U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,496,340 times
Reputation: 1333

Advertisements

Dear lord...new yorkcapitaloftheworld. Are you kidding me? These numbers represent the numerical growth of the fastest growing MSA's between 2000-2007. Notice that Atlanta is number 1--and due to the fact that Metro Atlanta has a slightly smaller population than Metro Houston, Metro Atlanta's growth rate is faster. To top it off, Metro Atlanta has grown from 2 million in 1980 to 5.1 million now in 2007. That's an addition of 3.1 million people in 27 years! Atlanta WILL surpass Houston in population within the next 10 years.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Ga. 890,211
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas 842,449
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas 824,547
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz. 787,306
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. 771,314
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. 584,510
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, N.Y.-N.J.-Pa. 495,154
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.Va. 494,220
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, Fla. 455,869
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, Ill.-Ind.-Wis. 407,133

Also, people around the world DO know Atlanta. For God's sake, we hosted the Olympics. Also, the world knows Atlanta due to Coca-Cola, Delta, and the airport--which is the world's busiest. The classic "Gone With the Wind" has also made this city famous--albeit in a somewhat cheesy way .

Atlanta also has a lot more history than Houston, being the site of a major Civil War battle and later as the center of the Civil Rights Movement. There is also a lot of classic Southern architecture here that contrasts brilliantly with the steel and glass high-rises.

Today the city is known for it's thriving music scene and also as home to numerous celebrities, such as Elton John, Toni Braxton, Outkast, Jermaine Dupri and Janet Jackson, etc.

metroplex2003,

Your argument that Atlanta being the hub of Delta takes away from it's designation as the world's busiest airport is disingenuous. Houston is the hub for Continental and one could make the argument that Houston Intercontinental wouldn't be anything without it. Atlanta is the hub for not only Delta, but Airtran as well. Additionally, you can fly direct from Atlanta to most major cities IN THE WORLD. Atlanta's airport has earned it's designation as the world's busiest honestly.

To top it off, Atlanta has always been the transportation hub of the Southeast. Before aviation, Atlanta was the rail hub of the South, which is why the Union made damn sure that it was crippled during the Civil War.

I'm not knocking Houston at all, but let's not be dillusional and discount all of the things that make Atlanta a truly world class city.

 
Old 08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 67,995,907 times
Reputation: 10053
Well said South-to-West. Cheers!
 
Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,613,382 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can. I lived there. And the area is very diverse. Very large European population, a more balanced hispanic population than Houston (meaning a huge number of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Central Americans, South Americans), large Brazillian population. The only thing Miami lacks compared to Houston is the number of East Asians like the Vietnamese and Chinese. Other than that, Miami matches up well. They are the only city in the south that can go toe to toe with Houston.
Okay, if you say so. I still disagree because all of those Latinos (not Hispanic) are found in Houston in valid numbers (especially PR), but while Miami may be able to go toe to toe with Houston, you and I both know that Houston is still the more diverse city.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,613,382 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
That's an addition of 3.1 million people in 27 years! Atlanta WILL surpass Houston in population within the next 10 years.
Yeah, okay God.

Quote:
Also, people around the world DO know Atlanta.
Let it be known that I never said Atlanta was not well known. Atlanta is very popular. Mostly in America, though.

Quote:
Atlanta also has a lot more history than Houston.
Let's keep it correct. Yes, more important/popular things have happened in Atlanta's history, but the two cities are around the same age, so saying that Atlanta has a lot more history than Houston is a stretch. For some reason, the good Lord just hasn't had anything too major happen in/to Houston.

Quote:
Today the city is known for it's thriving music scene and also as home to numerous celebrities, such as Elton John, Toni Braxton, Outkast, Jermaine Dupri and Janet Jackson, etc.
Atlanta has a thriving black music scene (oblivious to most on this website), but that's anything that a city's success can rely on because all it takes is a few good musicians to flow out of another city, making it the hot spot, and the "ATL" phase will fade away. On the other hand, quite a few celebrities and important persons call Houston home, as well. Not to mention there's more money here. All types of luxury and high end businesses find a home in Houston (and not Atlanta).
 
