U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,321,556 times
Reputation: 1263

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Dont worry it will be shut down for bickering after while and ill be glad when it does I really hate when those 3 cities are compared.

I think it got so bad one time, there was actually a moratorium on creating "______________ vs. Atlanta" threads for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if it were to occur again, but including Houston or Dallas on the "ban list" too. It's a testament that in spite of the differences between the three, there are enough similarities between them to where people can nitpick between the most piddling of differences. I'm just going to "Let Go and Let God" as my Grandma is always saying, LOL.

I was in Dallas last week for the first time in several years, and the similarities that it has between the two other cities was quite striking. Just shorter trees .

 
Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,321,556 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sorry that you feel that way but the post was never meant to tell you off. I've spoken positive about Atlanta as well; I guess me saying Houston is more important than Atlanta is bashing Atlanta in your eyes. I forgot who I was dealing with.
No, I don't think that you're "bashing" Atlanta in this instance. I just (respectfully) disagree with the "what is more important," because I think it's too subjective. We're just stating our opinions, it's not the Gospel according to Grindin/Jluke/etc.

How about we just agree to disagree and just move on? Is it Friday yet? LOL...
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I personally do not think Atlanta or Dallas economies are not significantly more diverse than Houston economy when speaking as of today.
Category:Companies based in Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free ...

Category:Companies based in Atlanta, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free ...

Category:Companies based in Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free ...

Houston is getting more diverse, but Atlanta or Dallas economies are still significantly more diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've noticed you keep throwing out this diverse word; but you do realize Houston has one of the world's largest ports, manufacturing, large medical center, NASA, and a growing technology community. Houston's economy is quite diverse.

Bigger population isn't what makes a city important and when you look at the GDP of places like Chicago; it's not leading by much considering it's metro area is much bigger than Houston's.

I just don't see how Atlanta and Dallas diverse economy matches up to Houston's economy.
Houston, has one of the world's largest ports, manufacturing, large medical center, NASA, and a growing technology community. ok then

Atlanta has the busiest airports in the world, railroad center, sizable manufacturing, growing biotech community: the CDC and soon Fort McPherson's, one higiest student enrollment, financial assets, a top U.S. Convention City, media assets, food industry, and a growing technology community.

You do realize Atlanta and Dallas GDP's are closer to Houston than, Houston is to Chicago? Yes Houston has the larger GDP then Atlanta and Dallas. but if look at the scope of things Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all in the same range I'm not just talking about GDP but in multiple areas. This isn't Chicago vs. St. Louis, Detroit, and Columbus, this isnít New York vs. Philly, DC, and Boston. This isnít Los Angeles vs. San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. This is Houston vs. Atlanta, and Dallas. "I donít feel any of these cities out weigh the other to the point that one is more ďimportantĒ. and importance is already a abstract claim."
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,492,598 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Thanks Dr. Phil, but maybe it's because Houston dominates when it comes to importance and Dallasites and Atliens just don't like that. It's funny how when Houston actually might excel in something that you guys make us out to suffer from an inferiority complex.

When it came to diversity; Houston couldn't have that because people from Atl were whining about that and saying they were just as diverse and throwing out statistics which proved nothing.

When it came to being internationally known; Houston couldn't have that because Miami's world famous beaches and nightlife and Atlanta with CNN, TBS, and rap music.

When it came to education: Houston couldn't have that because well Atlanta offered a better educational center; not too many Houstonians argued that because it was true.

Whenever it comes to Importance; Houston can't have this because some how Coke, busiest airport, CDC and UPS match up against One of the world's largest ports, Energy, Oil and more.
...which explains why the rest of the Sunbelt bows down in the direction of Houston to pray five times daily.

But seriously, just because Atlanta is known internationally for CNN and Coca-Cola doesn't preclude Houston from being known internationally for oil. Just because Atlanta has several nationally prominent universities doesn't mean that Houston doesn't have several prominent universities. Just because Atlanta has the world's busiest airport doesn't mean that Houston doesn't have a busy airport. Do you see the pattern? Nobody else really cites their city's attributes to the detriment of others.

