U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Midwest fight, which city is best. highrise buildings, and architecture, to parks and waterfronts.
Milwaukee 15 7.50%
Detroit 14 7.00%
Chicago 100 50.00%
Indianapolis 12 6.00%
St. Louis 20 10.00%
Minneapolis 26 13.00%
Cleveland 13 6.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM

609 posts, read 2,676,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I repeat again...CINCINNATI, COLUMBUS, AND KANSAS CITY NEED TO BE ON THIS LIST. CINCINNATI AS THE SIXTH LARGEST METRO IN THE MIDWEST NEEDS RECOGNITION, AS WELL AS COLUMBUS BEING INDIANAPOLIS' TWIN PRACTICALLY. AND KANSAS CITY BEING THE EIGHTH LARGEST METRO NEEDS RECOGNITION ON HERE AS WELL. IF YOU WANT A FAIR COMPARISON THESE THREE CITIES ARE ABSOLUTE MUSTS TO INCLUDE.
I also would add that if you take away chicago, that levels the playing field. Chicago after all is the 3rd largest metropolitan area in the country and an alpha world city.

The rest of the midwestern cities are relatively fair comparisons.

I agree that Cincy, Columbus, KC needs to be on the list. I dont remember if Milwaukee was mentioned either.

So excluding Chicago: here are my favs.

1. St. Louis (still better weather than MSP)
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul
3. Cleveland
4. MIlwaukee (close proximity to chi-town)
5. Indianapolis same reason
6. KC
7. Columbus
8. Cincy
9. Detroit

Ok, so for the smaller cities:
1. Omaha
2. Des Moines
3. Madison

Honestly, dont care much for the other Ohio towns outside the big 3 C's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM

606 posts, read 2,737,625 times
dang STL is ranking, I thought it would be blown away by all the other great midwest cities. alright here are my top in order. somebodys got to break the trend of chicago on top.
1. Detroit
2.Chicago
3.Cleveland
4.Minneapolis
5.Indianapolis
6.Milwaukee
7.Cincy
8.St. Louis

Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM

333 posts, read 1,313,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKing59 View Post
dang STL is ranking, I thought it would be blown away by all the other great midwest cities. alright here are my top in order. somebodys got to break the trend of chicago on top.
1. Detroit
2.Chicago
3.Cleveland
4.Minneapolis
5.Indianapolis
6.Milwaukee
7.Cincy
8.St. Louis
detroit? cleveland? this guy's got jokes.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,655,523 times
Quote:
1. Detroit
2.Chicago
3.Cleveland
4.Minneapolis
5.Indianapolis
6.Milwaukee
7.Cincy
8.St. Louis
Ok,, I'll play along...

Out of curiosity, and in the interest of furthering my own knowledge, I've the following two questions:

1. What criteria are being used to rank these in your list?
2. How much time have you physically spent in each of these cities?

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,634,067 times
Quote:
1. Detroit
2.Chicago
3.Cleveland
4.Minneapolis
5.Indianapolis
6.Milwaukee
7.Cincy
8.St. Louis
You honestly expected St. Louis to be blown away, and how is not one of the great Midwest cities? Apart from Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities, St. Louis I'd say tops everything else on this list and ties or passes Cleveland. As the fourth largest metro in the Midwest, I'd say we are right where we belong. And in fact I think St. Louis tops Detroit. Cleveland and St. Louis are VERY similar to one another apart from their climates, with the exception of their waterfronts. Having relatives in both cities I have had a good chance to explore both cities....both are strikingly similar from my experience. I would change the list around to be like this:

1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis
3. St. Louis
4. Cleveland
5. Detroit
6. Cincinnati
7. Indianapolis
8. Milwaukee

Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,172,814 times
The poll results are worthless without the proper inclusion of Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Columbustucky, and Kansas City
... or San Francisco, "that Mid-Western city," according to Gatsby.

Cleveland and St Louis ARE alike: ghetto inner cities surrounded by a thousand little suburbs that are small enough to fit under your fingernails, with the most notable ones being richer than most of New Jersey, yet getting no respect.

Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, St Louis, etc require someone to live there in order to appreciate them. They are not destinations like San Francisco or Seattle. Also, after visiting Chicago, it's hard to impress someone from Asia or Europe with a Cleveland or a St Louis. However, every clown that talks up NYC or LA rarely goes into their downtowns or a sports game ... they're sitting in their neighborhood bars, or their overpriced house's den, e-thugging on some internet forum about the "chic" attributes of NYC, LA, Miami, etc when they know they would be the first to be shot, just like in the rough part of some 'non cool' Midwestern city.

The next poll/thread to consider would be midsize Midwestern cities, although it's pretty obvious that the Ann Arbors and Madisons will beat out the Flints and Youngstowns.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 PM

102 posts, read 408,986 times
It's Chicago and Minneapolis and then everything else. Those two cities are in a league of their own as far as Midwest cities go. Chicago obviously is much bigger and has more everything basically. But it's too big for me which is why Minneapolis is the only city I would want to live in in the Midwest.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,172,814 times
I haven't been in Minneapolis for MANY years. My aunt/uncle/cousins (also from metro Detroit) drove all the way there last year for, yes, a visit to the Mall of America.

I'll be going to Minneapolis hopefully next summer, along with Duluth and Lutsen. If I don't make it to the Mall ... will Garrison Keillor and Jesse Ventura stop me from leaving? What about Walter Mondale?

I think Minneapolis claims to be more hip than it is (like Hubert Humphrey), but I need to do a 'fact finding' mission first.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,086,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicman25 View Post
It's Chicago and Minneapolis and then everything else. Those two cities are in a league of their own as far as Midwest cities go. Chicago obviously is much bigger and has more everything basically. But it's too big for me which is why Minneapolis is the only city I would want to live in in the Midwest.
There wouldn't be much difference on any list of mine between St. Louis and the Twin Cities. And that would be St. Louis first then Twin cities...but pretty interchangeable for me on any list.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,634,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The poll results are worthless without the proper inclusion of Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Columbustucky, and Kansas City
... or San Francisco, "that Mid-Western city," according to Gatsby.

Cleveland and St Louis ARE alike: ghetto inner cities surrounded by a thousand little suburbs that are small enough to fit under your fingernails, with the most notable ones being richer than most of New Jersey, yet getting no respect.

Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, St Louis, etc require someone to live there in order to appreciate them. They are not destinations like San Francisco or Seattle. Also, after visiting Chicago, it's hard to impress someone from Asia or Europe with a Cleveland or a St Louis. However, every clown that talks up NYC or LA rarely goes into their downtowns or a sports game ... they're sitting in their neighborhood bars, or their overpriced house's den, e-thugging on some internet forum about the "chic" attributes of NYC, LA, Miami, etc when they know they would be the first to be shot, just like in the rough part of some 'non cool' Midwestern city.

The next poll/thread to consider would be midsize Midwestern cities, although it's pretty obvious that the Ann Arbors and Madisons will beat out the Flints and Youngstowns.

I agree 100% with that statement MTYPEX....you really do need to live in those cities to gain an appreciation for them. Not unlike most cities of the United States...Chicago is among a select few cities in the United States that doesn't require one to live in them to truly appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City