U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 162 54.92%
Boston 54 18.31%
Philadelphia 66 22.37%
Confused 13 4.41%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,477,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That may be, but I was respoding to the "East coast being like Europe" part.....
It may not look like europe, but is european in its development.

Dense, compact cities. distinct dialects, cultures and traditions every 50 miles or so.

For certain it's more european than the west coast and middle of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,344,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

Dense, compact cities. distinct dialects, cultures and traditions every 50 miles or so.

Whats so good about europe? F**k europe.

5,468 posts, read 3,871,849 times
Quote:

hmm.....ok then.

6,920 posts, read 6,909,025 times
Quote:

Is that really a complement though? If the appeal of living on the east coast is "its like Europe" then why not move to Europe?

People like California because it offers something you can't get anywhere else. The combination of the weather, the diversity, the laid-back lifestyle, the amenities and the absolutely stunning natural setting make it one of a kind.

I'm not taking away from the rest of the country either... however, you truly don't get California anywhere else. In the east coast, the truly unique aspects are in the cities... the states blend in for the most part.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,344,154 times
Quote:

Didn't you just claim that Boston is the beating heart of America, the last thing it should want to do is kiss europe's a$$.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:05 AM

19,357 posts, read 16,714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Is that really a complement though? If the appeal of living on the east coast is "its like Europe" then why not move to Europe?

People like California because it offers something you can't get anywhere else. The combination of the weather, the diversity, the laid-back lifestyle, the amenities and the absolutely stunning natural setting make it one of a kind.

I'm not taking away from the rest of the country either... however, you truly don't get California anywhere else. In the east coast, the truly unique aspects are in the cities... the states blend in for the most part.

Actually I would take Italy; natural beauty like CA and dense and cultural cities, plus the wines are pretty good to

I love CA and it's beauty (wine too), but you are sleeping on the many beautiful aspects of the Northeast. And you are right no other area of the country can match the cities in the Northeast, not even CA

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually I would take Italy; natural beauty like CA and dense and cultural cities, plus the wines are pretty good to

I love CA and it's beauty (wine too), but you are sleeping on the many beautiful aspects of the Northeast. And you are right no other area of the country can match the cities in the Northeast, not even CA

I've heard CA compared to Italy before. It still isn't particularly diverse though... Italians are 93% of the country. While there is a lot of cultural diversity within the Italian population, at the end of the day the country's 95% white.

The natural scenery in Italy is also truly stunning though. The language is beautiful too.

I do agree that for the most part NE cities tend to be better. However, San Francisco and Los Angeles are truly two of the greatest cities in the country. Portland, Seattle, Oakland and San Diego are also great in their own right. And while the North East's best cities are truly amazing, there is a huge gap between the "great" cities and the rest of the North East. I would honestly take the average CA suburb/small city over a NE small city any day... not as segregated and you usually get more yard space anyway. There's no denying the greatness of the NE's big cities though.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 AM

19,357 posts, read 16,714,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I've heard CA compared to Italy before. It still isn't particularly diverse though... Italians are 93% of the country. While there is a lot of cultural diversity within the Italian population, at the end of the day the country's 95% white.

The natural scenery in Italy is also truly stunning though. The language is beautiful too.

I do agree that for the most part NE cities tend to be better. However, San Francisco and Los Angeles are truly two of the greatest cities in the country. Portland, Seattle, Oakland and San Diego are also great in their own right. And while the North East's best cities are truly amazing, there is a huge gap between the "great" cities and the rest of the North East. I would honestly take the average CA suburb/small city over a NE small city any day... not as segregated and you usually get more yard space anyway. There's no denying the greatness of the NE's big cities though.
I also think you are sleeping on the small towns and especially suburbs in the NE - though CA has some awesome ones too.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I also think you are sleeping on the small towns and especially suburbs in the NE - though CA has some awesome ones too.

When I go out to the east coast I spend most of my time in the outer ring suburbs of larger cities. When I was in DC I spent most of my time in Centreville VA... trust me, there was nothing that made me want to stick around there lol. It felt like being in NW Indiana, which is NOT a good thing no matter which way you cut it. What a lot of people don't realize about the Bay Area is that pretty much every single suburb has the typical attractions (movie theatres et al) that tend to attract people from the suburbs to spend time in the big cities. You don't have to leave your area to do that in the bay. You also don't have to leave your town for world class ethnic food, unique boutiques and other things that tend to be more characteristic of the big city than the suburb.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,834,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Didn't you just claim that Boston is the beating heart of America, the last thing it should want to do is kiss europe's a$$.
"The spirit of Massachusetts is the spirit of America..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City