Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 PM

205 posts, read 297,257 times

Advertisements

Or neither? When it comes to recognition, infleunce, importance and power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 PM

239 posts, read 304,312 times
I like San Francisco, but it is not on LA's level. Neither is Washington. And this is strictly from a ranking/statistics standpoint, not my opinion on which city I personally like better.

You hear lots of crazy things on City-Data, but no matter what anyone tells you, New York and LA are the centers of American culture.

Last edited by HAC NY; 02-27-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,962,926 times
# 3, in my opinion and after Washington DC. And I'm not factoring culture, factoring everything else besides that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
I like San Francisco, but it is not on the level of LA. Neither is Washington.
Why not? Would you say both are at the level of Chicago at this point or getting there soon?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
# 3, in my opinion and after Washington DC. And I'm not factoring culture, factoring everything else.

Why not? Would you say both are at the level of Chicago at this point or getting there soon?
LA's industry (or whatever it has left of it) is antiquated and dying but is still currently the #2 city in the United States. That will not change for a long time. Barring a massive natural disaster on epic proportions in LA, we will all be long dead by the time SF takes LA's spot in hierarchy. For SF and DC's size, they do pack a lot of punch but they're still not LA.

For comparison, for Qatar's size, it packs a lot of power (and even has a much higher output than the US per capita). Is Qatar as influential as the United States? Is Qatar greater than the United States? As rich? Will Qatar ever be as powerful as the United States? Replace Qatar with Singapore (which also has a higher output per capita) and ask yourself the same questions. The answer is no.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,381,687 times
Quote:
Would you say both are at the level of Chicago at this point or getting there soon?
In this order NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, and DC. SF isnt on NYC, Chicago, or LA's level, sorry

Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM

5,431 posts, read 5,662,485 times
Voted neither. I think both LA and Chicago are ahead of SF.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,962,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
In this order NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, and DC. SF isnt on NYC, Chicago, or LA's level, sorry
This is straight false that you think places aren't comparable because of the size factor alone. Print what you just said and throw it in the recycle bin (LOL), almost hilarious that you continue to deny the reality of it all.

Do I think every major city plays a very significant role in America? Hell yes I do.

Do I think some cities are more cut out for top tier performance than others? Yes, I do.

Want to know something though, for all the New York, Chicago, & Los Angeles boosting you and many others on here do and all the Anti-Bay Area sentiments you have don't work out, your post here is designated to do is talk about the Bay Area as if its some one trick pony inferior to New York, Chicago, & Los Angeles when you cant recount on it being an apples to apples case. What does Los Angeles have that Bay Area doesn't? Gross Domestic Product size? Yeah, I guess so for now. Film Industry? Yeah I assume so, even though the margin isn't that big between the two now.

Look up market shares on profits earned by the Film Industry, New York tops out with 64% of the total profits, Los Angeles comes in second with something in the early 20%'s, & Bay Area comes in third with 13%. One out of the Big 6 Film Production studios are in the Bay Area, 1 is in Los Angeles, 4 are in New York.

Yes Los Angeles has the largest concentration of Film Production work in the entire country, and that's a credible thing but the Bay Area is that much more dynamic and diverse with its options in nearly all other aspects economically.

And Chicago? Yeah okay, I get Chicago is a better Financial Center than the Bay Area, it is the main Commodities Exchange Point in the world, and is in the bidding process to acquire NYSE to add even more clout to what it already has in its collection of a far better financial market than Bay Area. Yeah I know that, I never overlooked it either, nor did I overlook that it does exponentially larger scale manufacturing (as does Los Angeles) than the Bay Area & Transportation of Services and Utilities. I also know Aeronautics & Aviation are sectors that Chicago demolishes the Bay Area in, but those are all limited fields compared to the broad scope of everything put forth.

But every metric you can come up with from Venture Capital, Educational attainment & institutions, Banking, Energy, Commerce, the Bay Area absolutely dwarfs Chicago & Los Angeles.

I guess its just always going to be my opinion that it deserves way more recognition for prominence than Chicago & Los Angeles, but hey until its GDP surpasses Los Angeles you wont believe otherwise. The only thing that cuts the Bay Area (and DMV) back from ANY argument will always and forever be the "size" factor. I know it, its always going to be what people look at, population numbers & GDP figures, yeah freakin right. As if GDP indicates the wealth of a region, saying China & India presently are richer than economies and regions much wealthier and in better financial state than them is ludicrous. Los Angeles has a higher population & GDP than Paris, is it more important? Chicago has a higher GDP than London, is it more important? The answer is an astounding and absolute NO.

The difference between comparing countries & cities are that in countries the size makes all the difference, geographical size, population size, and economic output size, they make a difference, they absolutely do not make as near an impact on the attributes on powerful global cities. I'm not underestimating Chicago & Los Angeles, personally both can make an argument for # 2 in the country depending on what aspects you want to look at, but the most cohesive choices (in my opinion) are DMV & Bay Area for # 2 & # 3. However with that said, I do believe Chicago & Los Angeles are easily Top 5 material in the country though.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-28-2011 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
But every metric you can come up with from Venture Capital, Educational attainment & institutions, Banking, Energy, Commerce, the Bay Area absolutely dwarfs Chicago & Los Angeles.
By this measurement, Boston > Los Angeles. Do you really believe that?

And yes, size is very important when it comes to hierarchy. It certainly isn't the be-all end-all (see dumps like Kolkata and Jakarta), but you can't dismiss the importance of size. That's something DC and SF will never have.

Last edited by HAC NY; 02-27-2011 at 11:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 PM

36,959 posts, read 38,958,719 times
I'd probably go for third after NYC and DC. The Bay Area's research and development in a huge number of fields within both the public and private sectors, tie for second largest location of large corporate headquarters, and firm position as one of the leading financial services hubs of the US puts it slightly above both the Los Angeles and Chicago area. A more direct comparison shows that the Bay Area isn't far behind Chicago in population or GDP while both Chicago and the Bay Area are ranked well above Los Angeles when it comes to financial services and corporate headquarters. When it comes to the amount of spending for research and development (ie innovations in different fiels) in both private and public sectors, the Bay Area pretty much dwarfs every other metro in the nation.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 PM

36,959 posts, read 38,958,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
By this measurement, Boston > Los Angeles. Do you really believe that?

And yes, size is very important when it comes to hierarchy. It certainly isn't the be all end all (see dumps like Kolkata and Jakarta), but you can't dismiss the important size. That's something DC and SF will never have.
No, because Boston still pales in most of those areas compared to the Bay Area while also having a smaller metro. All those factors should be taken in and it's not just those institutions that Boston and the Bay Area have or just the large population and gross metropolitan product that Los Angeles has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City