Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 196 50.26%
Houston 194 49.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 04:03 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times

Advertisements

[quote=Scraper Enthusiast;1879584]So of course when someone speaks the truth, given that so many people are pansies when it comes to speaking the truth, it appears odd to them.[\QUOTE]

Scraper,

Saying racist/prejudiced opinion on an anonymous forum doesn't make you brave--rather it makes you a shameless idiot.

What "traditional white America" do you speak of? Are talking about Southern Scots-Irish whites, New York Jews, Boston Irish, Chicago Poles, Minnesota Swedes, Texas Czechs, Wisconsin Germans, Louisiana Cajuns, New Jersey Italians, New Mexico Spaniard Criollos, or California Armenians? Seriously, what is "traditional white America"?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Scraper Enthusiast, you have some serious issues I am guessing in your life. "Traditional White America"? That is never going to be the way America is ever again, and I am glad! America was built to be the land of the free and home of the brave, no matter what color, or ethnicity you are. You really are giving Atlanta a bad name.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:17 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
I agree with much of what you say, but what's with the last sentence? You can tell I was raised south of the VMH?
You seem to have a short memory.

(VMH - Veterans Memorial Highway)

Nevermind...

Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
[quote=south-to-west;1879760]
Quote:
So of course when someone speaks the truth, given that so many people are pansies when it comes to speaking the truth, it appears odd to them.[\QUOTE]

Scraper,

Saying racist/prejudiced opinion on an anonymous forum doesn't make you brave--rather it makes you a shameless idiot.

What "traditional white America" do you speak of? Are talking about Southern Scots-Irish whites, New York Jews, Boston Irish, Chicago Poles, Minnesota Swedes, Texas Czechs, Wisconsin Germans, Louisiana Cajuns, New Jersey Italians, New Mexico Spaniard Criollos, or California Armenians? Seriously, what is "traditional white America"?
Perhaps you need to realize that immigration policy, up until 1965, ensured the the nation remain majority white into the future. This was by design from the nation's founding. It doesn't matter where the immigrants came from, as long as they were European, as this was the "traditional America" that I am talking about.

Secondly, most people are prejudiced, but they have been told that it is not okay to have these normal feelings. Why do you think that people seek out areas where most of the people are of their race. It is because they feel comfortable around those who look like them. This is normal human nature, and it is healthy. Do you honestly believe that supporting policies which go in direct opposition to normal human behavior, as well as good historical policy, is in the best interests of the United States? If you do, then you're obviously beyond being reached, unless personal experience finally reveals to you the truth some time in the future.

Your points make you a deluded individual, in my opinion. Don't refer to me as an idiot, if you aren't willing to have an opinion turned back on you.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
You seem to have a short memory.

(VMH - Veterans Memorial Highway)

Nevermind...
Why would I think you were referring to Veterans Memorial Highway? This is on a thread comparing Houston and Atlanta.

My parents live in the area. I now live in Woodstock.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Just because Houstonians have the "attitude of a city that's the center of the universe" doesnt make it so.
I never said it was. I said it carries itself as if it could be. While I don't consider Houston the center of the universe, you'd be hard pressed to try and convince other Houstonians otherwise. In fact, they'll shut you up before you get a chance to talk, lol.

Quote:
And by judging this thread that stereotype rings true. Houston isn't even the center of Texas, much less anything larger.
Oh, hush.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Rcsteiner, I appear "irrational"? In what way?
Many of your comments to me specifically appear to involve topics which are either tenuously related at best to what I was talking about, or are completely unrelated to the comments that I was making and the context in which I was making them.

One has to wonder at your sanity (or at the very least your agenda) when you appear to equate my simple comment about having curiosity about others to being a gung-ho full-fledged diversity worshiper.

Most of your positions are fine (even if I don't agree), but your attempt to put words in my mouth in this thread frankly pisses me off.

Does that help clarify?

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-31-2007 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
This is really rehashing old arguments. You argue that Houston is more important and cosmopolitan than Atlanta and I argue that they're not really that different in those regards. I'm sure that most people would agree with me. I really doubt that you've been too Atlanta if you think Houston is that much more urban.
I assure you I've been to Atlanta, and while I never said I didn't like the city (love it), your arguments only prove to me that your definitions of urban and cosmopolitan are definitely the alternative ones. I go by the book.

Quote:
As far as San Fran, when you count the CMSA in the Bay Area, it is far larger than Atlanta and Houston. It's also one of the leading financial centers in the world.
That's because it pulls a "DFW" adding a whole other major city into the mix.

Quote:
Obviously it's impossible to convince you otherwise--you've clearly drunk the kool-aid in Houston.
And don't you forget it.

Quote:
Houston is a very consmopolitan and international city, but it's not on the same level as NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, or San Francisco.
Actually it is on the same level as DC. Because the GaWC says so. Say what you may about them, but they put extensive research into that project, and I say that they're more qualified than any of us to compose such a list.

Houston is much closer than Atlanta to being a first tier city.

Quote:
Those five metro areas are at the top eschelon. Cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Minneapolis, and Seattle comprise the next level.
Turn off the television and let's get it right. Houston, Dallas, and Boston THEN Miami and Atlanta then Seattle and...Minneapolis? Are you kidding me?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
"Third most diverse city". You mean third most non-white among major cities in the U.S. Diversity is simply another word used to celebrate the destruction of traditional white America. We all know that. Some celebrate it. I don't.
That's not what diverse means.

Quote:
Different people have different ideas about what constitutes "cosmopolitaness". What's yours?
No sir, you're not allowed to make up your own definition. Be an adult and use the dictionary.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
rcsteiner, I've stated this multiple times. If you grow up in overwhelmingly homogeneous areas, such as most of the metro Twin Cities, you don't give it much a thought because you don't encounter it and experience it on a day to day basis.
I'm glad you see the obvious. Because of this, I don't presume to consider myself an expert on race relations except in the contexts I've actually experienced. That is why I've not voiced any strong opinions on this forum about race relations. I'm still formulating them.

Is that fact somehow a problem for you?

Keep in mind, though, that the above also means that I have 40 years of direct experience living in an area of the US which doesn't seem to follow the pattern of racial tension that I seem to have found down here in Atlanta.

That is why I tend to question it being a US-wide issue. It's an issue in some places (Atlanta), but not as much of an issue in others (the Twin Cities).

Does that make sense to you? Or is it a problem, too?

Quote:
Your opinions are namely formed via the media, or your parents who obtained their opinions from the media, not real life experience.
Oh, bull****.

My opinions about the Twin Cities are based on 40 years of growing up and living in that area.

My opinions about Atlanta are newly formed and subject to change, since I'm only passingly familiar with the areas and people that I've seen, and that only for a few years at this point.

I've not been correcting your positions or arguing with you otherwise, which makes me somewhat curious as to why you seem so intent on lecturing me and converting me to a position I might already largely agree with.

As luck would have it, I really haven't formulated an opinion yet about race relations in Atlanta. I haven't been here long enough. So why exactly are you trying to correct my viewpoint? Or are you trying to demonstrate to me just how ****ing stupid the native white folks in Atlanta really are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City