Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM

71 posts, read 333,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I agree. MSA and UA populations are much more reflective than city proper.
Examples: Louisville proper vs. Atlanta Proper. Or Omaha proper vs. St. Louis proper. or Indianapolis proper vs. San Francisco proper.

Many companies base their relocation on work force numbers, and AREA POPULATION. Hence the reason why DFW, Atlanta get more relocations than places like Louisville, KT.
Hartsfield International doesn't hurt things either.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Many companies base their relocation on work force numbers, and AREA POPULATION. Hence the reason why DFW, Atlanta get more relocations than places like Louisville, KT.
But Atlanta's MSA is smaller than Houston's.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
mpope,

We are carrying on this discussion on two different threads. Atlanta is much more than a brand it does have businesses and industries of great influence throughout the world. Here's what I posted to you in the other thread:

I doubt that you have really ever been to Atlanta. Just for your information, here is a list of Fortune 500 companies based in Atlanta, most of which I'm sure you're familiar with.

Home Depot
United Parcel Service
Georgia-Pacific
BellSouth
Coca-Cola
Delta Air Lines
Southern Company (a power company that is still here unlike Enron)
Genuine Parts/NAPA Auto Parts
SunTrust Bank
Rubbermaid
Mirant
Cox Communications (media empire)
Shall I name Houston's companies? List of companies in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* A.D. Vision
* Alert Logic
* Al's Formal Wear
* Apache Corp.
* Baker Botts
* Baker Hughes
* Blausen Medical Communications
* BMC Software
* BMP Radio
* BP North American Headquarters
* Bracewell & Giuliani
* Brooks Information Technology
* Burlington Resources
* Cabot Oil
* Centerpoint Energy
* Channel Dynamix
* Citgo
* ConocoPhillips
* Consolidated Graphics
* Continental Airlines
* Cooper Industries
* Cornell Companies
* Diamond Offshore Drilling
* Dynegy
* EGL - Eagle Global Logistics
* El Paso Corporation
* EOG Resources
* Enbridge Energy Partners
* Enron
* Enterprise Products
* ExpressJet Airlines
* FamilyTreeDNA
* Fiesta Mart
* Fit Couture
* FlightAware
* FMC Technologies
* Fulbright & Jaworski
* Gerland's
* Gelb Consulting Group
* Geokinetics
* Gexa Energy
* Group 1 Automotive
* Gulf South Pipeline
* Halliburton
* HCC Insurance Holdings
* HeadsetExperts.Com
* Integrated Electrical Services
* IpConfigure
* Kellogg, Brown and Root
* Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
* Landry's Restaurants, Inc.
* Lyondell Chemical Company
* Luby's
* Kinder Morgan Energy
* Marathon Oil
* Marble Slab Creamery
* MetroCorp Bancshares
* Men's Wearhouse
* Mexican Restaurants, Inc.
* Minute Maid
* National Oilwell Varco
* Oceaneering International Services
* Parker Drilling Company
* Pennzoil
* Pi Studios
* Pioneer Companies
* Plains All American Pipeline
* Powell Industries
* Prisma Energy International
* Pro-Mark
* Randall's Food Markets
* Rap-A-Lot Records
* Reliant Energy
* Rice Epicurean Markets
* Shell U.S. Oil Division
* SalvageSale
* Schlumberger Americas Division
* Seaboard International
* Service Corporation International
* Simmons & Company International
* Smith International
* Southwestern National Bank
* Stage Stores Inc.
* Stewart & Stevenson
* SYSCO
* TEPPCO Partners
* Transocean
* United Space Alliance
* Vinson & Elkins
* Walter P. Moore
* Waste Management, Inc.
* Weatherford International

Quote:
Here are some other companies and entities that are based in Atlanta that are well-known:

CNN
Turner Broadcasting (TBS, TNT, Turner South, Cartoon Network)
Food Network
The Weather Channel

Orkin
Blimpie
Porsche's North American Headquarters
Air Tran's main hub
Do these HQ's even matter? Also, Air-Tran isn't based in Atlanta.

Quote:
We also boast TWO Nobel Peace Prize winners (MLK, Jimmy Carter), the world's busiest airport, the site of the Centennial Summer Olympic Games, the center of the Civil Rights Movement, and the Centers for Disease Control.
That's nice, but Houston is home to two airports that equal about 63 million passengers (not too shabby). It is home to the the battle where Texas won its independence. Houston is home to the world's sixth busiest port, and America's largest port (in terms of foreign tonnage), and second largest in terms of total tonnage. We are home to the world's largest medical center as well.

