Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,393,698 times

Advertisements

Scraper is one reason why I don't like Atlanta. I think a race riot will erupt in Atlanta soon. In the city of Dr. Martin Luther King...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,984,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
The vast majority are illegal. Geez, don't you remember the illegal alien marches throughout the streets of Chicago, just a little over a year ago.

Studies and surveys indicate that upwards of 80-90% of the Mexicans in Chicago and in most places in the US (particularly those away from the Mexican border) are illegal. Don't fool yourself. Celebrate common-sense and logic, not the flawed utopian dream of diversity.
Haha, studies and surveys have shown? What, do people stand on the streets in Chicago's immigrant neighborhoods asking passerby's if they're illegal?

80-90% of Chicago's Hispanics are illegal?!? That is likely the most idiotic statement I have EVER heard. A large number of Chicago's Hispanics are actually from Puerto Rico, which, last time I checked, was still part of the United States. The majority of Hispanics in Chicago are actually children, who are more than likely legal citizens, even if some of their parents aren't.

Lord have mercy.

It seems like you have many racist and close-minded beliefs. From your posts, you don't seem to have many outside cultural experiences. While you're wasting your breath talking about how "white" culture needs to be preserved (whatver that is), minority culture will expand.

Minority populations have played such an integral role in constructing this country. That will be even more true as this country keeps going.

If you don't like it, I am sure there are plenty of other countries that will welcome you with open arms.

Last edited by miamiman; 10-30-2007 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,897,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, why don't you two go form DecafEthusaist Town and only allow whites in.

Seriously, having diversity is a plus. I love being able to experience different cultures of the world right in my own city. Those nations you named (China and Japan) are not the same as America. Immigrants come to America for better opportunity, not China. It is pretty obvious why Japan and China will never have the diversity of America.
hmm hmm so there you go labeling me a racist as well. My only point was that a multicultural society is not inheritantly superior to a monocultural one. If someone wants to live in a place where he has people similar to him, that is no more racist than wanting to live in a diverse area. I sure as hell would not want to live in an all-white town.

Seriously, why is the US so race sensetive? I think we take ourselves to seriously sometimes. My roomate is black and we have become pretty good friends and are able to laugh at our races and racist jokes, knowing we mean nothing hurtful by them.

I think you are intelligent enough to realize that I am not racist. In fact, I'm more of a culturalist/classist than a racist. I would rather be friends with a black man with similar values as me than a white "white trash". My only thing is that we as whites have as much right to celebrate ourselves and culture as everyone else. I realize that America has never been all-white (although it was once all Native American) but since we have made up the majority we cannot be blamed for wanting to retain it. Simple evolution.

Personally, I go to a major university that is pretty diverse (we have some of the highest percentages of blacks in the South) and we all get along pretty well. I have friends of other races. I like meeting people of different beliefs/races
But by preferring as many not white people to live near as possible is in fact racist.

P.S. So by saying that Japan and China will never have the diversity of America, are you saying their culture is inferior? Have you ever been to Asia, my friend? I will tell you it is not inferior and their solidarity strengthens them.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 PM

699 posts, read 2,229,804 times
Actually China and Japan does have diversity. When people think of Chinese people, they think of the Han Chinese automatically, but there are many different ethnicities in China. Besides the Han Chinese, there are the Manchus, Hui, Zhuang, Yi, etc. All of them are Chinese. They might not be racially diverse, but there are so many different ethnic cultures such as Korean, Mongolian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Tibetan (forced) and so on. Each have their own sub-culture within the country, much like how they have them here in America.

Japan has pockets of ethnic diversity as well, with Koreans, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Chinese and so forth.

Just because they don't have large amounts of Hispanics or Blacks doesn't mean they do not have diversity at all.

Last edited by tenken627; 10-30-2007 at 10:37 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,897,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Actually China and Japan does have diversity. When people think of Chinese people, they think of the Han Chinese automatically, but there are many different ethnicities in China. Besides the Han Chinese, there are the Manchus, Hui, Zhuang, Yi, etc. All of them are Chinese. They might not be racial diverse, but there are so many different cultures such as Korean, Mongolian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Tibetan (forced) and so on. Each have their own sub-culture within the country, much like how they have them here in America.

Japan has pockets of ethnic diversity as well, with Koreans, Filipinos, Vietnamese, Chinese and so forth.

Just because they don't have large amounts of Hispanics or Blacks doesn't mean they do not have diversity at all.
Tenken, Han Chinese make up over 92% of China. Sure there are other cultural groups but they only combine for merely 8%! Racially, even less so. China is quite monocultural. I understand China is a huge country so it is not all the same but compared with a western democracy it is not very diverse.

Japan is even less diverse than China! I am saying this is not at all a negative thing. I have studied in Taiwan and visited Shanghai and enjoyed my time immensely.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Tenken, Han Chinese make up over 92% of China. Sure there are other cultural groups but they only combine for merely 8%! Racially, even less so. China is quite monocultural. I understand China is a huge country so it is not all the same but compared with a western democracy it is not very diverse.

Japan is even less diverse than China! I am saying this is not at all a negative thing. I have studied in Taiwan and visited Shanghai and enjoyed my time immensely.
Yep decaf, it's nowhere near as diverse as America, but China and Japan does have some diversity, and they are more diverse than many countries in the world, including "white European" ones.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to piggy back on this thread and get that message out.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,823,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Yep decaf, it's nowhere near as diverse as America, but China and Japan does have some diversity, and they are more diverse than many countries in the world, including "white European" ones.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to piggy back on this thread and get that message out.
Actually, most European countries have much higher percentages of minorities than China and Japan. In France, racial minorities account for about fifteen percent of the total. Many muslims now live in the UK, France, Germany, etc. Have you not heard of the massive changes the "leaders" are bringing to Europe. It's a shame.

You really need to obtain more information on the topic before saying such a non-truth.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Actually, most European countries have much higher percentages of minorities than China and Japan. In France, racial minorities account for about fifteen percent of the total. Many muslims now live in the UK, France, Germany, etc. Have you not heard of the massive changes the "leaders" are bringing to Europe. It's a shame.

You really need to obtain more information on the topic before saying such a non-truth.
Yes yes, we all know about UK, France, Germany and Western Europe. But, Western Europe doesn't make up all of Europe.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,301,275 times
Where's a moderator to lock this board?

Old 10-31-2007, 08:18 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,547,885 times
Quote:
More diverse? I suppose if you mean a greater Mexican percentage: Hey, you got me. Perhaps you beat us because we don't have enough "fiesta markets" (actually none). Still, Metro Atlanta is fairly diverse, with whites unfortunately down to only around 52% of the metro population. Houston is lower, with a sad white metro percentage of around 40%. Hello Tijuana, here comes Houston. I guess you don't notice the white flight to the far north areas around Conroe and the Woodlands, or out to Katy. Yeah, they only want to go there because of "good schools". Sure, race has nothing to do with it.
Check your facts. Houston is the third most diverse city in the nation with 80+ foreign consulates and close to 100 different languages are spoken here.

Quote:
Cosmopolitan? Define cosmopolitan.
Don't be lazy. Go to dictionary.com (Either way, Houston fits that definition better than Atlanta ever could)

Quote:
More developed? How so? Houston has a longer "strip-develop", say along I-45 (some 90 miles from Galveston up to Conroe), but get off I-45 about ten miles west of League City, and it isn't so developed. Atlanta is more developed east west, and I'd argue has a bulkier development (more spread-out) development pattern than Houston (in terms of square mileage).
Houston is more filled in. I don't think many of your Atlanta posters would argue even this. On a visit to both cities, it's obvious which is the larger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City