This whole "whenever it comes to importance" thing is so small that it's funny.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You do realize Atlanta and Dallas GDP's are closer to Houston than, Houston is to Chicago? Yes Houston has the larger GDP then Atlanta and Dallas. but if look at the scope of things Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all in the same range I'm not just talking about GDP but in multiple areas. This isn't Chicago vs. St. Louis, Detroit, and Columbus, this isn’t New York vs. Philly, DC, and Boston. This isn’t Los Angeles vs. San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. This is Houston vs. Atlanta, and Dallas. "I don’t feel any of these cities out weigh the other to the point that one is more “important”. and importance is already a abstract claim."
Atlanta is actually much lower than Houston and DFW.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,492,598 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
:c rying:

I've always said that Houston was more diverse than Atlanta, so don't lump us all in just because you have some personal axe to grind.

When we were talking about which city had the most educational opportunities, it still turned into a major pi$$ing contest, because people just couldn't concede that there is a larger concentration of colleges in the Atlanta area than in Houston or Dallas. There was a lot of "what if's" about if all of Texas' colleges were in the same area, but at the end of the day, that was a meaningless strawman argument.

As for "importance," I agree that energy and transportation are VERY important to this nation, and I'm not downplaying the accomplishments of Houston at all. I just feel that it's too subjective to say that one is more important than the other, because I feel that Telecommunications (Dallas), Air & Rail Transportation/Cargo (Atlanta/Dallas), High-Tech (Dallas) are pretty important in and of themselves.

But anyway, I've said too much, this thread has been shot to hell anyway and we're going nowhere fast.
Lord have mercy, grindin, thank you!!!

All three cities have their own niches and functions and each one of them have experienced periods when they've done better than the other two. Conversely each one has bottomed out worse than the other two over the past few decades. Houston was hit hard by record low oil prices in the late 80s/early 90s, Dallas was hit hard by the S&L fallout of the late 80s, and Atlanta is currently being hit hard by the real estate downturn. But when you look at all three over the past forty years--they've grown and prospered similarly!!! But if some folks want their city to be known as the bestest most important city, then let them have their fun.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
883 posts, read 1,922,728 times
Reputation: 445
Yeah, but both sides take it the wrong way. There isnt one particular side to blame. Its not just the "pro-Houston" side.

-Houston is the most important, doesnt mean that the other cities aren't important at all.
-Houston is the most diverse, doesn't mean that the other cities aren't diverse
-Houston has the highest GAP in the south doesn't meant that the other cities don't have high GDP's in their own right.

Yet, if I put all of that into a statement, without the "doesnt mean" part, people are going to take that as bragging. Then all of a sudden we have ridiculous statements in response like

Quote:
.... which explains why the rest of the Sunbelt bows down in the direction of Houston to pray five times daily.
(Yes, I know it was meant in good humor, but my point remains, the blame goes both ways.)
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
2,271 posts, read 4,410,431 times
Reputation: 1584
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Lord have mercy, grindin, thank you!!!

All three cities have their own niches and functions and each one of them have experienced periods when they've done better than the other two. Conversely each one has bottomed out worse than the other two over the past few decades. Houston was hit hard by record low oil prices in the late 80s/early 90s, Dallas was hit hard by the S&L fallout of the late 80s, and Atlanta is currently being hit hard by the real estate downturn. But when you look at all three over the past forty years--they've grown and prospered similarly!!! But if some folks want their city to be known as the bestest most important city, then let them have their fun.
Bestest estest in the world everest, thank you very much.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,115,677 times
Reputation: 3185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Atlanta is actually much lower than Houston and DFW.
It's still closer to Houston than Houston is chicago.

Again repost

Quote:
You do realize Atlanta and Dallas GDP's are closer to Houston than, Houston is to Chicago? Yes Houston has the larger GDP then Atlanta and Dallas. but if you look at the scope of things Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all in the same range I'm not just talking about GDP but in multiple areas. This isn't Chicago vs. St. Louis, Detroit, and Columbus, this isnít New York vs. Philly, DC, and Boston. This isnít Los Angeles vs. San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle. This is Houston vs. Atlanta, and Dallas. "I donít feel any of these cities out weigh the other to the point that one is more ďimportantĒ. and importance is already a abstract claim."
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It's still closer to Houston than Houston is chicago.

Again repost
Actually, Houston is closer to Chicago than Atlanta is to Houston, but not by too much: http://i45.tinypic.com/2evqo1v.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top