Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 52,035 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, My husband & I are wanting to relocate to the southwest, went to New Mexico & Arizona on vacation and fell for the area but we are having a hard time choosing where to move to.
My husband is a heavy equipment technician & I am a Esthetician so job availability is very important.
I have heard a lot of negative things about both places and just want some real honest information so we can make a informed decision.
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I currently live in New Mexico. I have lived in Arizona. They both have a lot to offer. So does Colorado. There are some parts of Texas which I like.

Our move to New Mexico was an employment issue, a promotion and other opportunities.

Unless you are independently wealthy, I would take a job which offers the best financial gain...

Rich

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
I have been to Arizona and other than the beautiful scenery, I really disliked Arizona.

New Mexico in my opinion seems a lot more interesting culturally and aesthetically. I also think New Mexico is a lot more sustainable in its growth, environment, economy, etc. I really see Arizona going downhill in the future and quite honestly I hope it does in a way, its cities are nothing but a waste of space and a waste of resources. They don't offer anything to the rest of the country culturally, economically, etc, that other cities of their size and much smaller do. I think Arizona just needs to stay how it was originally meant to be, a desert.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM

8,606 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I have been to Arizona and other than the beautiful scenery, I really disliked Arizona.

New Mexico in my opinion seems a lot more interesting culturally and aesthetically. I also think New Mexico is a lot more sustainable in its growth, environment, economy, etc. I really see Arizona going downhill in the future and quite honestly I hope it does in a way, its cities are nothing but a waste of space and a waste of resources. They don't offer anything to the rest of the country culturally, economically, etc, that other cities of their size and much smaller do. I think Arizona just needs to stay how it was originally meant to be, a desert.
I don't understand why some posters feel the need to purposely go out of the way to trash a city or state. Why don't you offer something of significance instead of complaining about AZ being a waste of space when your response is nothing more than a waste of space itself.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackiesgirl View Post
Hi everyone, My husband & I are wanting to relocate to the southwest, went to New Mexico & Arizona on vacation and fell for the area but we are having a hard time choosing where to move to.
My husband is a heavy equipment technician & I am a Esthetician so job availability is very important.
I have heard a lot of negative things about both places and just want some real honest information so we can make a informed decision.
Thanks for any help!
You would be better off going to the Arizona and New Mexico threads to find better answers (both positives and negatives) from people who actually live in both states rather than finding it here from some posters who haven't spent any significant time in either state but love to flame about them.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You would be better off going to the Arizona and New Mexico threads to find better answers (both positives and negatives) from people who actually live in both states rather than finding it here from some posters who haven't spent any significant time in either state but love to flame about them.
Yes you would, I suggest you post in the Arizona section because I promise you will get a lot of flack regarding Arizona.

Honestly that's how I feel about Arizona and it's my opinion. I could care less if someone really disliked Chicago or the Midwest, but this person is asking for opinions therefore I am giving it.

Arizona is a beautiful state, but with its backwards laws, lack of culture, environmental degradation and lackluster cities, I think New Mexico is much more interesting and a better bang for your buck.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Yes you would, I suggest you post in the Arizona section because I promise you will get a lot of flack regarding Arizona.

Honestly that's how I feel about Arizona and it's my opinion. I could care less if someone really disliked Chicago or the Midwest, but this person is asking for opinions therefore I am giving it.

Arizona is a beautiful state, but with its backwards laws, lack of culture, environmental degradation and lackluster cities, I think New Mexico is much more interesting and a better bang for your buck.
You didn't offer anything of substance. What you did is overgeneralize. How is that really helping the OP?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You would be better off going to the Arizona and New Mexico threads to find better answers (both positives and negatives) ...
This thread started in the New Mexico forum and I moved it to this forum which is where the VS type threads go. But it still appears in the New Mexico thread...

Posting the same post in two separate forums is not allowed here. So I would suggest any posts be different, and aimed at the specific forum...

Rich

Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
I dislike New Mexico but would pick it over Tucson or Phoenix at this point..... though it's hard to say. I think NM in general is very racist & certainly too fanatically liberal for my tastes. Everyone has such an attitude about everything!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 AM

148 posts, read 279,700 times
lemon&lime, I have read other posts of yours and come to the conclusion that New Mexico is not your cup of tea. I am curious if you really don't believe "people are people" no matter where they are? The only thing I have noticed is that people are more anonymous, rushed, and sometimes ruder in big cities compared to smaller ones...not that people are so "friendly" in small cities, as I noticed that they could be more clickish in the more rural areas as a substitution!~

I just want your take on ABQ versus other metro areas. Is ABQ really that dreadful??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City