U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,497,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Ummm...not when you can clearly point out the different functions that each city serves. Seriously man, we're comparing three metros of similar size! Saying which city is more "important" is absolutely freaking childish. What the hell does that mean anyway? If either city was taken out by a nuclear bomb--heaven forbid--the impact would be felt in the global economy. What's gonna be the next topic of discussion--"my dad makes more money than your dad"?
He was going by GDP to determine which metro was more important, and if you do, Houston is. Each city has something. Dallas is more popular than Houston. Miami is the top tourist destination of the four. Atlanta is the cultural center of the South. Houston is the most important...economically.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:17 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,897,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Ummm...not when you can clearly point out the different functions that each city serves. Seriously man, we're comparing three metros of similar size! Saying which city is more "important" is absolutely freaking childish. What the hell does that mean anyway? If either city was taken out by a nuclear bomb--heaven forbid--the impact would be felt in the global economy. What's gonna be the next topic of discussion--"my dad makes more money than your dad"?
It's not that simple though. If a nuclear bomb destroyed Houston; watch gas prices in your cities and states. If a nuclear bombed destroyed Atlanta; I'd be hurt and it would affect the global economy, but it wouldn't be as big of impact as Houston being destroyed.

Honestly when statements like these are made; it makes me think why are cities like Chicago, San Franciso and Los Angeles are looked at so highly, but yet Houston is just seen as average as far as importance. As if Energy and oil is nothing compared to technology, ports, and transportation.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:23 AM

4,230 posts, read 8,904,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's not that simple though. If a nuclear bomb destroyed Houston; watch gas prices in your cities and states. If a nuclear bombed destroyed Atlanta; I'd be hurt and it would affect the global economy, but it wouldn't be as big of impact as Houston being destroyed.
People think of Houston and they think Oil -> Gasoline. They don't realize that Oil = Electricity, Plastic, Asphalt, Waxes, Medical Equip., Cosmetics, Composites, Gasoline, etc. Take away Oil and you take away the very basics of modern society.

Without oil, you basically take away modern technology, transportation, the ports, and modern healthcare.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,592,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
People think of Houston and they think Oil -> Gasoline. They don't realize that Oil = Electricity, Plastic, Medical Equip., Cosmetics, Composites, Petroleum, etc. Take away Oil and you take away the very basics of modern society.

Without oil, you basically take away modern technology, transportation, the ports, and healthcare.
Well this is why many of the biggest companies in the world are in the oil and natural gas business.

But anyway, yeah they're both very important cities, and we should probably leave it at that.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 AM

4,230 posts, read 8,904,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
But anyway, yeah they're both very important cities, and we should probably leave it at that.
Trust, that's as far as I'm going. We've already said enough to add 10 more pages to this discussion in the next 12 hours.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 AM

4,563 posts, read 8,643,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
So while posters where asking what does Atlanta and Dallas dominate, no industry itself dominate these cities.
With those cities, it's not the industry but instead the type of work dominates the cities. Those two cities are just corporate headquarters which easily moves place to place; these companies do not harbor loyalty to the city they are in but just exploit its features until they are depleted. After the few executive positions, what are the other levels of employment these people are in? (Their secretaries (p.c. term "administrative assistants") and human resources personnel are the most common positions in the "headquarters" cities. These "unskilled" positions don't pay well compared to skilled positions such as accounting or in the finance department.)

For example if Hartsfield ceased to be an operating airport with excessive traffic in this "the world's busiest" airport, I might decide to move my company somewhere else. I could follow Nissan's lead into Nashville or move UPS hq from Atlanta to Memphis to capitalize on my biggest hub. The same could be said of DFW which is only popular because of corporate headquarters needing to move somewhere in Texas.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,150,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Honestly when statements like these are made; it makes me think why are cities like Chicago, San Franciso and Los Angeles are looked at so highly, but yet Houston is just seen as average as far as importance. As if Energy and oil is nothing compared to technology, ports, and transportation.
Houston CSA is 5,829,620
Atlanta CSA is 5,729,304

San Francisco Bay Area CMA is 7,354,555,
Chicago CSA is 9,793,036
Los Angeles CSA is 17,786,419

Maybe that why! then you know there a southern dislike here on city data.

first off, off Chicago is way more important than Houston and Chicago doesn’t dominate anything, but it’s a very Diverse economy. 2nd If a nuclear bomb destroyed Atlanta; there be a ripple effect in so many industries it will cause a burden on other cities. If Houston dominate the energy industry and economy was as diverse as Atlanta and Dallas or Atlanta and Dallas didn't have diverse economies while not leading in anything, then Houston will be more important then Atlanta and Dallas. I guess it quality vs quantity Houston quality in a few industries vs. Atlanta and Dallas quantity of being a key cities in more industries.

And no one said Houston is just seen as average as far as importance, I said "I don’t feel any of these cities out weigh the other to the point that one is more “important”. and importance is already a abstract claim." You see a Diverse economy as less Important. So if some one say they have equal importance you conclude that yourself! because you feel Dallas and Atlanta are average as far as importance.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM

18,267 posts, read 26,040,583 times
I personally do not think Atlanta or Dallas economies are not significantly more diverse than Houston economy when speaking as of today.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,497,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I personally do not think Atlanta or Dallas economies are not significantly more diverse than Houston economy when speaking as of today.
Me neither. Maybe back in the 80s, but definitely not today. Houston is diversifying nicely, while still being the dominant city in the energy industry. I think you could start seeing that when Houston's GDP started growing fast this decade and surpassed DFW.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,897,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Houston CSA is 5,829,620
Atlanta CSA is 5,729,304

San Francisco Bay Area CMA is 7,354,555,
Chicago CSA is 9,793,036
Los Angeles CSA is 17,786,419

Maybe that why! then you know there a southern dislike here on city data.

first off, off Chicago is way more important than Houston and Chicago doesn’t dominate anything, but it’s a very Diverse economy. 2nd If a nuclear bomb destroyed Atlanta; there be a ripple effect in so many industries it will cause a burden on other cities. If Houston dominate the energy industry and economy was as diverse as Atlanta and Dallas or Atlanta and Dallas didn't have diverse economies while not leading in anything, then Houston will be more important then Atlanta and Dallas. I guess it quality vs quantity Houston quality in a few industries vs. Atlanta and Dallas quantity of being a key cities in more industries.

And no one said Houston is just seen as average as far as importance, I said "I don’t feel any of these cities out weigh the other to the point that one is more “important”. and importance is already a abstract claim." You see a Diverse economy as less Important. So if some one say they have equal importance you conclude that yourself! because you feel Dallas and Atlanta are average as far as importance.
I've noticed you keep throwing out this diverse word; but you do realize Houston has one of the world's largest ports, manufacturing, large medical center, NASA, and a growing technology community. Houston's economy is quite diverse.

Bigger population isn't what makes a city important and when you look at the GDP of places like Chicago; it's not leading by much considering it's metro area is much bigger than Houston's.

I just don't see how Atlanta and Dallas diverse economy matches up to Houston's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or