Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:11 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,892,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's better than chocolate and vanilla. There is a lot of reverse racism in Atlanta. It's ripe for a riot worse than Katrina. Boy that gave me heartburn, I need some MYLANTA after talking about Atlanta so much. At least Houston is progressive and lacks racial tension. The guitar string is very tight and about to break in Atlanta while in Houston it's barely wound.
uhh, wth is "reverse racism"? Just because whites are the victims, that makes it different than plain old ugly racism? No, racism is racism no matter who the victims. Explain what you meant by that if you don't mind?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous, you guys have been making the same points over and over again. Houston has 5.6 million Atlanta has 5.1. Thats still a big difference, and with the recent population trends Houston will keep its lead. I've been to Atlanta, it is very scenic, but doesnt feel as big as Houston. Houston has all those big buildings, the beach, i dont even feel like going on, i have nothing to prove, IMO Houston is alot more important. Before this thread i didnt even think people would compare these two cities, I thought it was a given that Houston was more important. Global City proves it for you guys! I see absolutely no point in even participating further in this pointless discussion. How about this comparison, Atlanta vs Charlotte? makes more sense to me.
No. Regardless of the winner to this assanine debate (yet it draws me back) Atlanta and Houston are much better comparisons than Atlanta and Charlotte. Come on man, you've got the unlimited resources of the internet so you could have easily found out that Metro Charlotte only has a little over 2 million. That's almost as dumb as comparing NYC and Charlotte because they are two financial centers.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,540,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Houston has a lot more going for it? Says who? You base your opinion on what?
The fact that Houston is more developed, more diverse, more cosmopolitan, etc. All the attributes of your New Yorks, your LAs, and your Chicago's. Houston isn't there yet, but they're closer than Atlanta.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,540,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
How is racial diversity a plus?
Saying something like that basically just makes anything else you could possibly have to say completely redundant to the rest of this topic.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 PM

751 posts, read 1,167,460 times
Houston is more cosmopolitan, yet it has a "blue collar mentality", much more down to Earth and diverse. Atlanta is all about the "bling-bling", the chains, the Escalades with big wheels, platinum chains, a good city if you are a P.I.M.P or a playa, not a good place if you are a Playa HATAH like myself . Atlanta is a "ghetto fabulous" metropolis, a place "too busy to hate", whatever that means. Houston is a much better place for normal people like me, (not a P.I.M.P or a playa)

Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Houston is more cosmopolitan, yet it has a "blue collar mentality", much more down to Earth and diverse. Atlanta is all about the "bling-bling", the chains, the Escalades with big wheels, platinum chains, a good city if you are a P.I.M.P or a playa, not a good place if you are a Playa HATAH like myself . Atlanta is a "ghetto fabulous" metropolis, a place "too busy to hate", whatever that means. Houston is a much better place for normal people like me, (not a P.I.M.P or a playa)
No....

I'm sorry but you fail...miserably.

Have you ever even actually been to either place?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:02 AM

751 posts, read 1,167,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
No....

I'm sorry but you fail...miserably.

Have you ever even actually been to either place?
I have lived in both. Atlanta is a very materialistic city IMO and the ghetto culture is everywhere. Houston is unpretentious and much more diverse. I voted for Houston, much better city!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I have lived in both. Atlanta is a very materialistic city IMO and the ghetto culture is everywhere. Houston is unpretentious and much more diverse. I voted for Houston, much better city!

Ok, well I can respect an opinion like that. I think both cities are pretty materialistic but I'll concede that Atlanta does have some areas (not in the ghetto) that ghetto culture is glorified. You have to realize that the city proper of Atlanta is almost 60% black and only 33% white. I'm not being racist, its just a fact that blacks make up the majority of urban ghettos, not whites. But the city proper only has 480,000 versus the metro area's 5.1 million so I think those stereotypes are not so applicable to the areas as a whole.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,378,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
uhh, wth is "reverse racism"? Just because whites are the victims, that makes it different than plain old ugly racism? No, racism is racism no matter who the victims. Explain what you meant by that if you don't mind?
I've heard that blacks outnumber whites in that city/metro. So if it is the attitude of that place, I'm expecting a French Revolution.

Quote:
That mentality puts Houston on par with Chicago or N.Y.C. Atlanta's puts it on par with DFW or L.A.

Quote:
Is that why they are one of the few cities in the South to have Bloomingdale's, especially 2 locations? It's very hard to attract them back to Texas much more to Houston. Even the rich are willing to shop at Macy's (Foley's before the merger) because it's Houston's store.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:28 PM

74 posts, read 317,631 times
The GaWC seems to think Houston has the edge over but Atlanta... but
Im sure people from Atlanta will fart on their inteligence and correctness.

Gamma world cities / minor world cities

6 points: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington, D.C.
5 points: Bangkok, Beijing, Montreal, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw
4 points: Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai

Seriosly people this argument is reverting back to agression through civic pride (like most of the boards here) instead of leaving your bias behind and truly evaluating the cities for what they offer (not completely un-existant on this board, but we could still use more of it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City