Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Has The Biggest West Indian Influences?
Orlando 2 1.02%
Miami 60 30.46%
DC 3 1.52%
Toronto 36 18.27%
NYC 87 44.16%
Atlanta 9 4.57%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,514,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I know. I'm talking about non hispanic islands such as Jamaica, Haiti, Barbados etc. This is what people usually think of when speaking about West Indie cultures. Even the census excludes Hispanic Caribbeans. And besides from what I heard, many Dominicans have a hard time admitting that their black.

this is true, lol.........funny thing is, parts of the Dominican ALSO have huge West Indian influence (especially San Pedro de Macoris). Dom. Rep. actually has a very diverse pan-diasporic heritage. There's Afro-Dominican, Haitian, West Indian, Afro-Cuban and African-American heritage on that island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the list shouldn't be any longer than three cities.
nyc, toronto and miami. the others on that list don't come close.
True. And I'd give NYC the ever-so-slight edge.............NYC has strong Caribbean heritage from English-speaking West Indians as well as Haitians and Afro-Latinos. Toronto's Caribbean community is strongly British West Indian.....Miami has huge Bahamian influence from way back, as well as the Haitian and Afro-Latino.........

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
I just wanted to clarify, because you have no idea how many people in North America are ignorant to the fact that there are all races of people in the West Indies. My white Jamaican friends get questioned all the time.
Like this guy?

Justin Masterson Stats, News, Photos - Cleveland Indians - ESPN

Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 PM

149 posts, read 260,040 times
miami by far. the whole place is basically dominated by carribeans - hispanic types, english types and french type. i mean miami is culturally carribean, the weather is carribean and its pretty much located in the carribean. its like the us-mexico border but to the carribean. nyc, & toronto are 2nd but as far as proportion no doubt its miami-dade county.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,497,538 times
New York has the West Indian Day Parade and Toronto has Caribana....does Miami have anything which comes close?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,715,198 times
From my perspective... New York EASILY...

My in-laws are all West Indian... They say that growing up, they often referred to "AMERICA" as a whole as: "New York"

They'd say, "Yeah, I'm going to New York," but that could also mean they were catching a flight to Washington, DC, Philadelphia or Miami... I always thought that was crazy, but hey, it's just the way they thought of things... Because down there, they were SO influenced by New York. All they ever see is NY, NY, NY, NY, NY...

That's why SOOOOO MANY West Indians are Yankees fans.

My Inlaws didn't even know about places like Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, Phoenix or Memphis or anything until they moved up to New York. They knew they were "cities" from seeing them on a map while in school, but they never imagined they were real "CITIES" with their own cultures and accents and influences and such. From what they were seeing on TV, they thought it was all like NY or the rest was just country space but influenced by NY. Well, they knew of Washington DC, Los Angeles, Miami and Chicago as their own large cities ofcourse, but not so much the rest.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,673,852 times
Probably NYC. Atlanta, DC and Orlando don't come close... Miami and Toronto are the only cities that do.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,715,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Probably NYC. Atlanta, DC and Orlando don't come close... Miami and Toronto are the only cities that do.
oh contraire mon frere...

It seems that in DC, many people have West Indian backgrounds... That's what brought the forming of the Washington/Georgia Ave Carnival...
DC CARIBBEAN CARNIVAL :: JUNE 26 & 27, 2010
There is a neighborhood in DC called Trinidad, and there is a high Jamaican population around the Georgia Ave area. Also, many people in DC are transplants from NY. DC has a fast growing Caribbean/West Indian population.

I originally picked New York, but after thinking about it, I think I may guess that Miami has New York beat (but ONLY by percentage).
Seems like EVERYONE there (black) is of Haitian, Trini, Jamaican, Bajan, and Bahamian, decent...

Atlanta has a decent sized West Indian community as well, but I think that's only because a LOT of Atlantans are originally or have family originally from New York. But like you said, ATL doesn't even compare... But I would say DC (not competes with NY, but comes close in RANKS only)
List of named ethnic enclaves in North American cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From my experience, I'm going to guess the order goes:

1. New York by population, Miami by percentage
2. Miami by population
3. Toronto (I KNOW there are a LOT there also)
4. New Orleans
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. Washington DC
8. somewhere in FL. Probably Tampa
9. Trenton
10. Atlanta

Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM

149 posts, read 260,040 times
miami clearly has the largest west indian culture. i would even say miami and the whole miami dade county is west indian city.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,814,510 times
Boston or Miami, NYC has it, but it isnt prominate because there is so much of everything,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City