Quote:
The Intown neighborhoods of Atlanta are distinct with a lot of character and historic Southern architecture, which contrasts brilliantly with the modern glass skyscrapers of our skyline. The music scene here is rich and there are plenty of live music venues. Although not as diverse as Houston, Atlanta is still one of the most diverse metros in the country with immigrant enclaves spread throughout the Metro Area--i.e. South Asians in Decatur, Brazilians in East Cobb, Hispanics in northern DeKalb/western Gwinnett, Asians in Chamblee, East Africans in Clarkston, etc. We do not sit on the coast, but are within 4 hours of it. Additionally, we are only 1.5 hours from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
That's nice, but Houston is home to all that and more (especially in diversity). Atlanta is more black and white than anything (especially in the city which is majority black). It is one of the most diverse metro area, but not in the top eight. Atlanta is majority white and black. We are less than an hour from the coast (as close as a five minute walk depending on where you live in the Houston metro). We are also within a four hour drive to the Texas Hill Country. Home to some huge hills that rival the Blue Ridge Mountains (the areas close to Atlanta). Enchanted Rock is the second largest rock formation in the U.S. (behind Stone Mountain). Houston is also built within a forest. Only the far west and south sides are on prairie. The northern suburbs (The Woodlands on up), have nice rolling hills and are set in Texas' Piney Woods forest.

Quote:
If you prefer Houston because of your own tastes, then fine. But don't bend the truth and twist facts about Atlanta.
You sure do the same about Houston

Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Shall I name Houston's companies? List of companies in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* A.D. Vision
* Alert Logic
* Al's Formal Wear
* Apache Corp.
* Baker Botts
* Baker Hughes
* BMC Software
* BMP Radio
* Bracewell & Giuliani
* Burlington Resources
* Cabot Oil
* Centerpoint Energy
* Channel Dynamix
* Citgo
* ConocoPhillips
* Consolidated Graphics
* Continental Airlines
* Cooper Industries
* Cornell Companies
* Dynegy
* El Paso Corporation
* EOG Resources
* Enron
* Enterprise Products
* ExpressJet Airlines
* FamilyTreeDNA
* Fiesta Mart
* Fit Couture
* FlightAware
* FMC Technologies
* Fulbright & Jaworski
* Gerland's
* Gelb Consulting Group
* Geokinetics
* Gexa Energy
* Group 1 Automotive
* Gulf South Pipeline
* Halliburton
* HCC Insurance Holdings
* HeadsetExperts.Com
* IpConfigure
* Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
* Luby's
* Kinder Morgan Energy
* Marathon Oil
* Marble Slab Creamery
* MetroCorp Bancshares
* Men's Wearhouse
* Minute Maid
* National Oilwell Varco
* Pennzoil
* Pi Studios
* Pioneer Companies
* Powell Industries
* Pro-Mark
* Randall's Food Markets
* Rap-A-Lot Records
* Reliant Energy
* Rice Epicurean Markets
* SalvageSale
* Seaboard International
* Smith International
* Stage Stores Inc.
* Stewart & Stevenson
* SYSCO
* TEPPCO Partners
* Transocean
* United Space Alliance
* Vinson & Elkins
* Walter P. Moore
* Waste Management, Inc.

Do these HQ's even matter? Also, Air-Tran isn't based in Atlanta.

That's nice, but Houston is home to two airports that equal about 63 million passengers (not too shabby). It is home to the the battle where Texas won its independence. Houston is home to the world's sixth busiest port, and America's largest port (in terms of foreign tonnage), and second largest in terms of total tonnage. We are home to the world's largest medical center as well.

That's nice, but Houston is home to all that and more (especially in diversity). Atlanta is more black and white than anything (especially in the city which is majority black). It is one of the most diverse metro area, but not in the top eight. Atlanta is majority white and black. We are less than an hour from the coast (as close as a five minute walk depending on where you live in the Houston metro). We are also within a four hour drive to the Texas Hill Country. Home to some huge hills that rival the Blue Ridge Mountains (the areas close to Atlanta). Enchanted Rock is the second largest rock formation in the U.S. (behind Stone Mountain). Houston is also built within a forest. Only the far west and south sides are on prairie. The northern suburbs (The Woodlands on up), have nice rolling hills and are set in Texas' Piney Woods forest.

You sure do the same about Houston

So you listed every single business HQed in Houston according to wikipedia no less? Thats nice but I think only important companies matter. I'm sure Atlanta has a similar list but why bother posting such a meaningless thing. Enron? come on now, that doesn't exactly give points to Houston.
How about we all just accept the fact that both Atlanta and Houston, Texas are important cities in America and from an international perspective, more or less equivalent.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 AM

609 posts, read 2,921,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
But Atlanta's MSA is smaller than Houston's.
Not taking sides here. I was merely pointing out that Houston proper, be it bigger than Atlanta, is not that much bigger when comparing the two MSA's.

With that in mind, overall, I still think that Houston's economy is bigger than that of Atlanta's, and Texas cities generally do have more relocations than other areas of the country.

But the three MSA that added the most people in ABSOLUTE NUMBERS the last 6 years excluding this one are Atlanta (890,000), DFW (842,000) then Houston (824,000).
With margins this close, It's hard to predict if Houston will maintain the lead over Atlanta or if Atlanta will overtake Houston over the next 2 decades.

I cannot say with any great confidence in the future which city will end up with the bigger area population...which has implications for overall economy, culture, etc. for their respective principle cities.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:18 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilehelm View Post
I still think that the powers that really run Houston LIKE that it's under the radar. They can run things like the wild west.
Well, actually, the city is trying to get more air time, hence our bid for the Olympics. It has nothing to do with the city itself, but it's just been a misfortunate that nothing big and attention grabbing has happened in Houston, yet. And I don't about the west, but Houston has the south.

