U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,440,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Why would I think you were referring to Veterans Memorial Highway? This is on a thread comparing Houston and Atlanta.

My parents live in the area. I now live in Woodstock.
My mistake. I guess I assumed you possessed short-term memory, but I see I was wrong. Whatever. Have fun continuing your baseless flamefest here.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM

43 posts, read 209,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
We've had this conversation before and I believe that most people agree with me. Metro areas do matter and are way more relavant than the city limits. You measure the economy and vitality of a city by looking at its metropolitan population, which is why you include all of the 5.6 million people of the Houston area when speaking about Houston because a resident of Katy who works at the Galleria is part of the same local economy as a resident of Montrose who works Downtown.

Decatur is in a different political boundary than the city of Atlanta, but it is the part of the same local economy. I live inside the city limits of Atlanta, but I go to Decatur often to shop, eat, and enjoy a beer of two. The city of Decatur is less than a mile from where I live thus I'm not going "out of town" when I go to Decatur.

I think that it's you that only cares about the city of Houston's population and not the metro area's because it makes Houston become the 4th largest US city rather than the 8th largest metro area.

Houston is 6th largest metro. Thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 07:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,593,420 times
It is going to be the fifth largest by next year.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,609,789 times
[quote=Scraper Enthusiast;1879891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post

Perhaps you need to realize that immigration policy, up until 1965, ensured the the nation remain majority white into the future. This was by design from the nation's founding. It doesn't matter where the immigrants came from, as long as they were European, as this was the "traditional America" that I am talking about.

Secondly, most people are prejudiced, but they have been told that it is not okay to have these normal feelings. Why do you think that people seek out areas where most of the people are of their race. It is because they feel comfortable around those who look like them. This is normal human nature, and it is healthy. Do you honestly believe that supporting policies which go in direct opposition to normal human behavior, as well as good historical policy, is in the best interests of the United States? If you do, then you're obviously beyond being reached, unless personal experience finally reveals to you the truth some time in the future.

Your points make you a deluded individual, in my opinion. Don't refer to me as an idiot, if you aren't willing to have an opinion turned back on you.
Deluded? I have a multiracial family and we all get along just fine. I refer to you as an idiot, because...well, you are an idiot. You don't like a multicultural America? Too bad. You better get used to it. Nobody is going anywhere.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,435,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Many of your comments to me specifically appear to involve topics which are either tenuously related at best to what I was talking about, or are completely unrelated to the comments that I was making and the context in which I was making them.

One has to wonder at your sanity (or at the very least your agenda) when you appear to equate my simple comment about having curiosity about others to being a gung-ho full-fledged diversity worshiper.

Most of your positions are fine (even if I don't agree), but your attempt to put words in my mouth in this thread frankly pisses me off.

Does that help clarify?
Copy and paste where my comments didn't relate.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
That's not what diverse means.

No sir, you're not allowed to make up your own definition. Be an adult and use the dictionary.
That's what it is meant by in today's context, though it really means a mixture.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
That's not what diverse means.

No sir, you're not allowed to make up your own definition. Be an adult and use the dictionary.
There is a dictionary definition, but "cosmopolitan" is subjective to a person's opinion. Therefore, what is your opinion of what makes a place "cosmopolitan".

Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm glad you see the obvious. Because of this, I don't presume to consider myself an expert on race relations except in the contexts I've actually experienced. That is why I've not voiced any strong opinions on this forum about race relations. I'm still formulating them.

Is that fact somehow a problem for you?

Keep in mind, though, that the above also means that I have 40 years of direct experience living in an area of the US which doesn't seem to follow the pattern of racial tension that I seem to have found down here in Atlanta.

That is why I tend to question it being a US-wide issue. It's an issue in some places (Atlanta), but not as much of an issue in others (the Twin Cities).

Does that make sense to you? Or is it a problem, too?

The Twin-Cities doesn't have the problems because there aren't many minorities. Most whites never have to entertain the thought. This is the case in relatively homogeneous areas. As the Twin-Cities become more diverse, people will beging to entertain the thoughts and the same mindset will prevail. People in California used to be all "tolerant", but now a large percentage of Californians talk about it, think about it, and are fleeing the changing demographics.

Quote:
Oh, bull****.

My opinions about the Twin Cities are based on 40 years of growing up and living in that area.

My opinions about Atlanta are newly formed and subject to change, since I'm only passingly familiar with the areas and people that I've seen, and that only for a few years at this point.

I've not been correcting your positions or arguing with you otherwise, which makes me somewhat curious as to why you seem so intent on lecturing me and converting me to a position I might already largely agree with.

As luck would have it, I really haven't formulated an opinion yet about race relations in Atlanta. I haven't been here long enough. So why exactly are you trying to correct my viewpoint? Or are you trying to demonstrate to me just how ****ing stupid the native white folks in Atlanta really are?
If you could read between the lines you would realize that I'm only providing my viewpoint about race. It is a viewpoint based upon over thirty years of experience, my knowledge as a history minor, studies on race and the correlating educational levels, crime, testosterone levels, as well as anthropology. I'm not simply spouting at the mouth. If I accidentally took out of context something you said, then I apologize. However, if you do support diverse areas, then I was simply expressing my point of view, since most people's actions do not reveal that they like diversity (they flee when it becomes too much: all across the country and world). What they say means little, as it has become too taboo for many to state their true beliefs on race, so they say the politically correct thing to say. Perhaps I believed that it was implied that was what you were doing.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,756,955 times
Quote:
That's what it is meant by in today's context, though it really means a mixture.
Huh???

Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,756,955 times
Quote:
There is a dictionary definition, but "cosmopolitan" is subjective to a person's opinion. Therefore, what is your opinion of what makes a place "cosmopolitan".
I told you already: what the dictionary says cosmopolitan is. I don't go around making up my own definitions like some people. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or