U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-05-2007, 03:39 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,668,047 times
Reputation: 249

Advertisements

You know when I considered moving in 2008/2009 these were the two cities I started out with. The more I learned about Atlanta and Houston the more I saw the differences between then, and to some those differences might be minor but not for me. Atlanta is by far more conservative and more violent than Houston. Atlanta scored as the third meanest city towards the homeless and known for oppressive local laws/ordinances. Georgia without question is a RED STATE. Honestly I looked at Atlanta due to the low cost of living index but if there was a choice, which there is, I would by far take Houston over Atlanta.

Houston's population is rapidly increasing and the locals don't have a problem with this. Like true Texan's they are welcoming of others and wish to make it comfortable for everyone. People are scared of Texas because of our deviant president but Bush doesn't represent the whole state of Texas. In fact, Austin vehemently hates Conservative/Republicans. From what I hear Houston (the city) is democratic and very accepting of different lifestyles. Unfortunately, to creat real changes you need to impact the state legislature which is conservative/republican leaning. Also, I'm not fond of the Texas governor. However, the locals appear very friendly and I applaud Texas for such good will in character.

My prediction: If the city fills the sprawl (which is going to happen) because many people are transplanting and I can assure you that the rail and bus lines will dramatically increase/expand to accomodate the need. Political climate and resources are extremely important in any city you move to. I think Texas wants to get out of being a state recognized for no tolerance, promoting war, cutting aid to the poor and a militant police force. It's up to the pople of Texas to shift the tides (Bush doesn't own Texas) and the people need to move it in to the "deep blue"

Houston's weather is on par with Atlanta and there are many similariteis but also a lot of differences. Atlanta has excellent rail/bus system. Houston does not. Houston has far more culture and things to do in the form of ent. art and dining. It all depends on your preference.

 
Old 08-05-2007, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
654 posts, read 1,554,652 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
mpope,

We are carrying on this discussion on two different threads. Atlanta is much more than a brand it does have businesses and industries of great influence throughout the world. Here's what I posted to you in the other thread:

I doubt that you have really ever been to Atlanta. Just for your information, here is a list of Fortune 500 companies based in Atlanta, most of which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Home Depot
United Parcel Service
Georgia-Pacific
BellSouth
Coca-Cola
Delta Air Lines
Southern Company (a power company that is still here unlike Enron)
Genuine Parts/NAPA Auto Parts
SunTrust Bank
Rubbermaid
Mirant
Cox Communications (media empire)

Small thing here, but Bell South is no more. They are now part of AT&T, which is based out of San Antonio.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 05:11 PM
 
22 posts, read 101,654 times
Reputation: 19
Atlanta more conservative than Houston? I think they are about the same. Inside the Perimeter Atlanta is one of the most progressive areas of the USA. Outide....maybe not, but Im sure Houstons far flung suburbs are no liberal paradise either. And of course there are some suburbs in both metro areas that have a higher percentage of liberals like Decatur Georgia which is one of the gayest cities in the USA, (along with the city of Atlanta).
 
Old 08-05-2007, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilehelm View Post
I never thought Houston was "terribly" conservative, just that it was not very densely occupied within the city. Atlanta was the same but since the Olympics it's been starting to fill in and really starting to get packed. Lots of inner city projects are being torn down to make way for swankier digs.

The same might be true in Houston these days. ?

Atlanta doesn't have an Art Car Parade, but we are starting to get a decent Halloween Parade. :P
Yeah, it's basically true in the inner loop. Densifying rapidly with new dense town homes everywhere. Much different than it was 5 years ago and in 2012, it would be much different at that time as well.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
71 posts, read 307,966 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Small thing here, but Bell South is no more. They are now part of AT&T, which is based out of San Antonio.
Georgia Pacific has been bought up by another company as well.

But the point is some great Entrepreneurial comapnies have risen out of Atlanta.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
71 posts, read 307,966 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymikematt View Post
like Decatur Georgia which is one of the gayest cities in the USA, (along with the city of Atlanta).
Decatur? You mean Dick-Hater ... sorry, funny joke that the lesbians like to tell.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,219,593 times
Reputation: 1940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have never heard of such a rule and I'd like to know where you got it from.
I don't know about that one, but you can read about all kinds of strange laws at dumblaws.com or by googling "strange laws". For some reason, some folks like to trot out Texas as an example, as though it were the only state that had them. :/
 
Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,851 posts, read 5,427,284 times
Reputation: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
You know when I considered moving in 2008/2009 these were the two cities I started out with. The more I learned about Atlanta and Houston the more I saw the differences between then, and to some those differences might be minor but not for me. Atlanta is by far more conservative and more violent than Houston. Atlanta scored as the third meanest city towards the homeless and known for oppressive local laws/ordinances. Georgia without question is a RED STATE. Honestly I looked at Atlanta due to the low cost of living index but if there was a choice, which there is, I would by far take Houston over Atlanta.

Houston's population is rapidly increasing and the locals don't have a problem with this. Like true Texan's they are welcoming of others and wish to make it comfortable for everyone. People are scared of Texas because of our deviant president but Bush doesn't represent the whole state of Texas. In fact, Austin vehemently hates Conservative/Republicans. From what I hear Houston (the city) is democratic and very accepting of different lifestyles. Unfortunately, to creat real changes you need to impact the state legislature which is conservative/republican leaning. Also, I'm not fond of the Texas governor. However, the locals appear very friendly and I applaud Texas for such good will in character.

My prediction: If the city fills the sprawl (which is going to happen) because many people are transplanting and I can assure you that the rail and bus lines will dramatically increase/expand to accomodate the need. Political climate and resources are extremely important in any city you move to. I think Texas wants to get out of being a state recognized for no tolerance, promoting war, cutting aid to the poor and a militant police force. It's up to the pople of Texas to shift the tides (Bush doesn't own Texas) and the people need to move it in to the "deep blue"

Houston's weather is on par with Atlanta and there are many similariteis but also a lot of differences. Atlanta has excellent rail/bus system. Houston does not. Houston has far more culture and things to do in the form of ent. art and dining. It all depends on your preference.
How can you say Atlanta is conservative because it's in a republican state but not say the same for Houston? If you check out the map of red and blue counties (not states) you will see that the great majority of counties in the Atlanta area vote democrat.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 AM
 
609 posts, read 2,672,072 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
How can you say Atlanta is conservative because it's in a republican state but not say the same for Houston? If you check out the map of red and blue counties (not states) you will see that the great majority of counties in the Atlanta area vote democrat.
This is virtually true of most urban areas.

But if you consider metro Atlanta and everyone else in its urbanized area, you may see more of a balance than you would expect. Same goes to Houston. As suburbs tend to be more independent/Republican leaning.
 
Old 08-06-2007, 06:39 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
Reputation: 1333
Come on now! Both Houston and Atlanta produced the two main architects behind the Republican Revolution of 1994, Newt Gingrich from Cobb County, GA and Tom DeLay from Sugarland, TX. Both cities have a progressive core surrounded by conservative suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top