Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,810,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
It's probably not the leader in anything but even without being a leader it's still ranked on the same level as Houston leader or nor leader... Personally I don't feel neither is more important than than the other
well judging from the criteria the gawc uses, i would say that they seem to be ranking dominance/popularity, not importance. those are two different things

with that said, i would argue that houston is more important than atlanta and dallas

but importance isn't synonymous with popularity or power, and it doesn't mean houston's superior, so atlantans please don't get bent out of shape

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 AM

17 posts, read 34,961 times
I wasn't saying Atlanta was more important(I actually think ATL, DFW, HOU, and MIA are equally important) but some of the posters earlier were using GaWC to show their "proof" about Houston being more important, and since now the list has changed the posters that clung on to that list so much should agree with it now as well.

And about NASA, I really don't think that many people outside of the U.S(and maybe Canada) really care about Houston being important to NASA. The EU, Russia, Japan and some other countries have their own space program. So I don't think NASA is nearly as well known overseas as it is here in the U.S

Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,227,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

but importance isn't synonymous with popularity or power, and it doesn't mean houston's superior, so atlantans please don't get bent out of shape
LOL. Make a passive aggressive remark downplaying Atlanta and ask us not to get bent out of shape. Yeah, that'll go over well. LMAO.

But seriously, no, we may not have NASA, the energy industry, big medical centers or a huge port to boast about, but Atlanta does hold its own in many ways. We're not dominated by one major industry. I know some of the Houstonians will say that what Atlanta is known for doesn't personally affect them and therefore, it's not as important, but what Atlanta does must be affecting someone. We are classified as a Beta World City for a reason.

I think we all know how important Houston is. We're only reminded of this on this forum damn near every day.

Third in the number of Fortune 500 Companies headquartered in a city after NYC and Houston (and that's nothing to sneeze at considering we're a smaller city than NYC or HOU). Not to mention the many companies that are headquartered throughout the metro area.We also serve as the regional HQ's for many companies.

World's Busiest Airport. A lot of companies factor this in their relocation to the Atlanta area. DFW Airport was a huge force in driving the Metroplex's economy as well. There are a lot

HQ to Delta Air Lines.

There is a growing Biotechnology sector in the city.

We're a major Cable Television Programming center with Turner Broadcasting being headquartered here.

Defense, Finance, Law, Retail, Construction, etc.

I will say a lot of Atlanta's economic growth was affected by the recession because there was a dependency on real estate and construction due to the rapid growth of the area for many years. Obviously, the slowdown of that sector has affected Atlanta's economy quite a bit.

For the record, I think that Houston is good in what it does, Atlanta is good in what it does. I can't really say that one is more important or more superior than the other.

Last edited by grindin; 02-22-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIATL View Post
I wasn't saying Atlanta was more important(I actually think ATL, DFW, HOU, and MIA are equally important) but some of the posters earlier were using GaWC to show their "proof" about Houston being more important, and since now the list has changed the posters that clung on to that list so much should agree with it now as well.

And about NASA, I really don't think that many people outside of the U.S(and maybe Canada) really care about Houston being important to NASA. The EU, Russia, Japan and some other countries have their own space program. So I don't think NASA is nearly as well known overseas as it is here in the U.S
i doubt that. from being the first word spoken on the moon to being part of that infamous line in apollo 13, i'm pretty sure many people around the world are able to associate houston with space exploration. plus, the johnson space center has visitors from all over the world, so yeah..

and even though you say that people don't know much about houston and nasa, i'm sure you would insist that everybody around the world knows coca cola is from atlanta, right? (even though i myself only found out a couple of years ago)

everyone has the right to their own opinion, but i still say houston is a little more important to our nation. i mean seriously, what do atlanta and dallas do that another city doesn't do more of? i've heard them referred to as "second string" cities, and i kind of agree with that

Old 02-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
LOL. Make a passive aggressive remark downplaying Atlanta and ask us not to get bent out of shape. Yeah, that'll go over well. LMAO.

But seriously, no, we may not have NASA, the energy industry, big medical centers or a huge port to boast about, but Atlanta does hold its own in many ways. We're not dominated by one major industry. I know some of the Houstonians will say that what Atlanta is known for doesn't personally affect them and therefore, it's not as important, but what Atlanta does must be affecting someone. We are classified as a Beta World City for a reason.

I think we all know how important Houston is. We're only reminded of this on this forum damn near every day.

Third in the number of Fortune 500 Companies headquartered in a city after NYC and Houston (and that's nothing to sneeze at considering we're a smaller city than NYC or HOU). Not to mention the many companies that are headquartered throughout the metro area.We also serve as the regional HQ's for many companies.

