U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,754,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post

They're the same type of town (Sunbelt) with the same population (5 million+)
Actually, I believe the population of Houston is >2.5 million while Atlanta sits at a mere <500,000 people.

Quote:
Also, I don't give much credence to the survey (which every Houstonian lives by) because it has Houston above cities like Rome, Istanbul, and Beijing.
See, that's your problem. You're going by name popularity. Rome and Beijing are very popular cities because of their name, but if you did your research you would find that their worldwide presence isn't as great anymore. Milan is the leading city in Italy (unlike Rome), but there are still many people who have never even heard of it before.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
It is crazy that this discussion has gone on this long. I've read a few posts, but never felt compelled to post my own. I think part of the reason that this discussion has gone on as long as it has is that both Atlanta and Houston have something of a metro-wide inferiority complex.
How does this even make sense?

Quote:
Both cities want to be first tier cities like NYC, Chicago, SF, etc.,
Who said that? And San Fransisco is not a first tier city, either.

Quote:
but they are not nor will they ever be.
Says who? You?? Please. Who made you God?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
One year soon that map will have made some drastic changes. Just wait and see.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,607,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Actually, I believe the population of Houston is >2.5 million while Atlanta sits at a mere <500,000 people.

See, that's your problem. You're going by name popularity. Rome and Beijing are very popular cities because of their name, but if you did your research you would find that their worldwide presence isn't as great anymore. Milan is the leading city in Italy (unlike Rome), but there are still many people who have never even heard of it before.
You may convince me about Rome, but Beijing... No way.

I've been to both Rome and Milan; and while Milan has more business and industry, Rome is a much more pleasant and exciting place to visit.

As far as the populations of Houston and Atlanta, I was comparing the population of the metros and not the cities. Houston's metro is slightly larger than Atlanta's.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
That's fine. Have it your way.

Quote:
I've been to both Rome and Milan; and while Milan has more business and industry, Rome is a much more pleasant and exciting place to visit.
What in God's name does that have to do with economy and power?

Quote:
As far as the populations of Houston and Atlanta, I was comparing the population of the metros and not the cities. Houston's metro is slightly larger than Atlanta's.
Well I'm not concerned with metro populations. They're very trivial. Especially in Houston's case.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:18 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,428,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Unarguably is correct, lol. But Atlanta residents don't want to hear it. Which is understandable, as the television would lead people to believe that Atlanta is the key city in the South.
Atlanta is probably more important to us Atlanta residents than Houston is.

I've never been to Houston (or Texas, either), but I want to change that soon...

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,434,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's better than chocolate and vanilla. There is a lot of reverse racism in Atlanta. It's ripe for a riot worse than Katrina. Boy that gave me heartburn, I need some MYLANTA after talking about Atlanta so much. At least Houston is progressive and lacks racial tension. The guitar string is very tight and about to break in Atlanta while in Houston it's barely wound.
You keep telling yourself that it lacks "racial tension". Diverse areas by nature" are tense. Only deluded individuals think otherwise.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I personially find both racial and cultural diversity to be interesting and somewhat stimulating because it gives me a chance to meet people who have a different background and (sometimes) outlook on life than myself.

I like learning new things.

I don't always agree with those I've met, but I can usually appreciate where they're coming from, at least to a certain extent.
Read a book, travel, surf the web, watch a movie, listen to "diverse" music, you'll get the same thing. You don't have to tear down areas, culturally, socially, and racially to become connected with a different background.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,590,167 times
Quote:

Yeah, Houston has a 500,000 lead on Atlanta's metro, and has been growing faster than it over the past two years.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
First off, not EVERY Hispanic is illegal. Sure there are tons of illegals in Chicago, but cmon, just because theyre Hispanic doesnt mean theyre illegal.
The vast majority are illegal. Geez, don't you remember the illegal alien marches throughout the streets of Chicago, just a little over a year ago.

Studies and surveys indicate that upwards of 80-90% of the Mexicans in Chicago and in most places in the US (particularly those away from the Mexican border) are illegal. Don't fool yourself. Celebrate common-sense and logic, not the flawed utopian dream of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or