U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2007, 11:53 AM
 
150 posts, read 636,848 times
Reputation: 88

Advertisements

Quote:
Dear lord...new yorkcapitaloftheworld. Are you kidding me? These numbers represent the numerical growth of the fastest growing MSA's between 2000-2007. Notice that Atlanta is number 1--and due to the fact that Metro Atlanta has a slightly smaller population than Metro Houston, Metro Atlanta's growth rate is faster. To top it off, Metro Atlanta has grown from 2 million in 1980 to 5.1 million now in 2007. That's an addition of 3.1 million people in 27 years! Atlanta WILL surpass Houston in population within the next 10 years.
I had a link that proved that the past 3 years Houston had more growth than any metro. I just dont feel like finding it now. I'm sorry if you feel bad, but nobody will ever think that Atl is bigger or more international than Houston. Honestly, Houston is just bigger business, bigger buildings, bigger city. you can compare the two as much as you want, but Houston will always come out on top, no question about it.

 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,254 posts, read 25,980,749 times
Reputation: 9018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Wait. Houston only 20,000 Puerto Ricans? Are you sure? Because I could have sworn that we had waaayyy more than that. It seems like it. Where did you get 20,000?
http://mumford.albany.edu/census/His...ta/3360msa.htm

Now, that's the PMSA. I'm sure the MSA is not any different and this was in 2000. Puerto Ricans, historically, have not really come west of the Mississippi River, until now. In fact, only Chicago has a substantial Puerto Rican population west of the Appalachain Mountains. As as you can see from that link, Houston's hispanic population is not very balanced like Miami's. 994,000 of the 1.2 million hispanics are Mexican. That is rapidly changing, I admit because I read somewhere that the fastest growing hispanic group in Houston is Puerto Ricans.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,254 posts, read 25,980,749 times
Reputation: 9018
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Originally Posted by mpope409
George Bush is from wherever he says he's from. Don't pay much attention to that man, but I'm sure he claims Texas. Still, he does not represent this state. Especially not Houston or Dallas.

Well, you indicated such as highlighted above. Therefore, I became curious with this representation and posted this:

If you're raised in Texas, you're a Texan. He represented this state while in the Governor's office if I'm getting your drift correctly about representation. I'm probably not, so please enlighten me. Who does represent this state?Who represents Houston? Who represents Atlanta?

I think Bush does represent Texas and Houston and Dallas are included.
I will have to agree with Mpope on this one. While he may represent the US and Texas as our president and former governor, he does not represent the views shared by the cities of Dallas and Houston. They are moderately slightly leaning towards democratic and the left.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,501,343 times
Reputation: 1333
newyorkcapitaloftheworld,

You don't have that data because it doesn't exist. The data I gave you came from the US CENSUS over the past seven years. Those numbers are official and those numbers say that Atlanta is growing faster than Houston. I have preiously listed all of the companies, entities, and personalities that are based in Atlanta to illustrate the metro area's influence around the world. I have yet to see you do the same. Therefore, your assertion that Houston is more dominant than Atlanta is completely false.

On a final note, eveidently the Olympic Committee felt that Atlanta is more prominant internationally given Atlanta's successful bid for the Olympics and Houston's failed bid.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,985,972 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
On a final note, eveidently the Olympic Committee felt that Atlanta is more prominant internationally given Atlanta's successful bid for the Olympics and Houston's failed bid.
I am not saying whether Houston or Atlanta is more prominent internationally, but I feel that this statement does not accurately hold true.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) often times will award cities that can give them the most "side money". The big scandal over Salt Lake City's bid has darkened much of what actually goes on when members of the IOC vote on an Olympic site. There has been a lot of discussion over the bidding process of Sydney, Atlanta, and Nagano as well.

CNN In-Depth Specials - The Olympic Scandal - Overview (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/olympic.probe/overview/ - broken link)

Last edited by tenken627; 08-03-2007 at 01:23 PM..
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,501,343 times
Reputation: 1333
tenken627,

Point taken.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,985,972 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
tenken627,

Point taken.
Yeah, I am not saying Atlanta did not deserve it's status as an Olympic host. It's a great city. It's just that with the Olympics, you have to take it with a grain of salt after the scandal occured.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,501,343 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Yeah, I am not saying Atlanta did not deserve it's status as an Olympic host. It's a great city. It's just that with the Olympics, you have to take it with a grain of salt after the scandal occured.
I understand. I was just making a counterpoint to newyork, who thinks that Houston dominates Atlanta in regards to international noteriety and influence.
 
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,456,770 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
I disagree completely. First off Houston is Houston, people around the world know Houston, not Atlanta. Houston dominates two VERY important industries energy, and medicine. What does Atlanta dominate?......yea exactly. Houston is located on a coast, and if you look through the history books the largest and most grand cities almost always have access to the ocean, look at NYC, LA, London, tokyo, sydney, mumbai, san fran. Houston is connected to the entire world by its huge port, what is Atlanta connected to the world, just its ONE airport. All major world cities have some kind of international flare, Houston as you know is the most diverse southern city, once again NOT Atlanta. The past two or three years Houston metro has grown faster than Atl and even DFW. Atlanta has just recently in the past 10 or so years experienced such growth, Houston's been on the world radar for decades, quite frankly Houston is bigger, more recognized, more of a world city. I could actually sit here and give about 100 reasons with valid evidence why Houston is better and bigger than Atl but I dont have that kind of time. Atlanta is not a second tier city IMO, its almost second tier.
First Tier: NYC, LA,.........................................Chicag o
Second Tier: DC, San Fran, Houston, DFW, Bos, Philly
Third Tier: Atl, Mia, Sea, Pheonix.

A good comparison with Houston IMO is DFW, they are pretty much equal in alot of things, but we've already had that discussion many times.
So your saying that SF and DC are on the same tier as Houston?...lmao, that's very laughable! If you ask anyone from the San Francisco Bay area that their area compares to Houston you could'nt get them to stop laughing.

From someone who comes from a two 1st tier cities (Los Angeles & The Bay Area) the common answer you will hear is that both Atlanta and Houston are 2nd tier cities. Which mean basically they fall in line after San Fran, NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston & DC.

Houston has cheaper housing for a reason and where are your top colleges & Universities? Here in Atlanta it's GTech, Emory, Spelman College & Morehouse College smack dab located in Atlanta.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 08-03-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: ...
 
Old 08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,026,056 times
Reputation: 1218
Wow I think this argument has gone on long enough. All it has become is a bunch of Texans arguing for Houston and people from the more Eastern South arguing that Atlanta is at least equal. The only important opinions here are people not from/living in these regions.

NYCapitaloftheworld: You have stated nothing but bland generalities. You've used the claim bigger business multiple times and we all know that big business is conducted in both metros. Just look at Fortune 500 companies.
And I do believe Atlanta has the taller building.

Mpope, you act like you are somehow belittling yourself by arguing yet I've seen you on countless debated much like this-the only difference was that it was a different city vs. Houston. Whether it be Dallas, CHicago, or Atlanta you have always made your delusional claims about HOuston. Perhaps someone is starting these threads to get a rise out of you?

And no I am not basing HOuston off of Ascocita but since its in the same metro area they are intertwined. Obviously, when I have visited Ascocita I have also spent time in Houston proper.

You never answered my question:Have you been to Atlanta and how much time have you spent there? You should realize that your position is worth nothing if you've never spent time in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top