World's Busiest Airport. A lot of companies factor this in their relocation to the Atlanta area. DFW Airport was a huge force in driving the Metroplex's economy as well. There are a lot

HQ to Delta Air Lines.

There is a growing Biotechnology sector in the city.

We're a major Cable Television Programming center with Turner Broadcasting being headquartered here.

Defense, Finance, Law, Retail, Construction, etc.

I will say a lot of Atlanta's economic growth was affected by the recession because there was a dependency on Real Estate and Construction due to the rapid growth of the area for many years. Obviously, the slowdown of that sector has affected Atlanta's economy quite a bit.

For the record, I think that Houston is good in what it does, Atlanta is good in what it does. I can't really say that one is more important or more superior than the other.
but see you brought up "superior". whose talking about superiority?

and for the record, i'm not trying to suggest atlanta is some useless city. because it certainly didn't get to where it is today by being unimportant. i just feel that it's not as important

Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,070,273 times
Quote:
i doubt that. from being the first word spoken on the moon to being part of that infamous line in apollo 13, i'm pretty sure many people around the world are able to associate houston with space exploration. plus, the johnson space center has visitors from all over the world, so yeah..

and even though you say that people don't know much about houston and nasa, i'm sure you would insist that everybody around the world knows coca cola is from atlanta, right? (even though i myself only found out a couple of years ago)

everyone has the right to their own opinion, but i still say houston is a little more important to our nation. i mean seriously, what do atlanta and dallas do that another city doesn't do more of? i've heard them referred to as "second string" cities, and i kind of agree with that
Yeah; I think Houston is more important than Atlanta, Miami and Dallas. I've yet to see a good reason why those other cities should rank up with Houston in importance. What keeps Houston down is our lack of publicity and appeal. I feel those two things are more relevant in those lists than importance.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 02-22-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,227,754 times

Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 34,961 times
Quote:

Actually I myself only found out that Atlanta owned Coca Cola just a few years ago, but I'm more than likely younger than most people on this thread so I don't find that surprising, like you said everyone has the right to their own opinion and my opinion is that none of the 4 major cities in the south are more important than each other, they are all good at separate things so it's kind of hard to compare them. I'm sure most people that know about Houston know that it's NASA's star city but to the rest of the world especially the EU Russia and Japan I think NASA importance and presence is greatly smaller than what it is in the U.S and Canada

Old 02-22-2010, 09:26 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,070,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIATL View Post
Actually I myself only found out that Atlanta owned Coca Cola just a few years ago, but I'm more than likely younger than most people on this thread so I don't find that surprising, like you said everyone has the right to their own opinion and my opinion is that none of the 4 major cities in the south are more important than each other, they are all good at separate things so it's kind of hard to compare them. I'm sure most people that know about Houston know that it's NASA's star city but to the rest of the world especially the EU Russia and Japan I think NASA importance and presence is greatly smaller than what it is in the U.S and Canada
Yeah,but you forgot Energy and oil. Houston is the American division for 5 of the 6 supermajor oil companies and it's the center of America's energy industry. Also it receives more homeland security funding than any other city in the south; I believe this is due to Houston's strong relations with Energy and Oil and it being a high risk area due to that. Energy and Oil are VERY important to this country and we'd be lost without it.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,053,182 times
Quote:
houston is the space city, has the largest medical district in the universe, operates one of our nation's most vital ports, and it's arguably (or not) the energy capital of the world.......yeah, those things don't sound too important

what is atlanta the capital of again? (besides the state of georgia)
Quote:
evidently everyone doesn't know, because just above is a poster basically claiming houston is less important

besides, my question wasn't whether or not atlanta was important, i was asking what is atlanta the capital of. what area of this nation's economy is atlanta a leader in?
Do you realize Atlanta is top 10 in student enrollment, financial assets, U.S. Convention Cities, media assets, things that Houston are clearly not? I’m not going to say Houston economy isn’t diverse but compare to Atlanta it’s not. Atlanta doesn’t have to be the capital in a specific industry, doesn’t matter but however Atlanta is a top city in so many in industries it’s not even funny. The only things Houston probably has that Atlanta is not in the picture is the energy sector and a sea port. For instance biomedical Houston is number 1, home to TMC but however Atlanta is home to CDC and Fort Mcpherson is being redevelop into a biomedical research park so Atlanta is still a top city. But flip that and talk about the Food Service industry "another example" where is Houston? This might be the reason why despite Houston having a higher GPD, GaWC ranked Atlanta and Dallas higher. So instead of asking what industry Atlanta and Dallas dominate? You should being asking how many industries Atlanta and Dallas are top cities and Houston is not. And the funny thing is Atlanta is the travel hub for most of the deep south and as we speak a new international terminal is being built. I say Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are equal in importance.

But Houston is more important because it dominate the energy industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City