Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
See that's the thing. It's pretty much just your opinion that Houston is bigger business or more cosmopolitan so we could argue for days. However, Houston metro is not bigger than Atlanta so the facts clearly condradict you. I say metro because city proper limits are arbitrary and formed long ago.
Houston metro and proper are both larger than Atlanta. The only thing about Atlanta that's bigger than Houston is your tallest skyscraper.

Quote:
I also think your wrong about HOuston being convenient internationally. I will admit Houston has a better port than Atlanta (lol I know) but Atlanta wins in air travel. As someone else posted, Atl is the busiest airport in the world both in flights and # of passengers. As far as international travel from Asia, it mostly goes through LAX and elsewhere through one of NY's airports.
but Atlanta has the largest numer of destinations with 239 vs 182 for GB intercontinental.
Okay. So what you're saying is that Atlanta is the most important city in the country.

Quote:
Most of the country's perceptions place both Houston and ATL behind LA,NY,and Chicago but probably see Atlanta as more important than Houston.
Since when. Where did you get these facts? May I see the results of this lovely poll you took?

The point is, anyone who knows what they're talking about knows that Houston has more international presence than Atlanta. Here's the list of alpha, beta, and gamma cities done by the GaWC.(I swear, the moderators should issue each new member a copy of this upon registration, lol).

New York City: 12 Points
Chicago and Los Angeles: 10 Points
San Francisco: 9 Points
Houston; Washington, D.C.; Boston; Dallas: 6 Points
Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis: 4 Points
Philadelphia: 3 Points

Besides, if there's in city in the South that some people in the country might mistake as being more influential than Houston, it's Miami.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM

607 posts, read 2,979,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
Houston, atlanta isn't that great of a city, houston has it by far.
how come it says cityKing posted, and you click it and it comes to Jake1256, weird!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I thin the issue here is once again, Metro vs. City proper. Of Course the city of Houston has more immigration and is more diverse than the city of Atlanta given the huge difference in land area and population. I'm too lazy to compare diversity levels of both metros but I promise you metro Atlanta is not black and white.
Maybe not, but it's still not as diverse as Houston. Houston's only competition are NY, LA, and DC according to some users.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:16 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Maybe not, but it's still not as diverse as Houston. Houston's only competition are NY, LA, and DC according to some users.
Have to add Chicago to that as well as Miami. Chicago has a large hispanic base. The city has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the United States. Larger Puerto Rican and Dominican population. City has the 2nd most blacks and metro the 3rd most. I could go on but I think it is up there with those 4.

Same with Miami.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Houston metro and proper are both larger than Atlanta. The only thing about Atlanta that's bigger than Houston is your tallest skyscraper.

Okay. So what you're saying is that Atlanta is the most important city in the country.

Since when. Where did you get these facts? May I see the results of this lovely poll you took?

The point is, anyone who knows what they're talking about knows that Houston has more international presence than Atlanta. Here's the list of alpha, beta, and gamma cities done by the GaWC.(I swear, the moderators should issue each new member a copy of this upon registration, lol).

New York City: 12 Points
Chicago and Los Angeles: 10 Points
San Francisco: 9 Points
Houston; Washington, D.C.; Boston; Dallas: 6 Points
Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis: 4 Points
Philadelphia: 3 Points

Besides, if there's in city in the South that some people in the country might mistake as being more influential than Houston, it's Miami.

You just can't admit that Houston and Atl are comparable can you? lol
You're right that MEtro Houston is larger than Metro Atlanta but the difference is not great in context to how big the numbers are. Besides, Metro Atlanta's higher rate of growth will let it surpass Houston's soon.

My airline statistics were only to help prove my point about Houston. I'm not so delusional to think Atl ranks with LA,NY, etc.

Sorry to disappoint but I have no poll to show you. But you have made several claims about Houston's preeminance over Atlanta that have no support either. Btw maybe we should join our two debates since they take up two threads now lol.

Oh, and didn't Atlanta host the 96 Olympics? Has HOuston ever received such international attention?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:38 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,159 times
Quote:
You're right that MEtro Houston is larger than Metro Atlanta but the difference is not great in context to how big the numbers are. Besides, Metro Atlanta's higher rate of growth will let it surpass Houston's soon.

My airline statistics were only to help prove my point about Houston. I'm not so delusional to think Atl ranks with LA,NY, etc.

Sorry to disappoint but I have no poll to show you. But you have made several claims about Houston's preeminance over Atlanta that have no support either. Btw maybe we should join our two debates since they take up two threads now lol.

