Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Both of those cities just make me think of bland, newer housing with no character and suburban sprawl. Give me an older city with character anyday like Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, New York, Chicago, etc.
Unfortunately for you, the characteristics you attribute to Houston and Atlanta are nothing more than petty stereotypes (no fault of your own). Sure, they're a bit younger than the northern cities, but they all but lack character. Not overly familiar with Atlanta, but Houston is one of the most eccentric and unique places you'll find. Everything from bohemian and artsy neighborhoods to pedestrian friendly areas that would give places like Philly and Pittsburgh a run for their money. And both cities are covered with historic houses, old trees, buildings, and brick roads. Houston is also much more diverse than many of those cities you mentioned.

But I won't lie to you. The further from the urban cores you go, the closer you'll get to the hideous suburban sprawl. Not at all that pleasing, with the exception of a few older, more remarkable suburbs.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
AGain, never said Houston wasnt diverse. Houston is a very diverse city. Dont get me wrong. As for size, Houston is 6th largest MSA in the country, some say 5 now...official US Census numbers arent out yet. Houston proper is the 4th largest. So yes you are right in saying not many have the size of Houston...but size does not always equate to absolute diversity rank. Your city is ranked higher than number 7 in population, but your own city markets itself as the 7th most diverse city in the country.

Was just merely stating what your own people of Houston who market your city are using that stat for marketing your city. A rank of number 7 is very high. They were using the #7 ranking as a selling point, not to put down their own city. The reason I looked it up was b/c I thought #3 would have gone to at least LA, NYC, and perhaps another California MSA...but #7 is not unreasonable given HOuston's location in Texas and wave of immigration from Mexico and int'l immigration given the business growth there. And I recall looking at the Brookings Institute numbers earlier in the year.
That's basically it. It's not meant to detract from Houston...I acknowledge your city is very diverse, more diverse than DFW. I'm just merely stating what your own city leaders use for marketing stats...and I think it's a very good stat to claim to be the 7th most diverse city in the nation...it's not meant to demean Houston in any way.

Keep in mind that Atlanta, GA's MSA population is roughly the size of Houston's, yet its diversity is considerably less....so yes absolute size matters, but then again, in this case percentages matter too.

But I do agree with the next post after yours that Calif and NYC have lots of diversity as well.
How is racial diversity a plus?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Ok, I think this poll is not too fair since alot more Houstonites seem to frequent this forum than people from Atlanta. When you compare the two city propers, obviously ATL falls short(your comparing 400k to over 2 mill) but both Metro areas stand pretty equal. Looking at Fortune 500 locations both the Atl and HOU metros have plenty but of course Houstonites will always point to the statistic showing Houston to be #2 in the country with 20 becuase Houston proper was able to annex all of it surrounding lands, unlike Atlanta.

I'm not knocking Houston-I think both it and Atlanta are part of the second tier U.S. cities/metros behind NY,LA, and CHI. Just don't underestimate Atlanta. Its the economic hub of the Eastern half of the South.
Also, the GDP of the HOuston region is only marginally larger than that of Atlanta's.
http://www.usmayors.org/74thWinterMe...anuary2006.pdf

Both cities are growing rapidly and have similar problems to address (public transportation, illegal immigation, crime, etc)
You do realize that the actual city of Houston encompasses about half of Houston's suburbs. So obviously, yeah, they're going to have more people. If Atlanta annexed half its suburbs, it'd have a much larger population, too.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yes, Atlanta is a prosperous city, but I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that Houston has a lot more going for it in terms of being a big city.
Houston has a lot more going for it? Says who? You base your opinion on what?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yes, but look at the cities that have a proper population that makes up a great deal of the metro: Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York. That's a real city, to me. When going to a city, I want the city. I don't want the area.
City proper means squat if the boundaries are so huge that they take up roughly half of the developed area in the metropolitan area. That's what Houston does. Atlanta's boundaries haven't changed since the 50s, and the city proper boundaries are rather small in area with respect to the size of Houston's city proper area.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We're not saying that Atlanta isn't diverse. We're saying it's not as diverse as Atlanta. The metro as a whole is still seen as a black and white city. It does have a great number of international presence but not as much as Houston. Houston has a much larger Asian, African, Hispanic, and Pacific-Islander population than Atlanta. It has more consulates than any city except New York and Chicago. It also has much largest foreign born population in Atlanta.

Somebody else mentioned, Atlanta wins in airport, but Houston wins at the seaport level. Which brings in many from SouthEast Asia and Western Africa. Houston has the largest Nigerian population in America and the third largest in the world. Houston has one of the largest Arabian population in the world. Houston also has the 3rd largest Vietnamese population in the world. It's just a bit more diverse than Atlanta. The only city that rivals Houston in diversity in the south is Miami.

I've yet to see that. I've seen them on the same level but Houston slightly higher because of the number of fortune 500 companies, it's highly successful seaport, and it's international presence in the medical , energy, and oil industry.
Wow, Houston has more third worlders. Lovely. That makes a city so much better, despite all the linguistic, social, cultural, racial, and economic problems brought that loosen the metaphorical laces of community cohesion.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Have to add Chicago to that as well as Miami. Chicago has a large hispanic base. The city has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the United States. Larger Puerto Rican and Dominican population. City has the 2nd most blacks and metro the 3rd most. I could go on but I think it is up there with those 4.

Same with Miami.
Don't you really mean that Chicago is a huge magnet for attracting ILLEGALS who shouldn't be in the United States. Yet, you act like it's a plus. Wow, don't you have enough graffiti, failing schools, tb, and mariachi music up into the wee hours of the morning. I suppose that more will make your city better.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Wow, Houston has more third worlders. Lovely. That makes a city so much better, despite all the linguistic, social, cultural, racial, and economic problems brought that loosen the metaphorical laces of community cohesion.
That's better than chocolate and vanilla. There is a lot of reverse racism in Atlanta. It's ripe for a riot worse than Katrina. Boy that gave me heartburn, I need some MYLANTA after talking about Atlanta so much. At least Houston is progressive and lacks racial tension. The guitar string is very tight and about to break in Atlanta while in Houston it's barely wound.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
How is racial diversity a plus?
I personially find both racial and cultural diversity to be interesting and somewhat stimulating because it gives me a chance to meet people who have a different background and (sometimes) outlook on life than myself.

I like learning new things.

I don't always agree with those I've met, but I can usually appreciate where they're coming from, at least to a certain extent.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Don't you really mean that Chicago is a huge magnet for attracting ILLEGALS who shouldn't be in the United States. Yet, you act like it's a plus. Wow, don't you have enough graffiti, failing schools, tb, and mariachi music up into the wee hours of the morning. I suppose that more will make your city better.
First off, not EVERY Hispanic is illegal. Sure there are tons of illegals in Chicago, but cmon, just because theyre Hispanic doesnt mean theyre illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City