Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
What's confusing about that sentence? Baltimore or DC are the most walk able cities in the south technically but because they really aren't the south Miami/ATL/NO etc are the most walkabout cities in the south. I've never been to NO, but I've heard the real only urban area that is walk able is the French Quarter/Downtown. Miami has several districts that are extremely walk able.
They aren't the south at all.
Someone lied to you. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, most of New Orleans proper is in fact very walkable and urban. Look at a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,921,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC is neither northern or southern. It is by itself in the mid-Atlantic. One of the most unique cities in the whole nation.
Baltimore, New York City, and Philadelphia are also in the Mid-Atlantic. Boston is the most distinct from the other Northeastern cities because it's in New England.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,219,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
What's confusing about that sentence? Baltimore or DC are the most walk able cities in the south technically but because they really aren't the south Miami/ATL/NO etc are the most walkabout cities in the south. I've never been to NO, but I've heard the real only urban area that is walk able is the French Quarter/Downtown. Miami has several districts that are extremely walk able.
You probably heard that about New Orleans from someone who didn't venture outside of the CBD/French Quarter. New Orleans is a very walkable city. The pre-1940's city is about 20 square miles and has an average density of about 10,000. I have known many people throughout my life (i'm 22), who still do not own cars and did not even get their driver's licenses until they were probably 20. Due to the urban core's density and transportation, and the actual street-grid/sidewalks, New Orleans is BY FAR the only walkable city in the South if you don't count DC or Baltimore as Southern, which I know most of you don't. I take the bus/streetcar often in New Orleans and I mostly drive more often than public transport because I live on the westbank of the river. However, one can see people walking all over the urban core of New Orleans.

Just because NOLA has an area that is extremely dense with buildings and people (CBD/French Quarter) on a level higher than ANY southern city does not mean that the rest of the city is not walkable.

Also, yes Miami has several "districts" that are walkable. New Orleans has an entire swath of the city where the majority of people live.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,935,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have. Keep in mind that Southern accents are not the same everywhere you go. Houston people do not sound like Atlantans. Memphians do not like sound like Miamians. Charlotteans do not sound like New Orleanians.
Yes I've kept that in mind. I'm black and I do not have an accent. I've asked a Midwesterner, New Englander, a deep southerner, a Brit, and Aussie if I have an accent and they said I just sound like a typical American. My family members in Virginia do not have an accent, the people in the store I talk to, see at work, overhear in the mall,etc.. do not have accents. You're painting us with a broad brush because it isn't a few degrees north.

Quote:
Could you explain this? How is that Hampton Roads and Richmond so much different compared to Houston (especially) and Nashville? How is that the latter two retain their Southern qualities as you say and not Richmond and Hampton Roads. You are the very first Virginian on this board that has argued that Virginia isn't a Southern state. What makes Virginia, a state historically very Southern, so much different than the other border state of Texas, which is also historically very Southern.
I'm not the first Virginian on this board to say that since it has come up a few times on the Virginia forum with some visitor arguing that he walked into a restaurant and saw Lipton sweet tea on the menu. Virginia might be historically southern(like DC) because of it's past from the 19th century, but it's definitely changed even more so over the past two decades with transplants moving into Richmond and NOVA and the military in Hampton Roads. You could take a line starting from Virginia Beach and draw a U shaped line up into DC to see where the cultural line in Virginia is. You're not going to see people Nova,Richmond, or Hampton Roads walking around eating cornbread, sporting Confederate flags, or racing their trucks through mud off in some vacant field like you would in the western part of the state. Like I said earlier, Virginia might have been the capital of the Confederacy, but no one here except some dixies is actually proud of that. Unfortunately the title of southern is going to stay with us despite it being washed away from DC and Maryland.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Yes I've kept that in mind. I'm black and I do not have an accent. I've asked a Midwesterner, New Englander, a deep southerner, a Brit, and Aussie if I have an accent and they said I just sound like a typical American. My family members in Virginia do not have an accent, the people in the store I talk to, see at work, overhear in the mall,etc.. do not have accents. You're painting us with a broad brush because it isn't a few degrees north.
Likewise, you're painting millions with a broad brush just because you believe you are a few degrees North. I've been told I don't have an accent either. Guess what, everybody in the South doesn't have an accent. Many are just as neutral as the next. A Philadelphian on here was surprised to hear one from Dallas sounded the way she did. He did not expect that. I've met Southerners that are just as neutral as anywhere else. I've also met many Midwestern Blacks that sound like they came from the backwoods of Mississippi. So what are you saying here? You and your people may not have an accent. Does that mean everybody else in Richmond doesn't?

