Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dose this article Resonate in your city?
Yes 2 20.00%
No 1 10.00%
Some yes/Some no 3 30.00%
Don't care 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Does this article resonate in your city like it does in Philadelphia?

If so, why?

I am on the fence on my read of this article but as dead middle Gen Xer a lot does resonate (caveat not all) as a Gen Xer and a Philadelphian.

Am curious on thoughts from around the country as well

How Gen X and Gen Y Will Change Philadelphia - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
GenY: We're pissed.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
GenY prefers San Diego, Austin and Portland over Philly.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
As a "member" of Gen Z I can't really speak on this topic that much but it certainly is an interesting article, a bit on the mean side (Writer on the Baby Boomers: "You mean these people aren’t dying already?"), I got a sense of entitlement vibe as well but there are some legitimate arguments.

Interesting thread this shall be, I'll be tuned in.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
As a "member" of Gen Z I can't really speak on this topic that much but it certainly is an interesting article, a bit on the mean side (Writer on the Baby Boomers: "You mean these people aren’t dying already?"), I got a sense of entitlement vibe as well but there are some legitimate arguments.
Agree. As a boomer, I feel I've been through a cycle. When we were the young guns, we looked at the generation above us as having created a controlling, rules-bound and freedom-squelching world. Now it's odd - in general, I think instead of focusing on all their faults, my generation appreciates what our parents provided. In turn, we are now on the receiving end of what we dished out to our parents.

Each generation makes great strides and great mistakes. I am proud of my generation for fighting for racial civil rights and starting the push for women's equality. Also, I wonder how many younger folks realize the Boomers started Earth Day and our efforts led to the establishment of the EPA. Without these efforts, we wouldn't be seeing the seeds we planted for racial and gender equality start to reach fruition with the values I see the Xs and Ys living. This early work of Boomers then set the stage for the progress Xs and Ys are making in glbt equality (which we never would have touched) as well as the next push of the green movement today's generations are handling so well.

On the negative side, as the generation that came of age during the period of greatest material growth in history, we Boomers were tremendously spoiled and as such, adopted a great sense of entitlement. I also wish we would have lived up to our environmental values vs embracing the materialism we so disdained when we were younger. What's comical to me is to hear some folks my age complain about the younger generations: "Their music is just noise." "Why do they dress so sloppily?" "They have no work ethnic." Come on on guys - Don't you remember when all that was said by the Veterans about us Boomers?

For all you Xs,Ys and Zs out there, I have no doubt you will make the world a better place than we Boomers are leaving it. I also have no doubt that you will make some mistakes and be judged by the generations that follow. And I wonder if one day many years from now, you might look at your Boomer forebears and say that we may have done a few things right, even if we got some wrong.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
For all you Xs,Ys and Zs out there, I have no doubt you will make the world a better place than we Boomers are leaving it. I also have no doubt that you will make some mistakes and be judged by the generations that follow. And I wonder if one day many years from now, you might look at your Boomer forebears and say that we may have done a few things right, even if we got some wrong.
Ya know its funny, we were just talking about this in church on Sunday...LOL

I do agree that every generation adds to the accomplishments of their predecessors. I notice that for people whose families who were in the US pre-WW2, its the generation before Boomers that is glorified the most for being the most can-do, which is understandable.

But for people like me whose parents came to the US between the 1960s-1980s--most of whom "Boomers", to their children, boomers are the generation that moved mountains as far as how much they improved the lives of their families.

Not just me, but everyone I know will tell you the same thing. We went from having nothing to living the American Dream in the span of 1 generation.

My parents worked 6 jobs between them when they first came here, and they did it cheerfully because they knew that it was for OUR benefit and with hard work, they built quite a life for themselves and provided their children with an education and the keys to a future.

Seriously, I see people many people my age and a lot of them dont even possess a modicum of what their parents had as far as drive and determination, and that saddens me..

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Generations X and Y are a media creation. They don't exist.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Generations X and Y are a media creation. They don't exist.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I have a different one. Just as people from different countries are shaped by their cultures, people from different genders, races, geographical backgrounds, etc. are shaped by theirs. Anyone who grew up with the Cold War and radio has been shaped differently from people who grew up with Columbine and instant messaging. Such different experiences impact how we see and operate in the world. The trouble comes when we fall into the trap of believing that ALL Boomers are this way and ALL Xs are that way. It's no different than believing all Americans like hamburgers and all Chinese are smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City