Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Colder? Yes. Hotter? Um, hell no. The average summer highs in the Sunbelt are well into the 90s with the heat index exceeding 100. Summers in the upper Midwest are very mild and darn near cool on some days. According to weatherundergound.com, Minneapolis only reached 95 degrees three times within the past three years.

But the more I was researching the weather data, I decided that some of the upper Midwest cities do deserve the title as having the more drastic changes in weather (a greater number between the highs and the lows). But to say that Dallas doesn't deserve recognition is completely false. It is an extreme weather city. Period.

And I don't remember hearing anyone saying anything about any "horror stories" or claiming that 50 degrees was cold, thank you .
That MAY be true (sounds like a stretch, but I'll believe it), but the year before that there were like 28 days above 90 and at least 10 above 95 in ONE YEAR, so it truly depends on what data you are looking at. Although I agree, it doesn't necessarily get HOTTER here than the sunbelt, but it can get just as hot AND it gets much colder in the winter. On average, like knke0204 said, it's generally pretty warm but pleasant most of the summer. Here at least, it is NEVER cold in the summertime (unless MAYBE it's raining and 68 degrees.

By "horror stories", I mean comments like this: "But to say that Dallas doesn't deserve recognition is completely false. It is an extreme weather city. Period." Not only is that an exaggeration, it's completely the opposite of why people move to Texas or Dallas -- because the weather is "so nice". You're right, it can vary a LOT, and they're right, it's pretty nice overall and that's a big reason why the city is growing so fast. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:39 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
Treated.

But yeah.. northern plains and rockies wins.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
In Minneapolis there was a day in March of 2000 where we had all 4 seasons in 24 hours. In the morning it was a little bit above freezing. The sun came out and it was in the mid 70s by late afternoon. I went to the beach in shorts. Then we had huge thunderstorms roll through, the temperature dropped and it was snowing like crazy by midnight.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Colder? Yes. Hotter? Um, hell no. The average summer highs in the Sunbelt are well into the 90s with the heat index exceeding 100. Summers in the upper Midwest are very mild and darn near cool on some days. According to weatherundergound.com, Minneapolis only reached 95 degrees three times within the past three years.

But the more I was researching the weather data, I decided that some of the upper Midwest cities do deserve the title as having the more drastic changes in weather (a greater number between the highs and the lows). But to say that Dallas doesn't deserve recognition is completely false. It is an extreme weather city. Period.

And I don't remember hearing anyone saying anything about any "horror stories" or claiming that 50 degrees was cold, thank you .
Who said anything about the Upper Midwest? I was talking about the northern Great Plains - North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, western Iowa and far western Minnesota. Highs here can reach 110 degrees in the summer, but they are, on average, in the low 80s. The summers aren't as brutal as they are in the South, but some days can get hotter.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
I have a question for minneapolitans. Does Minn get Hot like Denver does in the Summer? just wondering. lol

Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Minneapolis' record high: 108 degrees
Denver's record high: 105 degrees

Minneapolis' warmest month (average): July, 83.3 degrees
Denver's warmest month (average): July, 88.0 degrees

Minneapolis' record low: -41 degrees
Denver's record low: -29 degrees

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Climate of the Twin Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't cross-referenced that data with NOAA.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
^Those averages are different now for the 1980-2010 data.....Minneapolis warmest month is July at 86 degrees on average. I imagine Denver may be higher as well. Those are the two biggest metros with the most extremes, I think.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^Those averages are different now for the 1980-2010 data.....Minneapolis warmest month is July at 86 degrees on average. I imagine Denver may be higher as well. Those are the two biggest metros with the most extremes, I think.
I could see that. I always felt it seemed a bit warmer than 83 in the summer.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Minneapolis' record high: 108 degrees
Denver's record high: 105 degrees

Minneapolis' warmest month (average): July, 83.3 degrees
Denver's warmest month (average): July, 88.0 degrees

Minneapolis' record low: -41 degrees
Denver's record low: -29 degrees

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Climate of the Twin Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't cross-referenced that data with NOAA.
Thank you!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Does dallas get to sub zero temps with inches and inches of snow?
Weren't you watching the news during the Super Bowl? Many parts of DFW got below 0 with the wind chill and there was snow. Actual subzero temps with heavy snow has happened but is very rare. That's why I said the most extreme weather title goes to some of the upper Midwest cities. I'm basically saying you were right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City