Quote:
I'm not the first Virginian on this board to say that since it has come up a few times on the Virginia forum with some visitor arguing that he walked into a restaurant and saw Lipton sweet tea on the menu. Virginia might be historically southern(like DC) because of it's past from the 19th century, but it's definitely changed even more so over the past two decades with transplants moving into Richmond and NOVA and the military in Hampton Roads. You could take a line starting from Virginia Beach and draw a U shaped line up into DC to see where the cultural line in Virginia is. You're not going to see people Nova,Richmond, or Hampton Roads walking around eating cornbread, sporting Confederate flags, or racing their trucks through mud off in some vacant field like you would in the western part of the state. Like I said earlier, Virginia might have been the capital of the Confederacy, but no one here except some dixies is actually proud of that. Unfortunately the title of southern is going to stay with us despite it being washed away from DC and Maryland.
Your Virginia board is not that different from the Texas board. This is also a neverending topic amongst Texans. Just like Texans, I'm willing to believe that an overwhelming majority in the Virginia board believes they are Southern over anything else. You're painting the South as one monolithic area. Sorry, it's not 1865 anymore. I've never seen a Virginian in the city vs city forum or general us forum say VA is anything else but Southern. But hey. Now in bold, I guess this is what Southern is to you. Guess what, you're not going to see this in Houston either (the city you used as an example, not mine). Or Miami, or Dallas unless you're in the far exurbs.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Likewise, you're painting millions with a broad brush just because you believe you are a few degrees North. I've been told I don't have an accent either. Guess what, everybody in the South doesn't have an accent. Many are just as neutral as the next. A Philadelphian on here was surprised to hear one from Dallas sounded the way she did. He did not expect that. I've met Southerners that are just as neutral as anywhere else. I've also met many Midwestern Blacks that sound like they came from the backwoods of Mississippi. So what are you saying here? You and your people may not have an accent. Does that mean everybody else in Richmond doesn't?
But I'm not because I don't believe those areas are like northern cities. You're the one who's affirming that they're southern because of accents.

Quote:
Your Virginia board is not that different from the Texas board. This is also a neverending topic amongst Texans. Just like Texans, I'm willing to believe that an overwhelming majority in the Virginia board believes they are Southern over anything else. You're painting the South as one monolithic area. Sorry, it's not 1865 anymore. I've never seen a Virginian in the city vs city forum or general us forum say VA is anything else but Southern. But hey. Now in bold, I guess this is what Southern is to you. Guess what, you're not going to see this in Houston either (the city you used as an example, not mine). Or Miami, or Dallas unless you're in the far exurbs.
I used those examples to exaggerate what people think of when they think of the south which is what people routinely think of when they call this area south. I have to ask you since I assume you've been here: What makes Nova, Norfolk, and Richmond southern?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
But I'm not because I don't believe those areas are like northern cities. You're the one who's affirming that they're southern because of accents.
I only spoke on accents because you said that Richmond and Norfolk aren't Southern because they don't have accents. Or at least accents similar to what you think is Southern. I was just saying that what is a Southern accent? Because New Orleanians do not sound like Houstonians. Heck, Houstonians do not even sound like Dallasites. Yet they are in the same state.

Quote:
I used those examples to exaggerate what people think of when they think of the south which is what people routinely think of when they call this area south. I have to ask you since I assume you've been here: What makes Nova, Norfolk, and Richmond southern?
Very stereotypical exagerration. I lived in NOVA for a few years and in DC now. I have said that NOVA is probably the only area in Virginia that is not Southern. But the rest of the state to my experience is indeed Southern. I don't find much of a difference between Richmond, Hampton Roads, and North Carolina. Richmond may have rowhouses. So does Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans. Historically they are Southern, the feel is different from DC, Baltimore, and especially Philadelphia. I could go on.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I only spoke on accents because you said that Richmond and Norfolk aren't Southern because they don't have accents. Or at least accents similar to what you think is Southern. I was just saying that what is a Southern accent? Because New Orleanians do not sound like Houstonians. Heck, Houstonians do not even sound like Dallasites. Yet they are in the same state.
Okay well until you can point to me what you think a typical Richmonder or Norfolkian accent is then this probably isn't going to go anywhere. Norfolk and Hampton Roads has a large population of transients and transplants from all over the US as does Richmond with northern transplants.

Quote:
Very stereotypical exagerration. I lived in NOVA for a few years and in DC now. I have said that NOVA is probably the only area in Virginia that is not Southern. But the rest of the state to my experience is indeed Southern. I don't find much of a difference between Richmond, Hampton Roads, and North Carolina. Richmond may have rowhouses. So does Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans. Historically they are Southern, the feel is different from DC, Baltimore, and especially Philadelphia. I could go on.
Please go on then or agree to disagree. I've lived in back and forth between Richmond and Hampton Roads my whole life. I've been to the northern cities described and the southern ones on multiple occasions because I have familiy in them. Before my parents moved to Virginia they lived in DC. My mom always tells me that she likes Richmond because it reminds her a lot of DC. For me, both Richmond and Norfolk remind me of it, but they feel more like smaller Baltimores. Until this topic, I had never equated Richmond or Norfolk with cities like Charleston, Savannah, or New Orleans since they feel a lot different. I'm not blowing smoke or trying to be a contrian. Those are my experiences and from my experiences they feel a lot more like mid-atlantic cities than they do southern ones.

And to go off on a tangent right quick about my exaggeration: I've had some bad experiences in the deep south from people who fit in under the stereotypical description of a southerner.

Last edited by Octa; 08-06-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 01:16 PM

46 posts, read 79,088 times
My top three:

1) DC - although the edges of the city (upper NW, NE, and far SE) aren't the most walkable, most parts of DC are very pedestrian friendly and easily accesible, especially neighborhoods the radiate from downtown (Dupont, Foggy Bottom, NOMA, Columbia Heights, Shaw, Adams Morgan, etc.). Since the city is so small, it's not hard to walk from say, 7th and Florida to 18th and Florida (as far as accessibility is concerned).
2) Bmore - should be number one but outside of the core and neighborhoods close to it, there isn't much to do. so if there's no where to walk to, it can't be the most walkable.
3) New Orleans - is like the southern Philly. NOLA has a lot of history, character, and cultural richness that no other city in the deep south can match. as a result, a lot of neighborhoods close to the core are dense and walkable

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times
This DC/Baltimore stuff is killing me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City