U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Er, metro area is way more relevant than city proper. By your logic, then Columbus, OH would be more of a prominent city than San Francisco and Boston.
I never said that a bigger city proper equaled more prominence. But for a city like Houston who has no problem staying centralized, we shouldn't have to hear about metro populations just because cities like Dallas and Atlanta decided to spread their name over half their state. If y'all were as centralized as us, you too would care less about the metro numbers, because you would have decent city proper numbers to brag about. You don't hear New Yorkers claiming Jersey. To them, New York City is Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten, the Bronx, and that's it. Forget the surrounding area.

So, can Decatur residents vote for the Atlanta mayor?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I never said that a bigger city proper equaled more prominence. But for a city like Houston who has no problem staying centralized, we shouldn't have to hear about metro populations just because cities like Dallas and Atlanta decided to spread their name over half their state. If y'all were as centralized as us, you too would care less about the metro numbers, because you would have decent city proper numbers to brag about. You don't hear New Yorkers claiming Jersey. To them, New York City is Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten, the Bronx, and that's it. Forget the surrounding area.

So, can Decatur residents vote for the Atlanta mayor?
No, but they do pay the 1% sales tax to fund the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority or MARTA.

I don't know what you're trying to say, but if you go to Manhattan during a weekday, you can bet that a significant portion of the employees you see there during the day commute in from Long Island, Jersey, or Connecticut. A lot of times, the NYC area is referred to as the Tri-State Area. Also, the two New York NFL teams play in suburban Jersey.

When people outside of Texas here about the Woodlands or Sugarland, they think Houston. So yes, metro population is more relavant than the population of the city proper.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Your ideas, collectively, are bringing down America and the west.
Amusing. Scraper, dude, are you confusing me with another poster? Read the thread again.

I certainly don't "celebrate diversity", I've not espoused that silly notion anywhere in this thread, and I think folks who present the concept of diversity as being the be-all end-all of culture are stupid and/or deluded, or at the very least looking at things in an overly simplistic manner and ignoring centuries of history.

Certainly the idea that "diversity is good" might apply to genetics, where homogeneous populations can run into problems, and perhaps to technology (the dominance of Windows demontrates that a widely popular desktop platform which is poorly designed from a security perspective can become a breeding ground for malware), but I'm not sure it applies equally to social situations, and while I like diversity as a personal thing, I certainly don't hold it to be the paragon of social stability.

Look at the world... Obviously, it isn't.

Most people like being with people who are like themselves. Period. That's why you see self-segregation in Atlanta, in Europe, and in junior-high cafeterias.

However, I personally happen to *like* interacting with folks different than myself, and while I realize that isn't normal, I don't give a ****. I guess that appears to include you, though, given the types of baseless ad Hominem attacks I'm seeing you engage in here. WTF?

I can tell you were raised south of the VMH...

Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
No, but they do pay the 1% sales tax to fund the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority or MARTA.
Right. Metropolitan Atlanta. As in, "exceeding outside the city limits." But they can't vote for the Atlanta mayor, and they don't have an Atlanta address. So they're not Atlanta.

Quote:
I don't know what you're trying to say, but if you go to Manhattan during a weekday, you can bet that a significant portion of the employees you see there during the day commute in from Long Island, Jersey, or Connecticut. A lot of times, the NYC area is referred to as the Tri-State Area. Also, the two New York NFL teams play in suburban Jersey.
That means nothing. Most New Yorkers still do not want to claim anything outside of the city limits. Especially Newark. And there's a reason that their metro is called the Tri-State area, not city. Metro areas are just another way for cities to make themselves bigger than they really are.

Quote:
When people outside of Texas here about the Woodlands or Sugarland, they think Houston. So yes, metro population is more relavant than the population of the city proper.
Only half right. Sugarland has formed an identity of its own that's practically anti-Houston. In fact, a lot of people didn't even know that it was a Houston suburb. And The Woodlands is nothing more than a pretty, office park suburb. There's no real reputation there.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Scraper is one reason why I don't like Atlanta. I think a race riot will erupt in Atlanta soon. In the city of Dr. Martin Luther King...
FWIW, Scraper is not the type of person I normally encounter here, at least in the NW Atlanta metro (can't speak for Atlanta proper because I rarely enter the city limits -- I live just OTP). I'm from the W/SW suburbs of Minneapolis, an area of the country that many consider reasonably sane, and he appears to be one of the most irrational elements that I've seen here (online or off) in three years. In this thread, anyway. In other forums I'm in he seems a bit less arbitrary.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-31-2007 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN77008 View Post
What I am most surprised at is the fact that people are actually responding to this "scraper enthusiast" clown. He doesn't like anyone unless they are a mirror image of himself. I suspect he doesn't even like himself.
On USENET I'd killfile him after a while, probably, but I admit I'm curious what his issue is. Besides "diversity".

Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Seriously, why is the US so race sensetive?
I never gave a passing thought to racial issues (except as intellectual exercises) until I moved to Atlanta from the Twin Cities.

I think such problems are regional, not uniformly spread through the US.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Right. Metropolitan Atlanta. As in, "exceeding outside the city limits." But they can't vote for the Atlanta mayor, and they don't have an Atlanta address. So they're not Atlanta.

That means nothing. Most New Yorkers still do not want to claim anything outside of the city limits. Especially Newark. And there's a reason that their metro is called the Tri-State area, not city. Metro areas are just another way for cities to make themselves bigger than they really are.

Only half right. Sugarland has formed an identity of its own that's practically anti-Houston. In fact, a lot of people didn't even know that it was a Houston suburb. And The Woodlands is nothing more than a pretty, office park suburb. There's no real reputation there.
We've had this conversation before and I believe that most people agree with me. Metro areas do matter and are way more relavant than the city limits. You measure the economy and vitality of a city by looking at its metropolitan population, which is why you include all of the 5.6 million people of the Houston area when speaking about Houston because a resident of Katy who works at the Galleria is part of the same local economy as a resident of Montrose who works Downtown.

Decatur is in a different political boundary than the city of Atlanta, but it is the part of the same local economy. I live inside the city limits of Atlanta, but I go to Decatur often to shop, eat, and enjoy a beer of two. The city of Decatur is less than a mile from where I live thus I'm not going "out of town" when I go to Decatur.

I think that it's you that only cares about the city of Houston's population and not the metro area's because it makes Houston become the 4th largest US city rather than the 8th largest metro area.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
FWIW, Scraper is not the type of person I normally encounter here, at least in the NW Atlanta metro (can't speak for Atlanta proper because I rarely enter the city limits -- I live just OTP). I'm from the W/SW suburbs of Minneapolis, an area of the country that many consider reasonably sane, and he appears to be one of the most irrational elements that I've seen here (online or off) in three years.
It's okay. I'm sure Scraper will end up with a black guy marrying into his family in the future. As Chris Rock says, whomever you hate will end up being in your family.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I guess you don't notice the white flight to the far north areas around Conroe and the Woodlands, or out to Katy.
Is that why Cinco Ranchers don't go to West Oaks Mall and go to Memorial City or even First Colony instead? (I saw most Cinco Ranchers at Katy Mills though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or