U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.85%
Boston 93 18.49%
Philadelphia 98 19.48%
Confused 21 4.17%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: The City
22,228 posts, read 31,547,007 times
Reputation: 7651

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Because the Bay Area is now closer to the largest economical expansion on the face of the Earth, and that is Asia. The Pacific Rim to be exact.

My claims aren't any less of what I mean, and the Bay Area takes complete advantage of it's location. The Port of Oakland is one of the Top 5 busiest ports in the country (and increasingly getting far busier) by container traffic and 8th by total tonnage. The Port of Oakland is gaining and looking to surpass a lot of competitors in the future, along with logistically being centered around air trade with them. I think they win on location, but hey that's just me on it.

Boston & Philadelphia's ports in contrast while important (most definitely) cant say for the same. They're trading and importing/exporting with a part of the world that isn't keeping pace with the Pacific or Gulf.

for shipping trade yes, flight times actually are not much different; its not like either are close. Europe (especially London and Paris) is almost as close to the North East cities as SF to the North East cities by flying time

15 hours vs 14 hours on direct flight time to Hong Kong - the NE cities now take advantage of flying over the North pole to make the shortest distance route; there is even direct service being added from Philly to Hong Kong but most go out of NYC currently


also you change your ending to import - there are hardly any exports to Asia


I believe out biggest export to asia is grain and soy which traces a lot back through Chicago and is shipped via NOLA/LA/Houston and oddly enough the Port of Philadelphia which is still a very large grain exporter even today much of which still traces back to the connection to the Pennsylvania and reading railroad terminus

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-06-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,525,450 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
for shipping trade yes, flight times actually are not much different; its not like either are close. Europe is almost as close to the North East cities as SF is by flying time
But the thing is that location is in Bay Area's favor though. China is our largest trading partner, because of them and because of the other largest trading partners we have the ports on the West Coast & Gulf are successful. That is where a lot of economic activity is being centered in todays time, its in our history books, its in what we purchase, and its evident when most things we buy is "made in China" and imported from there.

Honestly, its just beyond taking away from that if someone were to say Portugal can match China as a trade partner. That isn't anywhere close to the same caliber at all, in my opinion. Our largest trading partners from Europe are Germany, Italy, Russia, & United Kingdom and they've all been decreasing on their exports here for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Long Beach
2,350 posts, read 2,393,581 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Dead wrong.


I will give you that racism exists in basically every city in America. However, compared to the rest of the NE, Boston has a less-than-stellar race relations history.
Still can't cite an example tho can you?

I mean the 1974 Busing Incident...paaalease! That's all you got. And I'll just give it to you, cuz I feel sorry you don't know how to debate.

The reason the Civil War took place was because of the Abolitionist Movement that began in Boston, so it's safe to say that while New Englanders are stoic individuals; intolerant and racist probably doesn't describe them very well.

I'm sure we can scrath the surface on Philly and SF and find horrific stories of African American (and other minorities) being mistreated.

Btw, which state legalized same sex marriage first....? Yeah, wasn't PA or CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: The City
22,228 posts, read 31,547,007 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Boston, a hell hole???? WTF?

One, the Quakers and William Penn contributed nothing new that Roger Williams hadn't done two generations earlier in Rhode Island. So lets not play this self-sanctifying game.

Yes the Puritans were all those things you mentioned, but they also gave the world Public Education, the town meeting-self rule/government, little things like that. And after 1692, the Puritains as a religious group lost all their power with the Crown and had essentially reformed to be Congregationalists. The Crown wasn't too happy about the whole Witch Trials fiasco, so the Colony was re-tooled, a new charter was granted, and the New World's oldest-still intact governing body was codified.

Boston at the time of the Revolution was the weathiest city in the British Empire not located in Great Britain, and one of the largest. It's port was the thrid busiest after London and Bristol. Its ships sailed to Europe and down to the Caribbean bringing rum, slaves, cotton, other raw goods into the colonies on a near daily basis. Boston's merchants were the richest and I cite John Hancock as my example. New England was America, was its economic and cultural head-up to and including at least the Guilded Age.

When those rabblerousers stirred up trouble, the full might of the British Empire fell onto Massachusetts Bay Colony. It was at the moment the other colonies, including Pennsylvania, realized, "S**t, that could happen here!"

