Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM

332 posts, read 449,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
mpope,

We are carrying on this discussion on two different threads. Atlanta is much more than a brand it does have businesses and industries of great influence throughout the world. Here's what I posted to you in the other thread:

I doubt that you have really ever been to Atlanta. Just for your information, here is a list of Fortune 500 companies based in Atlanta, most of which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Home Depot
United Parcel Service
Georgia-Pacific
BellSouth
Coca-Cola
Delta Air Lines
Southern Company (a power company that is still here unlike Enron)
Genuine Parts/NAPA Auto Parts
SunTrust Bank
Rubbermaid
Mirant
Cox Communications (media empire)

Here are some other companies and entities that are based in Atlanta that are well-known:

CNN
Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT, Turner South, Cartoon Network)
Food Network
The Weather Channel
Orkin
Blimpie
Porsche's North American Headquarters
Air Tran's main hub

We also boast TWO Nobel Peace Prize winners (MLK, Jimmy Carter), the world's busiest airport, the site of the Centennial Summer Olympic Games, the center of the Civil Rights Movement, and the Centers for Disease Control.

The Intown neighborhoods of Atlanta are distinct with a lot of character and historic Southern architecture, which contrasts brilliantly with the modern glass skyscrapers of our skyline. The music scene here is rich and there are plenty of live music venues. Although not as diverse as Houston, Atlanta is still one of the most diverse metros in the country with immigrant enclaves spread throughout the Metro Area--i.e. South Asians in Decatur, Brazilians in East Cobb, Hispanics in northern DeKalb/western Gwinnett, Asians in Chamblee, East Africans in Clarkston, etc. We do not sit on the coast, but are within 4 hours of it. Additionally, we are only 1.5 hours from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

If you prefer Houston because of your own tastes, then fine. But don't bend the truth and twist facts about Atlanta.
Houston is still known "more" worldwide

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
First of all, preach on South to West!
That poll is a joke I hope you know. It only depends on how many people from the areas in discussion are on the site. That is the only factor.

Let me ask you a personal question Mpope, if you don't mind: Have you ever even been to Atlanta and if so, how much time did you spend there?

You make a key mistake-You assumed I am from Atlanta. You are wrong! I have never even lived in Atlanta although I have visited many times (I have family there as well as Houston). I am from Raleigh and live in Charleston.
Also, to use your point against you, the only people on here arguing for Houston are Houstonites! I admit its a great city but find me somone outside of Texas that agrees that Houston is in a class above Atlanta. I have to mention also that you Houstonites tend to be the most defensive people about your city. It could just be pride but it could be seen as an inferiority complex.

Also you statistic about Gamma class cities, who comes up with this? The geography department of Loughboroough University does. Are they the end all authority on the importance of cities? Also, do they take into account Metro areas which greatly add to the importance of cities? And when were these classifications formed? Atlanta has seen much growth since 2000. I just can't figure out how they came up with thier rankings, I mean they have Shanghai and Berlin behind Dusseldorf?! They also put Minneapolis alongside Atlanta and you'd be stretched to find anyone who would agree with that (besides yourself maybe). These problems lead me to question the whole system beyond Alpha level.
I'm done with this because it has gotten silly. You asked me who felt Houston was more important than Atlanta, and I gave you that list. That list that everyone on this website refers to. But no, that wasn't good enough. You know what? If I had God himself come to you and say that Houston was more of a global city, you still wouldn't believe it. Truth of the matter is, that list was put together using a wide range of sufficient criteria. Facts. Research. Had they put Houston and Atlanta on the same tier or higher, you would be just fine with it.

Last time I looked at the poll, about 39 people had voted for Houston. There are not 39 Houstonians that frequent this forum, so it's evident that these votes came from other people from other places.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
NOt being from Atlanta or Houston, I just want to say that both are prominent US cities, but are not as prominent as NYC, LA, CHicago.
If we are talking a/b diversity, I do believe there is no debate on that issue. Houston is more diverse than Atlanta according to the US Census Bureau.
If we are talking a/b international name recognition, that's definitely gray area...mainly b/c of Atlanta's rise to recognition with the Olympics. But NASA had been a world-wide leader in space exploration for decades and the lay person knows a/b Houston through that. Neither city is a NYC, Chicago, or LA. And even cities with similar "gamma" rankings such as DC or SF have probably more int'l name recognition. Among Asians, SF definitely, and among the world, DC simply has more..let's face it...it's the nation's capital. The WHite House is always on the screen internationally.

Now they're both successful metros...with similar population growth...it will be hard to predict which one wins out in 30 years in terms of population...yes right now Atlanta is winning this decade, but that can easily change since both have relatively similar growth patterns and the differences are dealing with small margins....or DFW (my home region) will maintain its #4 rank...but I cannot say that with absolute certainty...though I"m fairly confident given the NTCOG's latest projections.

