Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I never denied that people in Atlanta never got along, but a city with such a large Black population unfortunately has underlying racial tensions to it. I'm not making this up, as I'm from a city with a large Black population, and have been to other cities that are the same. You can just feel it -- I know when it's there.

I've also checked out what is discussed on the ATL forum. Now obviously a forum is not completely a gauge of what an area is like, but considering that I've been to Atlanta a couple of times, I think it gives it an accurate impression of the goings-on of the area. You go through and read a good number of the threads and the topics, and though nobody comes out and outright says it, there is a tremendous undercurrent of racial tension in the city of Atlanta. Which is why I picked Houston. Not saying that there isn't any issues there, but that people generally get along better, it's much more diverse(again, not saying ATL isn't but Houston is more), and I won't have that stigma of being black constantly looming over my head as considerably as it would in Atlanta.
I hear what you are saying.You have your opinion.I respect it,even though I dO think its a little off base.Most southern cities have large black populations.However Atlanta city proper has and is changing at a faster rate demographically than any city.The black population was as high as 73%,currently is around 58%.It has the fastest growing Korean Population in the U.S.

I don't know where you were when you felt the way you did,but I'm black and I do not feel that way at all.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
OK, smart guy, then let's just say it's like someone talking about Houston from the persepective of growing up in Baytown.

BTW, great point on the guy that posted about his affinity for "English-speaking" cities. Unbeknownst to him and his obtuse xenophobic views, you will also find a lot of neighborhoods in Atlanta with a rapidly growing Spanish-speaking population. ¡Qué horror!
Most of the surrounding Houston area is pretty diverse, even Baytown. If your going by statistics, than it's much more broader than that. Say you were interested in Katy, and according to the census, Katy isn't very diverse (population of 12k). However, the Katy Area has well over 200k people.

The ports bring in lots of different races here to Houston, and they are scattered all over the area.

I'll take the "smart guy" comment as a compliment,thx!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 AM

815 posts, read 2,135,997 times
Quote:
I never denied that people in Atlanta never got along, but a city with such a large Black population unfortunately has underlying racial tensions to it. I'm not making this up, as I'm from a city with a large Black population, and have been to other cities that are the same. You can just feel it -- I know when it's there.

I've also checked out what is discussed on the ATL forum. Now obviously a forum is not completely a gauge of what an area is like, but considering that I've been to Atlanta a couple of times, I think it gives it an accurate impression of the goings-on of the area. You go through and read a good number of the threads and the topics, and though nobody comes out and outright says it, there is a tremendous undercurrent of racial tension in the city of Atlanta. Which is why I picked Houston. Not saying that there isn't any issues there, but that people generally get along better, it's much more diverse(again, not saying ATL isn't but Houston is more), and I won't have that stigma of being black constantly looming over my head as considerably as it would in Atlanta.
Naw homie, I doubt you will have that stigma hanging over your head. The undercurrent of racial tesnion that you see on the Atlanta page does exist in real life, however its a bit amplified on here. There are way to many black people here for anyone to have that stigma hanging over them, you would just be another face in the crowd. Trust me, they may say that on here and they probably think it in their heads, but there are to many blacks here with money and just to many blacks here period for it to be that way in the real world. When I went to Houston I was suprised by the diversity, but Atlanta isn't that far behind in that regard and more and more folks are moving here every day. But to be honest Houston never really impressed me, I cant put my finger on it, but as a young black male cities like DC, ATL and NYC just seem to have more to offer me in terms of what I like to do.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Houston

Old 08-01-2009, 11:55 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
I won't have that stigma of being black constantly looming over my head as considerably as it would in Atlanta.
There is no "stigma" for being Black in Atlanta. Where in the world do you get that from?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
This is so hard. Both are dream cities for me, but I'll give the slight edge to Atlanta.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
From my visits Houston seems much more diverse than Atlanta, plus they have great Mexican food.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

113 posts, read 249,765 times
I vote for houston...not just because im from there...but because I just feel more comfortable here...plus...the food is way better down here...

Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Houston by far, Atlanta is a big ghetto.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Houston by far, Atlanta is a big ghetto.

Atlanta is not a big ghetto, I see you're from the Philly area...How do you feel about the poll incident in which Black and Hispanic kids were turned away.....

Also, what do you call North Philly if you think Atlanta is a big ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City