Old 08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,984,418 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Okay, if you say so. I still disagree because all of those Latinos (not Hispanic) are found in Houston in valid numbers (especially PR), but while Miami may be able to go toe to toe with Houston, you and I both know that Houston is still the more diverse city.
I agree, because while Miami might have a large hispanic population, the lack of many East Asians will make it less diverse overall than Houston, which has a substantial East Asian presence. East Asians do, afterall, make up a large amount of the world's population, and should make up a decent percentage of a metropolitan for it to be considered highly diverse.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,236 posts, read 25,935,555 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Okay, if you say so. I still disagree because all of those Latinos (not Hispanic) are found in Houston in valid numbers (especially PR), but while Miami may be able to go toe to toe with Houston, you and I both know that Houston is still the more diverse city.
I'm sorry, they may be found in Houston but they don't have nearly as much as Houston. 20,000 Puerto Ricans in Houston is nothing compared to 500,000 Puetro Ricans in Miami. 6,000 Cubans is nothing compared to over 800,000 Cubans in Miami. Houston has a larger Mexican (obvious) population, and Salvadoran population, but that's about it. Miami comes out on top with the rest of the Hispanic population numbers and by a large margin. Also, I somewhat agree with you that Houston is a little more diverse than Miami partly because of the East Asian affect. Miami has little to offer in that regard. But Miami having a much larger foreign born population base and being the gateway to Latin America with a large European and South African population could go toe to toe with Miami.

Also, Miami has a much larger West Indies presence than Houston which should be obvious as well. There are over 1 million blacks in the Miami area and I bet only around 500,000 of them are Black Americans. The rest come from the islands.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,236 posts, read 25,935,555 times
Reputation: 9002
Quote:
First Tier: NYC, LA,.........................................Chicag o
 
Old 08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
 
609 posts, read 2,673,697 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I agree, because while Miami might have a large hispanic population, the lack of many East Asians will make it less diverse overall than Houston, which has a substantial East Asian presence. East Asians do, afterall, make up a large amount of the world's population, and should make up a decent percentage of a metropolitan for it to be considered highly diverse.
Hope this helps. YOu all can take a look.

http://www.brook.edu/metro/H1Table.pdf
 
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,496,340 times
Reputation: 1333
Steve-o,

Thanks!

mpope,

It's obvious that both of us have immense pride in our cities. I don't know much about Houston except that it does enjoy the advantages of having a booming Downtown and Uptown, as well as a busy port and great proximity to the beach. But your opinions about Atlanta are way off. Atlanta is extremely well known throughout the world. When I lived abroad in Europe, everyone knew exactly what I was talking about when I said that I was from Atlanta. The first things they said were "the Olympics", "Coca-Cola", and "CNN". All three of those things are well-known in the world, as well as the legacy of Dr. King. So yes, Atlanta is VERY WELL-KNOWN throughout the world. To assume otherwise is plain wrong.

I'm not denying the importance of Houston, nor am I denying that Houston has had its share of native-born celebrities. If you prefer Houston over Atlanta, then that's YOUR preference, but don't dismiss the facts.
 
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
 
609 posts, read 2,673,697 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Steve-o,

Thanks!

mpope,

It's obvious that both of us have immense pride in our cities. I don't know much about Houston except that it does enjoy the advantages of having a booming Downtown and Uptown, as well as a busy port and great proximity to the beach. But your opinions about Atlanta are way off. Atlanta is extremely well known throughout the world. When I lived abroad in Europe, everyone knew exactly what I was talking about when I said that I was from Atlanta. The first things they said were "the Olympics", "Coca-Cola", and "CNN". All three of those things are well-known in the world, as well as the legacy of Dr. King. So yes, Atlanta is VERY WELL-KNOWN throughout the world. To assume otherwise is plain wrong.

I'm not denying the importance of Houston, nor am I denying that Houston has had its share of native-born celebrities. If you prefer Houston over Atlanta, then that's YOUR preference, but don't dismiss the facts.
I agree Atlanta does have int'l name recognition especially after the olympics. Though, you would need a scientific poll rather than just sampling random friends of yours in Europe. But I do believe you would be right, but I do believe Houston and Dallas are also places people in Europe or Asia for that matter have heard of. But tops in the US are still your NYC, Chicago, LA, DC, SF, Miami. I say that knowing that I excluded my home region plus my neighboring home region of Houston. Though I do believe NASA has put Houston on the Int'l map overall from a historical standpoint.

But diversity wise, please look at this link:
http://www.brook.edu/metro/H1Table.pdf

DFW and Houston clearly are more diverse. These are Metropolitan statistics.
The actual city of Dallas and Houston for that matter have such a large percentage of Hispanics.
But overall, you will see that DFW and Houston have a more balanced ethnicity range than that of Atlanta, houston more so than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top