But keep in mind these rankings are skewed...b/c CSA statistics do better reflect certain regions than others...and I do believe that the Bay ARea under MSA and UA stats is unfairly represented in all fairness. Their CSA is more reflective, and their CSA shoots their population up to 7-8 million people.

Lies lies, and statistics...that's what we deal with...but that's what we use to market our own home regions. Houstonians love the city proper stats b/c they can claim "4th largest city in the US"...places like DFW and Atlanta love the MSA stats...DFW can claim #4 largest MSA.

I do think city proper is not that reflective overall, and that we should at least use MSA or UA, and in special circumstances and I mean special...CSA stats.

Otherwise places like Louisville, KT, which is larger than Atlanta proper should be talked a/b...even though it shouldnt...b/c everyone knows Atlanta is a bazillion more times important than Louisville.
Well, metroplex, all that's cool but I fail to see what any of it has to do with specific subject. Houston's place among all the other cities, that's a whole other subject.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
madman,

What's your proof that Houston is known around the world more than Atlanta? Seriously, what is your proof? I just listed all of the businesses, entities, and personalities that have made Atlanta world famous and you still dismiss them. I've never said that one trumps the other and I've backed up my opinions with solid and clear facts. So again, what proof do you have that Houston is known around the world more than Atlanta?

mpope,

Who cares about that little poll on this thread? I gave you clear facts that defend my argument. If you prefer Houston because of YOUR personal tastes then fine, but don't drop a loaded opinion and expect not to get a reaction.

Last edited by south-to-west; 08-03-2007 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

I think Bush does represent Texas and Houston and Dallas are included.[/color]
You have every right to think that, but that doesn't mean you're accurate. George Bush does not stand for the things that the cities of Houston and Dallas believe in.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 AM

332 posts, read 449,017 times
Quote:
madman,

What's your proof that Houston is known around the world more than Atlanta? Seriously, what is your proof. I just listed all of the businesses, entities, and personalities that have made Atlanta world famous and you still dismiss them. I've never said that one trumps the other and I've backed up my opinions with solid and clear facts. So again, what proof do you have that Houston is known around the world more than Atlanta?

mpope,

Who cares about that little post on this thread? I gave you clear facts that defend my argument. If you prefer Houston because of YOUR personal tastes then fine, but don't drop a loaded opinion and expect not to get a reaction.
I don't need proof, it's just a pretty much well known fact. Just like NYC,LA,CHI and Etc are worldwide known more than Houston.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:

mpope,

Who cares about that little post on this thread? I gave you clear facts that defend my argument. If you prefer Houston because of YOUR personal tastes then fine, but don't drop a loaded opinion and expect not to get a reaction.
Let's be clear. This discussion started because you didn't like hearing that Houston was more diverse than Atlanta. That's it. You got your little feelings hurt, and then you decided to challenge everything I stated after that. Not once in this entire discussion have I ever said anything based off of my personal opinion. You do not know me, so how can you tell me what my motives and preferences are? Remember that.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM

mpope,

Go back and find where I'm upseet that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta. During this whole thread I have not put down Houston in any way, but rather I'm challenging all of the inaccurate statements that you and others have said about Atlanta. I haven't even discussed your motives or preferences. I just said that if you prefer Houston based on your personal tastes, then fine. I don't know what you're personal preferences are.

By the way, show me proof that Houston is known more around the world than Atlanta. Both cities are internationally known, but prove to me that Houston is more known since you're so sure.

You have not presented any solid facts or data to back up your opinions. I'm not denying that Houston is great. But don't make misguided statements about Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
mpope,

Go back and find where I'm upseet that Houston is more diverse than Atlanta. During this whole thread I have not put down Houston in any way, but rather I'm challenging all of the inaccurate statements that you and others have said about Atlanta. I haven't even discussed your motives or preferences. I just said that if you prefer Houston based on your personal tastes, then fine. I don't know what you're personal preferences are.

By the way, show me proof that Houston is known more around the world than Atlanta. Both cities are internationally known, but prove to me that Houston is more known since you're so sure.

You have not presented any solid facts or data to back up your opinions. I'm not denying that Houston is great. But don't make misguided statements about Atlanta.
I'm not one who likes repeating herself over and over again. You guys are by yourselves on this one. So you can study all my posts until you are able to comprehend. Neither me or anyone else can get through to, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. But seriously, I can't even believe I belittled myself to these conversations.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I'm not one who likes repeating herself over and over again. You guys are by yourselves on this one. So you can study all my posts until you are able to comprehend. Neither me or anyone else can get through to, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. But seriously, I can't even believe I belittled myself to these conversations.
And I can't believe that you invent your own little reality rather than acknowledging facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City