Last edited by mpope409; 08-09-2007 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 AM

413 posts, read 2,560,625 times
Default Hate the South all you want, we don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrover06 View Post
The place only gets a slight edge in my book because Atlanta has proudly claimed itself as the mecca of the South, a distinction that I wouldn't be proud of at all. Those people in that city should be hiding as a international representative of "Dixie" and its most shameful history.

So on one hand, we have Dixie, on the other we have a bunch of unsophisticated loudmouths whose largest "everything" mentality is only impressive to themselves. Not much of a choice. Texas can thank Atlanta for hogging the attention as the Dixie representative of the South, leaving any city in Texas a cut above but not by much.

Thank God, I'm a Yankee!
Hmm a Northerner who can't get over the Civil War either. I don't think there's a largest "everything" mentality in Dixie - I think the people are nice, hospitable, and you can live a good quality of life here. Instead of only a shameful history there is a lot of good and culture that has come out of the South. The South has so much to offer -- beautiful mountains, beaches, gracious land and historic houses, job growth and booming cities, friendly people, warm weather, and a great quality of life. I'm glad to be a Southerner because I would have to deal with nasty, competitive, put-down people and wouldn't have any of that up North.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Not taking sides here. I was merely pointing out that Houston proper, be it bigger than Atlanta, is not that much bigger when comparing the two MSA's.

With that in mind, overall, I still think that Houston's economy is bigger than that of Atlanta's, and Texas cities generally do have more relocations than other areas of the country.

But the three MSA that added the most people in ABSOLUTE NUMBERS the last 6 years excluding this one are Atlanta (890,000), DFW (842,000) then Houston (824,000).
With margins this close, It's hard to predict if Houston will maintain the lead over Atlanta or if Atlanta will overtake Houston over the next 2 decades.

I cannot say with any great confidence in the future which city will end up with the bigger area population...which has implications for overall economy, culture, etc. for their respective principle cities.
It will take a while. There are a few reasons why Atlanta's MSA is the size it is. For one, it is one very low dense metro (out of the Houston, Dallas, and itself), and is the only large city in the state. It is kind of like Chicago with Illinois. There is Atlanta, then everyone else in Georgia. Houston can maintain its lead on Atlanta easily. With our booming economy, and Atlanta's slow housing market slowing, it should be easy. For just the past three years, Houston has grown faster than Atlanta, and I think that trend will not change. Atlanta boomed in the early part of this century, then slowed down a bit while Houston was slow in the first part of this century (growing at just 70,000 in 2001). Then it boomed up at around the same time Atlanta slowed down. Houston's metro is also the only one to have declined by almost 70,000 people (happened in the 80's).

Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,348 times
I think Houston surpasses Atlanta in many areas. Both are cities in the south but I'd like to think Houston is a "little" more liberal than Atlanta. Also, cost of living is much cheaper in Houston, less sprawl, more culture, entertainment, diversity.

Atlanta has a better public transit system though and a very high crime rate.
Atlanta is mostly black as Houston has a fair balance of asian, african, white, and hispanic. People like the multi-ethnicicity mix far more.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 PM

71 posts, read 333,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
* A.D. Vision
* Alert Logic
* Al's Formal Wear
* Apache Corp.
* Baker Botts
* Baker Hughes
* BMC Software
* BMP Radio
* Bracewell & Giuliani
* Burlington Resources
* Cabot Oil
* Centerpoint Energy
* Channel Dynamix
* Citgo
* ConocoPhillips
* Consolidated Graphics
* Continental Airlines
* Cooper Industries
* Cornell Companies
* Dynegy
* El Paso Corporation
* EOG Resources
* Enron
* Enterprise Products
* ExpressJet Airlines
* FamilyTreeDNA
* Fiesta Mart
* Fit Couture
* FlightAware
* FMC Technologies
* Fulbright & Jaworski
* Gerland's
* Gelb Consulting Group
* Geokinetics
* Gexa Energy
* Group 1 Automotive
* Gulf South Pipeline
* Halliburton
* HCC Insurance Holdings
* HeadsetExperts.Com
* IpConfigure
* Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
* Luby's
* Kinder Morgan Energy
* Marathon Oil
* Marble Slab Creamery
* MetroCorp Bancshares
* Men's Wearhouse
* Minute Maid
* National Oilwell Varco
* Pennzoil
* Pi Studios
* Pioneer Companies
* Powell Industries
* Pro-Mark
* Randall's Food Markets
* Rap-A-Lot Records
* Reliant Energy
* Rice Epicurean Markets
* SalvageSale
* Seaboard International
* Smith International
* Stage Stores Inc.
* Stewart & Stevenson
* SYSCO
* TEPPCO Partners
* Transocean
* United Space Alliance
* Vinson & Elkins
* Walter P. Moore
* Waste Management, Inc.
WE'VE GOT WAFFLE HOUSE !!! Pretty sure we win !!!

btw - Marble Slab Creamery sounds like an undertaker's ice cream shop, bleh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City