U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,322,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Do you realize Atlanta is top 10 in student enrollment, financial assets, U.S. Convention Cities, media assets, things that Houston are clearly not? Iím not going to say Houston economy isnít diverse but compare to Atlanta itís not. Atlanta doesnít have to be the capital in a specific industry, doesnít matter but however Atlanta is a top city in so many in industries itís not even funny. The only things Houston probably has that Atlanta is not in the picture is the energy sector and a sea port. For instance biomedical Houston is number 1, home to TMC but however Atlanta is home to CDC and Fort Mcpherson is being redevelop into a biomedical research park so Atlanta is still a top city. But flip that and talk about the Food Service industry "another example" where is Houston? This might be the reason why despite Houston having a higher GPD, GaWC ranked Atlanta and Dallas higher. So instead of asking what industry Atlanta and Dallas dominate? You should being asking how many industries Atlanta and Dallas are top cities and Houston is not. And the funny thing is Atlanta is the travel hub for most of the deep south and as we speak a new international terminal is being built. I say Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are equal in importance.

But Houston is more important because it dominate the energy industry.
The Energy industry is important. That's why I say that Houston is good at what it does and Atlanta is good at what it does, so I just don't want a *****ing contest trying to "outdo" each other. People can come in here and talk about how they feel one city is more important than the other, but like I said earlier, Houston may be important with the things that they do, but Atlanta and Dallas are ranked pretty high up there for a reason.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
you guys can argue this until you're dog tired, but that doesn't change the fact that neither atlanta or dallas do anything another city doesn't do more of. second string cities. deal with it. there's no possible way all three cities can be EQUALLY vital, somebody has to have the edge, and i say it's houston

once again:
-space exploration capital of the nation
-busiest foreign tonnage port in the nation (10th in the world)
-largest medical district in the world
-energy capital of the world (arguably with dubai)

and you're SERIOUSLY trying to argue that atlanta and dallas are as crucial as all that??

geez, i'm not even from houston, but now i see where houstonians are coming from when they say nobody ever wants to give them props for anything

Old 02-22-2010, 11:00 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,807,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you guys can argue this until you're dog tired, but that doesn't change the fact that neither atlanta or dallas do anything another city doesn't do more of. second string cities. deal with it. there's no possible way all three cities can be EQUALLY vital, somebody has to have the edge, and i say it's houston

once again:

and you're SERIOUSLY trying to argue that atlanta and dallas are as crucial as all that??

geez, i'm not even from houston, but now i see where houstonians are coming from when they say nobody ever wants to give them props for anything
I think the point that was made is that all three cities are good at what they do. There are areas where Houston rises about the others, and areas where Atlanta rises above the others. Not one of them is a clear-cut winner.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think the point that was made is that all three cities are good at what they do. There are areas where Houston rises about the others, and areas where Atlanta rises above the others. Not one of them is a clear-cut winner.
and i agree, but they're acting like i'm saying houston is somehow better just because it has more vital industry

i say houston is more important, and somehow that's interpreted as "atlanta ain't sh -t"

Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,493,382 times
Quote:

once again:

Not really. They are three metros of arguably similar size with completely different functions. You can even point to amenities, institutions, and commercial entities in all three that are internationally significant--but completely distinct.

I know I've argued this exhaustively in the past, but here it goes:

Houston is the international hub for the energy industry and emerged as so upon the discovery of the vast East Texas oilfields in the early 20th Century. It's also the principal seaport on the Gulf Coast--providing a maritime access point for regions in the central US.

Dallas is the "Midway" of the southern half of the US and is also the second largest inland freight hub in the US--immediately behind Chicago. Its location at the midway point between the east and west coasts have made it an important hub in rail, road, and air transport. It also anchors the southwestern US region as many commercial entities--as well as the Federal government--uses it as a distribution point for goods and services.

Atlanta is the third largest inland freight and transport hub in the US--behind Chicago and Dallas--as it provides easy access to both the Midwest and Northeast given its location at the southern end of the Appalachians. Its location made it an ideal freight hub for the southeast given that it was--and still is--difficult to traverse the mountainous terrain to the north. The fact that it's within a two-hour flight time of two-thirds of the US population--as well as its proximate location to the coast--has led to it having the busiest airport in the world. Also its location in the heart of the South has made it a key distribution point for goods and services shipped throughout the region.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 8,874,255 times
Quote:
and i agree, but they're acting like i'm saying houston is somehow better just because it has more vital industry

i say houston is more important, and somehow that's interpreted as "atlanta ain't sh -t"
That's how they interpret anything around here. Other than that, I agree with Deacon and grindin.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,322,382 times
Quote:

once again:

I gave Houston their "props," so chill out and stop being so indignant and on the defensive because everyone doesn't feel the way you do. You can argue this until you're dog tired, but there are equally compelling arguments from other viewpoints.

And again, we here on this board know how important Houston is, as we're reminded damn near everyday.

And referring to Dallas or Atlanta as "second string" in this sense is somewhat of a passive-aggressive swipe at denigrating both cities, so of course people are going to interpret it as such. Then is Houston "first-tier"? It's not quite up there with the likes of NYC/LA/Chicago, but Houston holds it's own in it's own right.

I dont think that was intentional on your part, but that's why I said that posters have to "make it plain" on this site, so things won't get misinterpreted or misconstrued on here.

That's why I said I don't think that there is a clear-cut winner between the cities, because as South-To-West so eloquently stated in his post, each city shines in it's own right.

It seems like it's really making you angry that everyone in here isn't necessarily agreeing with you. Deal with it.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,874,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I dont think that was intentional on your part, but that's why I said that posters have to "make it plain" on this site, so things won't get misinterpreted or misconstrued on here.
With all due respect grindin, you know that doesn't work. If you make it plain, they make it complicated. You just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

Quote:
That's why I said I don't think that there is a clear-cut winner between the cities, because as South-To-West so eloquently stated in his post, each city shines in it's own right.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,051,208 times
Quote:
well judging from the criteria the gawc uses, i would say that they seem to be ranking dominance/popularity, not importance. those are two different things

with that said, i would argue that houston is more important than atlanta and dallas

but importance isn't synonymous with popularity or power, and it doesn't mean houston's superior, so atlantans please don't get bent out of shape

I learned not to get bent out of shape over these forums anymore it gets ugly at times and I dont have time. you made your statement man and ill let that be.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM

631 posts, read 1,051,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIATL View Post
Actually I myself only found out that Atlanta owned Coca Cola just a few years ago, but I'm more than likely younger than most people on this thread so I don't find that surprising, like you said everyone has the right to their own opinion and my opinion is that none of the 4 major cities in the south are more important than each other, they are all good at separate things so it's kind of hard to compare them. I'm sure most people that know about Houston know that it's NASA's star city but to the rest of the world especially the EU Russia and Japan I think NASA importance and presence is greatly smaller than what it is in the U.S and Canada

The reason Houston forumers say Houston is more important is because of Texas med Energy and Oil which play a real big part in this country. Thats why they say that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or