Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I guess my vote for Atlanta wasnt exactly fair since I haven't been to Houston yet. When I did live in Atlanta I would always hear comparisons of it to Houston moreso than to Dallas. I would say they are probably pretty close. In pics the cities look to be similar.
I've heard more people make comparisons between Atlanta and Dallas. It depends how similar Dallas and Atlanta are to you, because Houston and Dallas are quite different from each other.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've heard more people make comparisons between Atlanta and Dallas. It depends how similar Dallas and Atlanta are to you, because Houston and Dallas are quite different from each other.
Personally, I see them as being 3 completely different worlds me, but if I were to compare them, I would compare Atlanta to Houston first.
::shrug::

Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I like this approach, I'm going to borrow this .

-Skyline -> Houston
-Architecture -> Houston (It was tough, I like Atlanta's taller buildings, but Houston's residential styles takes the cake.)
-Food -> Houston
-Diversity -> Houston (It's more obvious in Houston, though they're close in that dept.)
-Natural beauty -> Houston (I'd take bayous, palms, cypress, & live oaks over pines and hills anyday)
well in all fairness, pines are the most dominant tree in both atlanta and houston, so for georgia it would be more like "tall hardwoods and hills"

Quote:
-Culture -> Houston (I'm referring to the local culture, not museums, etc.)
-Shopping -> Atlanta
-Public Transprtation -> Atlanta (It's MARTA!)
-Urbanity -> Houston (Definitely inner loop. The greenery and winding roads take away from Atlanta)
-Infastructure -> Houston
-Landscaping -> Southside of Houston (Northside Houston is drab to me, and the woodlands remind me of coastal Alabama.)
the woodlands are drab? huh?

Quote:
-Nightlife -> Atlanta
-Radio stations -> Atlanta

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
i think atlanta is similar to both, in different ways

houston and atlanta share that lush, piney, colorful, deep southern vibe. and dallas shares with atlanta that sterile, sleek, white-collar, manicured vibe

it's almost like if you put houston and dallas together, you would get something very similar to atlanta

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
well in all fairness, pines are the most dominant tree in both atlanta and houston, so for georgia it would be more like "tall hardwoods and hills"
Fair enough.

Quote:
the woodlands are drab? huh?
The woodlands are a little too, how can I say this, wooded for me. Everything is just hidden behind trees up there. Also, once you get north of I-10 that's when you begin to notice that transition to a more inland environment. That is when the pine trees start to become dominant. The northside is drab compared to the southside and even southwest to an extent in my opinion. As you head inland the palms thin out, the pines start to change from the skinny coastal pines into the full pines. The trees become that darker hue of green and they get thicker as you travel towards Spring, The Woodlands, or Humble.

Compare the scenery along 45-Gulf or 59-Southwest to 45-North or 59-Eastex.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

The woodlands are a little too, how can I say this, wooded for me. Everything is just hidden behind trees up there. Also, once you get north of I-10 that's when you begin to notice that transition to a more inland environment. That is when the pine trees start to become dominant. The northside is drab compared to the southside and even southwest to an extent in my opinion. As you head inland the palms thin out, the pines start to change from the skinny coastal pines into the full pines. The trees become that darker hue of green and they get thicker as you travel towards Spring, The Woodlands, or Humble.

Compare the scenery along 45-Gulf or 59-Southwest to 45-North or 59-Eastex.
i know, i love that. but i guess some people prefer the coastal look

Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i know, i love that. but i guess some people prefer the coastal look
That would be me. I love the swamps and flatness and I love the architecture from the oil boom. I even find the oil refineries sexy, I love the view coming into Houston on I-10 from the east or the ride down 225.

The whole green, forested look is cool and I like when I need a taste of something different, but I'm just a bayou/coastal kid at heart.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
That would be me. I love the swamps and flatness and I love the architecture from the oil boom. I even find the oil refineries sexy, I love the view coming into Houston on I-10 from the east or the ride down 225.

The whole green, forested look is cool and I like when I need a taste of something different, but I'm just a bayou/coastal kid at heart.
Please explain this? Sexy is the last thing that comes to mind when I'm driving through Stinkadena.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Please explain this? Sexy is the last thing that comes to mind when I'm driving through Stinkadena.
lol, nah it's pasa-gas-a

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtwgt View Post
Which city is more urban/cosmopolitan, with more culture, diversity, entertainment? Which has a higher international status? Which city do you think will prosper the most in the future? Which city has more locals that are from there or have lived there a long time(20 plus years)? Which city is better in most of that criteria?

Just wanted to throw a different debate other than Houston vs. Dallas.
Houston: more entertainment, international status, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City