Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times

Advertisements

I have been to Chicago numerous times and even though it has a midwest vibe, I sometimes feel that it is out of place. I was just on another thread and I mentioned that I wish I could move it to the BosWash corridor. Where would you relocate Chicago if you could move it to either coast? I think I would move it to Maine an hour away from Boston or 1.5 hours south of DC on the Atlantic coast. It definitely has to be near the ocean to keep that lakefront appeal. On the west coast, I would move it 2 hours north of LA on the Pacific. If Chicago was on the east or west coast, it would have a population of 5 million people easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have been to Chicago numerous times and even though it has a midwest vibe, I sometimes feel that it is out of place. I was just on another thread and I mentioned that I wish I could move it to the BosWash corridor. Where would you relocate Chicago if you could move it to either coast? I think I would move it to Maine an hour away from Boston or 1.5 hours south of DC on the Atlantic coast. It definitely has to be near the ocean to keep that lakefront appeal. On the west coast, I would move it 2 hours north of LA on the Pacific. If Chicago was on the east or west coast, it would have a population of 5 million people easily.
If Chicago was about where Portland, ME is now, for me, that would be a little slice of heaven; I would save a fortune on plane fares, and I would probably move there...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
To Laguna Beach CA. It would be nice to have both the city life and the natural coastal beauty all in one. Of course, that big of a city would F' up the natural beauty part but it's a nice thought.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Can you imagine Chicago being where Myrtle Beach is. It would be like Rio on the Atlantic. Plus it would balance out the (NE) dominance a tad bit. Who do we need to talk to to make it happen??

Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Chicago and Portland, ME have similar weather; it belongs on the northern Atlantic ( just like Lake Michigan)...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Somewhere between SF and LA... just under San Jose.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
Right on top of LA.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Right next to New York (maybe replacing Boston or Philly) so they could duel it out even more than they do now. Even though this is fantasy, this would never work because Philly and Boston are what they are today because they are where they are. If Chicago had started in either spot, it'd be the same result as Philly or Boston.

On a similar note, why the hell is Cairo, IL not a more important city? It's sitting at the confluence of (essentially) the Mississippi, Ohio and Missouri Rivers in a relatively temperate climate smack in the middle of the country. If we are going to move ANYTHING, move the U.S. Capital there so it's more centralized and more difficult to invade.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Right next to New York (maybe replacing Boston or Philly) so they could duel it out even more than they do now. Even though this is fantasy, this would never work because Philly and Boston are what they are today because they are where they are. If Chicago had started in either spot, it'd be the same result as Philly or Boston.

On a similar note, why the hell is Cairo, IL not a more important city? It's sitting at the confluence of (essentially) the Mississippi, Ohio and Missouri Rivers in a relatively temperate climate smack in the middle of the country. If we are going to move ANYTHING, move the U.S. Capital there so it's more centralized and more difficult to invade.
I could see the Capitol being moved to Chicago, or even Denver, because of the mountains, at some point in the distant future. If DC was ever infiltrated.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,944 times
Boulder and Boise are cool. San Diego is also cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City