U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.85%
Boston 93 18.49%
Philadelphia 98 19.48%
Confused 21 4.17%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,156,060 times
Reputation: 3050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Ah, racism is about blacks - not Japanese. OK. Dude (I'm assuming you're a dude), if a group fights for equality other oppresed groups (including gays 25 years ago!), it just doesn't make sense that they would collectively chose to be raicst against blacks. By the way, I note you ignore my statements on civil rights work in the 60s. Here's a link to give you some more insight into the work of Quakers with the black community: AFSC in Civil Rights
I never said racism was only about blacks, I said that many factions of the Quakers were notably anti-black. And What kind of idiotic point is that? Now we're going to pretend that asians weren't more readily integrated into the mainstream long before blacks were? Or that many black civil rights leaders didn't see the gay rights movement in a positive light at the time?



Quote:
It's called irony. Seems even more fair to call a state whose majority of folks voted down gay marriage homophobic than to call a Nobel Prize winning group racist because of a few bad folks who chose to call themselves Quaker.
Unlike the rest of the country, most people here in California are aware that outside of the big cities it isn't too much more accepting than the rest of the country, especially with a large contigent of the population being Roman Catholic. The decision came as a big surprise to no one.

Quaker anti-black racism, on the other hand, directly contradicts the mission statement of the organization. I didn't say the entire organization is racist, I said that there are plenty of racist segments of it.

Quote:
No, just your extrapolation.

Keep telling yourself that there are no racist Quakers. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Long Beach
2,350 posts, read 2,392,283 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I said that.

We didn't invent electricity, but were the first to harness it.The most influential manipulation of nature since man learned to create and harness fire.
Oh sweet Jesus!

Cut the ego trip. It's unbecoming and pretty immature.

Next you're gonna tell me when Jesus returns it'll be to Rittenhouse Square and Philadelphia will be the New Jerusalem...? Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
 
Location: The City
22,222 posts, read 31,520,768 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
'Yeah, well God Himself chose Boston as a model society, so there' .

What would you have me say, other than if you look at the post where I wrote Philadelphians come on the forum and to sum up what they post, as a giant "NAH-UH, because I said so." This would specifically be your attitude. "We invented electricity..." That's you're statement! I'm pretty sure electricity is a natural occurence derived from an inbalance of neutrons and protons, or something silly like that which is then harnassed through a conductive material, be it copper, water, or one's ego.

Might as well write, I invented air! Why not?

In your intial post you call Boston, a "backwater, Puritanical hell-hole." And now it's not, according to you...well which is it?

You are an American and not a subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II not simply because some guys in wigs said, "hey we're independent now deal with it George" but more so because some New Englanders set out with the idea of self-government, capitalism, and a little in your face ingenuity. Wealth, power and prestige helped too.
On the first highlighted I assume the statement in context would be interpreted by most as a sarcastic statement and elusion to silliness

On the later, I think you mis-spoke; that was not me

On susbstantiation of Phildelphia as the cradle of liberty; which is a nickname of Phildelphia

Liberty was declared and executed, a government established, and the most important (arguably) document in the world and the foundation of our governance and law was written and mostly ratified. The TWO MOST important events in US history took place in Philadelphia no matter what culmination of events led to them. I agree with you that Boston is significantly important to who we are as a nation today but to discount these two events is beyond silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,767 posts, read 54,120,859 times
Reputation: 14709
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico
SF pop is 31% asian, 20% of SF pop is specifically Chinese. 35% of SF population was not even born in the U.S.
SF is simply a different animal than Philly or Boston, significantly more diverse and international city, w/ all the good and bad things that come with that.
Does that really need an answer?

Yeah, basically this^.

And grapico, all the info below is not necessarily intended for you(cause I know you already know(LOL)) but for those who arent aware...

The Bay Area is a very different place racially from Boston and Philadelphia:

Non Hispanic White Population, 2009
Boston..............6,051,362...79.5%
Philadelphia.......4,382,955...67.0%
San Francisco....3,342,715...44.9%

Black Population, 2009
Philadelphia.......1,235,794...18.9%
San Francisco........462,938...6.2%
Boston..................403,511...5.2%

Hispanic Population, 2009
San Francisco......1,714,921...23.0%
Boston....................631,337...8.2%
Philadelphia.............526,449...8.0%

Asian Population, 2009
San Francisco.......1,600,122...21.5%
Boston.....................358,084...4.7%
Philadelphia..............273,565...4.1%

Also, our diversity is not limited to the city and inner urban areas, most of the region's suburban counties(inlcuding most of the wealthiest counties) also have NO RACIAL MAJORITY.

So its not uncommon in Northern California to drive through huge swaths of suburbia dominated by minorities, many of whom are affluent and very highly educated as well.

In 2000, 48% of the Bay Area was either foreign born or the US born child of an immigrant.( like me) By now its probably a bit over 50%.

Collectively this group is called "Immigrant Stock", the Bay Area's proportion of Immigrant stock is only surpassed by Miami and Los Angeles. New York is 4th and after Miami, LA, SF and NY--everywhere else is a ways back.

Immigrant Stock, 2000
Miami-Ft Lauderdale 62%
Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County 52%
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose 48%
New York-N. New Jersey-Long Island 41%

According to fairus.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:51 PM
 
2,420 posts, read 3,917,183 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Oh sweet Jesus!