It's kinda hard for Philly to be America's birthplace when it was conceived, birthed and cradled in the streets of Boston and New England. The second highlighted part were ideas pretty much added by John Adams, as was most of the words in the Dec. of Independence. Also the Massachusetts Constitution served as the model for the 1788 Federal one. I venture to guess, that literally no Philadelphians (save Franklin-of course a native Bostonian) contributed much of anything to the two documents written there.

I mean you did take 11th grade US History, right?

There is really no way one to argue with you personally (you accept no other rationale) that Boston is not most important in this regard nor would it be to diminish the influence of Philadelphia in this this regard. The seminal events took place in Phildelphia even if many qualifiers where being performed in Boston. I agree Boston is not a hell hole by any means but there is no substantiation to say Boston was more important or maybe better said singularly important with regard to Philly in this historical regard. That would be the same logic as Philly saying it is responsible everything related to computers as the first was developed, built and operated in Phildelphia. It played a role but there were more important aspects that were related to it.

Or hell we invented electricity so everything that runs on a plug comes from here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
 
2,420 posts, read 3,919,807 times
Reputation: 1258
Bottom line,Philly has way more firsts than Boston, an I don't feel like listing them all because there are so many, and it's also very well known that the Quaker's were the pioneers of the aboltionist movement. The first abolition protest took place in Germantown, PA. Philly was the first city in the "land of freedom" for many years, which is why to this very day it has one of the most substancial and historically rooted balck popultaions in the US.

You claim that Boston is the birthplace of the US, then why is Philly recognized as the birthplace of the US? Lets put the history to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,710 posts, read 7,573,421 times
Reputation: 9030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
It wasn't well-known that he was a vehement racist until after he was impeached.


And I wouldn't be judging the Quakers by the actions of "a few" if the racism wasn't as widespread as it is. Nixon and Barr definitely aren't alone.
You seem to have a lot invested in impugning the character of a pretty noble and accomplished group of people. What happened - did a Quaker beat you up on the playground when you were 12?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: The City
22,228 posts, read 31,547,007 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
But the thing is that location is in Bay Area's favor though. China is our largest trading partner, because of them and because of the other largest trading partners we have the ports on the West Coast & Gulf are successful. That is where a lot of economic activity is being centered in todays time, its in our history books, its in what we purchase, and its evident when most things we buy is "made in China" and imported from there.

Honestly, its just beyond taking away from that if someone were to say Portugal can match China as a trade partner. That isn't anywhere close to the same caliber at all, in my opinion. Our largest trading partners from Europe are Germany, Italy, Russia, & United Kingdom and they've all been decreasing on their exports here for years.

Well on shipping you do realize the Port of Phildelphia (it is broken out on lists as 9 different ports because it traverses many municipalities and 3 states) is larger than the Ports of the Bay and Boston Combined? Including goods to and from Asia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,166,368 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Still can't cite an example tho can you?

I mean the 1974 Busing Incident...paaalease! That's all you got. And I'll just give it to you, cuz I feel sorry you don't know how to debate.

The reason the Civil War took place was because of the Abolitionist Movement that began in Boston, so it's safe to say that while New Englanders are stoic individuals; intolerant and racist probably doesn't describe them very well.

I'm sure we can scrath the surface on Philly and SF and find horrific stories of African American (and other minorities) being mistreated.


Btw, which state legalized same sex marriage first....? Yeah, wasn't PA or CA.


Refer back to where I said that San Francisco is also racist towards blacks.


And you can act like the event you brought up is the only one... lets not act like Boston sports weren't segregated until the early 90's.


And if you want recent, let's talk about Henry Louis Gates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,166,368 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You seem to have a lot invested in impugning the character of a pretty noble and accomplished group of people. What happened - did a Quaker beat you up on the playground when you were 12?


Noble and accomplished now or 100 years ago? I don't get why you're invested in defending a group which at this point has a lot of connections to white supremacists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
 
26 posts, read 32,810 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Dead wrong.


I will give you that racism exists in basically every city in America. However, compared to the rest of the NE, Boston has a less-than-stellar race relations history.
Operative word is HISTORY....and on that point I agree. History and Present Day are two different things though, just that some people have difficulty comprehending that.

And to my point about every city having some form of racism, I have lived in 3 different continents and every city I have lived in has some form of racism still present to this day. Are there varying degrees? Of course, but to deny its existence is ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top