Oh, and didn't Atlanta host the 96 Olympics? Has HOuston ever received such international attention?

Agree with your Olympics reference.

But one thing I must point out a/b Atlanta's airport situation is that Atlanta only has one major commercial airport. Houston has Intercontinental and Hobby. Ellington is still year's away. So does DFW in DFW Int'l and Dallas Love field, and Collin Co. Regional is years away from making impact. So in terms of number of flights, you have to remember that Houston does have a very busy secondary airport in Houston Hobby, which is a hub for SWA.

I dont disagree with the amt. of int'l service that Atlanta has, though I do cast some doubt in whether the city itself can support such service without Delta being hubbed there...as Atlanta's O/D traffic vs. connecting traffic numbers are much less than more prominent US cities such as SF, NYC, etc. And I'll admit the same thing for DFW and even Houston to some extent as well. But more Atlanta than Houston or DFW. If Virgin America decides to build up in either Dallas or Houston, the numbers will increase even more at both their principle airports as well as increased traffic at their secondary airports....FAA coined the term "southwest effect"...which you have in Atlanta via "Air Tran".

I admit Atlanta has more int'l service...but we must use a little perspective...lots of cities had int'l service that by itself cannot support it without a hub. Very few US cities can support Int'l service in its own right...NYC being probably the one of the top 5 O/D markets in the world.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Have to add Chicago to that as well as Miami. Chicago has a large hispanic base. The city has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the United States. Larger Puerto Rican and Dominican population. City has the 2nd most blacks and metro the 3rd most. I could go on but I think it is up there with those 4.

Same with Miami.
Okay sure, but what about all those other countries down here. I can't possibly argue against the fact that Chicago and Miami are diverse, but I don't see Miami as a competition of Houston in that area.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
They are comparable, they just aren't equal.

Quote:
Yeah, you keep hoping for that.

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but I have no poll to show you. But you have made several claims about Houston's preeminance over Atlanta that have no support either.
Actually, I just posted a list from a reliable source that points out precisely how Houston is considered to have more international power than Atlanta.

Quote:
New York City itself has never hosted an Olympic show. What's your point?

It doesn't strike me as odd that the first time I would be having this specific discussion (Houston vs. Atlanta) that it would be with someone from Atlanta. Do you see what I'm saying? The only people here that think Atlanta is more important are the people from Atlanta. Look at the poll. Houston and Atlanta are compared and seen as sprawling messes, but I'm sure that Houston is winning this poll because people know that it's bigger, highly more diversified with a wider variety of cultures. More cosmopolitan.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Okay sure, but what about all those other countries down here. I can't possibly argue against the fact that Chicago and Miami are diverse, but I don't see Miami as a competition of Houston in that area.
I can. I lived there. And the area is very diverse. Very large European population, a more balanced hispanic population than Houston (meaning a huge number of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Central Americans, South Americans), large Brazillian population. The only thing Miami lacks compared to Houston is the number of East Asians like the Vietnamese and Chinese. Other than that, Miami matches up well. They are the only city in the south that can go toe to toe with Houston.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:12 PM

150 posts, read 688,861 times
Quote:
I disagree completely. First off Houston is Houston, people around the world know Houston, not Atlanta. Houston dominates two VERY important industries energy, and medicine. What does Atlanta dominate?......yea exactly. Houston is located on a coast, and if you look through the history books the largest and most grand cities almost always have access to the ocean, look at NYC, LA, London, tokyo, sydney, mumbai, san fran. Houston is connected to the entire world by its huge port, what is Atlanta connected to the world, just its ONE airport. All major world cities have some kind of international flare, Houston as you know is the most diverse southern city, once again NOT Atlanta. The past two or three years Houston metro has grown faster than Atl and even DFW. Atlanta has just recently in the past 10 or so years experienced such growth, Houston's been on the world radar for decades, quite frankly Houston is bigger, more recognized, more of a world city. I could actually sit here and give about 100 reasons with valid evidence why Houston is better and bigger than Atl but I dont have that kind of time. Atlanta is not a second tier city IMO, its almost second tier.
First Tier: NYC, LA,.........................................Chicag o
Second Tier: DC, San Fran, Houston, DFW, Bos, Philly
Third Tier: Atl, Mia, Sea, Pheonix.

A good comparison with Houston IMO is DFW, they are pretty much equal in alot of things, but we've already had that discussion many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City