Cut the ego trip. It's unbecoming and pretty immature.

Next you're gonna tell me when Jesus returns it'll be to Rittenhouse Square and Philadelphia will be the New Jerusalem...? Right?
Anything's possible, and Philly will most definitley be considered holy land sometime in the future considering it's my city of birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,156,060 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Anything's possible, and Philly will most definitley be considered holy land sometime in the future considering it's my city of birth.

LOL now that was actually funny. All hail the new messiah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: The City
22,222 posts, read 31,520,768 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Oh sweet Jesus!

Cut the ego trip. It's unbecoming and pretty immature.

Next you're gonna tell me when Jesus returns it'll be to Rittenhouse Square and Philadelphia will be the New Jerusalem...? Right?

There is an individual in the square that often states he is; I am on the fence at this point but (my neighborhod) Rittenhouse would be as good as just about any place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: The City
22,222 posts, read 31,520,768 times
Reputation: 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, basically this^.

And grapico, all the info below is not necessarily intended for you(cause I know you already know(LOL)) but for those who arent aware...

The Bay Area is a very different place racially from Boston and Philadelphia:

Non Hispanic White Population, 2009
Boston..............6,051,362...79.5%
Philadelphia.......4,382,955...67.0%
San Francisco....3,342,715...44.9%

Black Population, 2009
Philadelphia.......1,235,794...18.9%
San Francisco........462,938...6.2%
Boston..................403,511...5.2%

Hispanic Population, 2009
San Francisco......1,714,921...23.0%
Boston....................631,337...8.2%
Philadelphia.............526,449...8.0%

Asian Population, 2009
San Francisco.......1,600,122...21.5%
Boston.....................358,084...4.7%
Philadelphia..............273,565...4.1%

Also, our diversity is not limited to the city and inner urban areas, most of the region's suburban counties(inlcuding most of the wealthiest counties) also have NO RACIAL MAJORITY.

So its not uncommon in Northern California to drive through huge swaths of suburbia dominated by minorities, many of whom are affluent and very highly educated as well.

In 2000, 48% of the Bay Area was either foreign born or the US born child of an immigrant.( like me) By now its probably a bit over 50%.

Collectively this group is called "Immigrant Stock", the Bay Area's proportion of Immigrant stock is only surpassed by Miami and Los Angeles. New York is 4th and after Miami, LA, SF and NY--everywhere else is a ways back.

Immigrant Stock, 2000
Miami-Ft Lauderdale 62%
Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County 52%
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose 48%
New York-N. New Jersey-Long Island 41%

According to fairus.org

Interesting but a couple of points; Both Boston and Philly would have made the same claim one generation ago; a lot is movement and inflow of immigrants and where they are moving from at any given point in time; next generation I would suggest is highly likely the % of immigrants or born to an immgrant will not be the case in SF; BTW I am ALSO a child of immigrants myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Long Beach
2,350 posts, read 2,392,283 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On the first highlighted I assume the statement in context would be interpreted by most as a sarcastic statement and elusion to silliness

On the later, I think you mis-spoke; that was not me

On susbstantiation of Phildelphia as the cradle of liberty; whish is a nickname of Phildelphia

Liberty was declared and executed, a government established, and the most important (arguably) document in the world and the foundation of our governance and law was written and mostly ratified. The TWO MOST important events in US history took place in Philadelphia no matter what culmination of events led to them. I agree with you that Boston is significantly important to who we are as a nation today but to discount these two events is beyond silly.
Well it just goes to show you and the other one sound exactly the same. My apologies.

One of Boston's official nickname, btw is "the Cradle of Liberty." I'm not sure why you assume Philly's is that. But we know Philadelphians don't actually care.

Yes the Dec of Indep and Constitution were written there, no one can dispute that obviously. But frankly the ideas expoused in both aren't Phildelphian, they are New England/Bostonian. Those ideas were put forth by Bostonian John Adams-who bascially created the system of government replicated in the 1788 document and over again in 49 states. Massachusetts Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia James Madison basically lifted this text and added "we the people..." And whose idea it was to have a declaration of idependence, which at the time was already widely assumed among most colonies anyway. Several colonies had previously declared their own sovereignty in the months prior to July, Rhode Island was the first, for example.

Phildelphia's role a ths time was by chance, Boston's was by its own virtue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
 
2,420 posts, read 3,917,183 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Well it just goes to show you and the other one sound exactly the same. My apologies.

One of Boston's official nickname, btw is "the Cradle of Liberty." I'm not sure why you assume Philly's is that. But we know Philadelphians don't actually care.

Yes the Dec of Indep and Constitution were written there, no one can dispute that obviously. But frankly the ideas expoused in both aren't Phildelphian, they are New England/Bostonian. Those ideas were put forth by Bostonian John Adams-who bascially created the system of government replicated in the 1788 document and over again in 49 states. Massachusetts Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia James Madison basically lifted this text and added "we the people..." And whose idea it was to have a declaration of idependence, which at the time was already widely assumed among most colonies anyway. Several colonies had previously declared their own sovereignty in the months prior to July, Rhode Island was the first, for example.

Phildelphia's role a ths time was by chance, Boston's was by its own virtue.
Your still on this history stuff? Philly wins. let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top