2 is LA (no debate)

After that, it gets murky. It could be DC, Chicago, or the Bay Area, depending on the metrics compared. I think a reasonable argument can be made for any of these three cities as #3.
no debate with LA at number 2??? I think a lot of people would debate that actually.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,207,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
And folks ripping on the Bay Area economy are clueless.

The Bay Area has a bigger economy than Chicagoland. It's a huge area, and extremely wealthy.
Not sure what exactly that has to do with anything, especially considering California and the bay area's double-diget unemployment. Silcon Valley(even their unemployment is higher than the national average) being productive sure does not seem to equal a stable job market.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM

11,831 posts, read 9,858,641 times
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington DC
Bay Area

That seems reasonable enough to me-even though I feel "Bay Area" is a bit of a cop-out needed to feed the egos of Franciscan residents.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
no debate with LA at number 2??? I think a lot of people would debate that actually.
Point taken, but people on City Data will debate anything. I'm sure there's someone on City Data who will claim that Des Moines is #1 in America.

My point is that 95% of reasonable folks won't debate LA at #2. LA is much, much bigger than any other city (obviously excepting NYC) and has a much, much bigger economy than any other city (again, obviously excepting NYC).

Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Not sure what exactly that has to do with anything, especially considering California and the bay area's double-diget unemployment. Silcon Valley(even their unemployment is higher than the national average) being productive sure does not seem to equal a stable job market.
Really? You think relative economic size is irrelevent?

So then why is NYC #1 if it's irrelevent that it's the biggest city and richest economy? Maybe vote for Biloxi, MS if size is irrelevent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or