Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle smaller version of
LA 5 7.04%
SF 53 74.65%
Mix 13 18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Comical post. Seattle is not a poor man's SF, it has its own identity, it's own character, it's own setting. Anybody who lives here or spends any time here knows it's got far, far more than just coffee.
I'll vouch for that. Seattle is my DH's hometown and I love to visit there. There are so many great little neighborhoods teeming with activity: West Seattle, Capitol Hill, Madison Park, Belltown, Queen Anne Hill, Ballard, and so on.
It's appealing enough to us that we plan to buy a summer place there upon his retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,881,626 times
Seattle is NO WAY in LA's shadow. Whenever I mention LA to a San Franciscan or to someone in Seattle, they react very negatively; in multiple cases they've called LA a sewer, a third world dump, a ghetto, a wasteland, etc. In the Northwest (and even in the Bay Area) LA is treated as if it were in some part of Mexico or South America. This hostility is probably connected to some deep-rooted racism due to LA's high Mexican-American population... but that's a discussion for another forum.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is NO WAY in LA's shadow. Whenever I mention LA to a San Franciscan or to someone in Seattle, they react very negatively; in multiple cases they've called LA a sewer, a third world dump, a ghetto, a wasteland, etc. In the Northwest (and even in the Bay Area) LA is treated as if it were in some part of Mexico or South America. This hostility is probably connected to some deep-rooted racism due to LA's high Mexican-American population... but that's a discussion for another forum.
You would also see the same reaction in almost every region in the country except miami. There are people even in Socal that see LA that way.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Neither. Seattle is Seattle.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM

17 posts, read 36,671 times
No Its Neither Seattle is Seattle. It's A great City It Just Doesn't have that WOW Factor Like NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Miami. I'm Not hating that's just what I've Noticed when I Visited.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I don't know how people can say that SF and Seattle are not alike.

They are very much alike. Asians, tech, geography, monied, cool weather, stuffy people.

Before SF(NorCal) boomed it had a mostly white-mid-western populace(except for Chinatown it's always been there). It got more stuffy and changed because of it's transplants (alot from the Northeast) similar to Seattle.

As much as I love Seattle I like SF better. In every category SF tops Seattle good and bad. SF has worse traffic but better weather. SF has better beaches but a higher COL. I could go on a on.

SF is more vibrant, sunny, gritty, beautiful, friendlier in my opinion, faster paced and bigger hills.
I may be responding to someone who is no longer on City Data, but -

What do you mean before SF boomed it had a mostly white mid-western populace? Are you talking in the 1800s and early 1900s? The Bay Area has long been diverse and continues to be. It is a huge melting pot of White, Hispanic, Asian, African, and many other races and ethnicities.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times
Seattle is more like a mix of a mini-NYC and a mini-London, but for the purpose of this poll it is more like SF than LA.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Seattle is more like a mix of a mini-NYC and a mini-London, but for the purpose of this poll it is more like SF than LA.
Lmao, are you serious?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
I absolutely LOVE the areas along Lake Washington, uber classy.

I could totally see myself living there, and that never happens...

Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 AM

32 posts, read 102,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Seattle has no identity outside of coffee. Its west coast like LA and SF, has tech like SF, demographically tries to rival SF and lives in the shadows of SF and LA. Seattle is a poor mans SF, lacking identity and character IMO
You're kidding?
I don't know a city with more identity other than Chicago and NY probably.

Space Needle
Green Friendly -
Public Market-
Awesome Pho-
Spruce and Cedar trees
Sea to Ski
Jimmy Hendrix-
Nirvana-
Asia's jumping off point-
Boeing-
Starbucks-
Microsoft-
Birth Of Grunge-
Rain-
Bigfoot-
Fresh Salmon-

To name some of things Seattle'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City