Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has The Biggest West Indian Influences?
Orlando 2 1.02%
Miami 60 30.46%
DC 3 1.52%
Toronto 36 18.27%
NYC 87 44.16%
Atlanta 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the biggest reason is that they simply don't think of themselves as West Indians. Nor do people in the West Indies view Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as West Indians. Though they are part of the Greater Caribbean (confusing, right?). There's overlap between the West Indies* and the Caribbean. But they aren't precisely the same.

Belizeans and Guyanese are strongly West Indian. If your national sport is cricket, and you eat roti or pepperpot, then you're West Indian. Panama is much more iffy. There's no question that many Panamanians consider themselves West Indian. But I don't think those people are representative of the country as a whole. Many Panamanians are really Jamaicans and Bajans that immigrated to Panama a few generations ago.

*Speaking about the British West Indies.
um no your west indian if your of the british west indies THATS IT. Alot of the foods your talking about have comes from various cultures that existed before the islands. Also i never knew roti was huge in Belize .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Montreal has a significant west Indian population too.
im pretty sure 1 out of every 5 west indian in montreal is haitian. Well thats what i observed when i visited my family there.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
While NYC has the largest share I would hardly say nearly all go through NYC. Are you familiar with Michael Manley's "Five Flights a Day to Miami" Line? If not look it up and see that many Jamaican's fled to Miami during that era. There are also many other West Indian communities in South Florida as well.
yea but miami ia really a haitian/jamaican city more so haitian. After haitians and jamaicans the west indian population is tiny, and im wondering if the haitian population is more then the whole west indian population combined(islands not named jamaica.)

Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
um no your west indian if your of the british west indies THATS IT. Alot of the foods your talking about have comes from various cultures that existed before the islands. Also i never knew roti was huge in Belize .
But that isn't it. Plenty of areas weren't part of British holdings, yet consider themselves West Indian.

Why not French West Indies or Dutch West Indies, for example?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's a really a tie between Miami and New York. Miami is essentially a part of the West Indies, imo. But NYC literally has representation from every single Caribbean nation.
lmao there is no tie at all. Nyc is the backyard of the west indies. Miamis west indian population is overrated and gassed. Haitians and jamaicans do not represent the whole Caribbean.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
But that isn't it. Plenty of areas weren't part of British holdings, yet consider themselves West Indian.

Why not French West Indies or Dutch West Indies, for example?
Know one said that those dont exist but usually when someone mentions the term "west indian" here in nyc they usually mean the british side. Only because Haitians are the only french Caribbean people here, and you rarely see dutch west indies in the states.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
lmao there is no tie at all. Nyc is the backyard of the west indies. Miamis west indian population is overrated and gassed. Haitians and jamaicans do not represent the whole Caribbean.
Miami has it all. Make no mistake. Miami is easily in the top 2 in North America. I don't know where every get's this notion that South Florida is only made up of Haitians and Jamaicans. NYC is home to the highest number of West Indians, but the proportions of the smaller West Indian Islands to the largest 2(Jamaica and Haiti) is the same as it is in Florida. Basically, NYC for the most part is mostly Jamaicans, and Haitians, with Trinidadians sprinkled in the mix.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Like honestly, how many more Surinamese are you gonna run into in NYC, or Toronto in comparison to Miami?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami has it all. Make no mistake. Miami is easily in the top 2 in North America. I don't know where every get's this notion that South Florida is only made up of Haitians and Jamaicans. NYC is home to the highest number of West Indians, but the proportions of the smaller West Indian Islands to the largest 2(Jamaica and Haiti) is the same as it is in Florida. Basically, NYC for the most part is mostly Jamaicans, and Haitians, with Trinidadians sprinkled in the mix.
Um no it isnt. New York city has 4 major groups of west indians. Jamaicans, guyanese, haitian, trinidadian. After those main four you have a huge load of st lucians, grenadans, bajans, and st vincentians. After that then you can say you have a small amount of various islands sprinkled in.

Not sure how anyone can use Trinidad as a sprinkled in group their diaspora in new york city is huge.

Miami on the other hand isnt close to being diverse in the west indian category as compared to new york. Most of my family lives in south florida, been there done that for the most part the west indians are Haitian and jamaican.

Even Boston has a more diverse west indian population then miami.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Like honestly, how many more Surinamese are you gonna run into in NYC, or Toronto in comparison to Miami?
Surinamese have barely no presents in the states. In new york city if you want to find surinamese people you would have to venture to Liberty Ave in Queens(aka little Indo-Guyana), a small community of them there but overall not really much. Never met one in southern florida but ill do my research on their diaspora to see what weight they hold down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City