U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 286 58.37%
Boston 90 18.37%
Philadelphia 93 18.98%
Confused 21 4.29%
Voters: 490. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM

766 posts, read 1,577,431 times

Advertisements

All three of these metros are great. However, I will admit that San Francisco and Boston are much more white collar than Philadelphia. Hence, they will outrank Philly in many rankings. However, if you include the intangibles, then all three are really neck and neck and battle it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,233,213 times
i'm obviously partial to philadelphia but i agree with anyone who says this is a tight race. I've yet to see san francisco but from all i've heard it's the type of city i love.

and boston is one of the few other cities i could see myself living besides Philadelphia. has a very similar feel to it in my mind.

all three cities obviously are loaded with culture

all three cities obviously are extremely dense urban areas

and all three cities are obviously of extreme economical importance not just to their region but in terms of the global economy... although i admit currently Philadelphia doesn't really compete in many economical respects to boston and san fran currently as both of these cities are truly among the world wide economic powers... and philadelphia... while closer to this status than a lot of people think, i will admit is not.

so i can definitely see why people would pick boston or san fran.

I of course will make a case for philly though

Economic

1. Boston 2. San Fran 3. Philly

Size

1. Philly 2. San Fran 3. Boston

History

1. Philly 2. Boston 3. San Fran

Culture (fun things to do, museums, etc)

1. Philly 2. San Fran 3. Boston ( i know this one will be contentious, but hey i admit i'm biased)

Higher education

1.Boston 2. Philly 3. San Fran ( i really wanted to put philly first but i'll concede)

identity (people from all over can think of things that are unique to this city)

honestly three way tie.

downtown walkability

another three way tie

so there's how i figure Philadelphia is the best of these cities. although i must say all three are pretty great and definitely part of the 1st class among american cities

Old 03-11-2011, 08:06 PM

9,972 posts, read 13,930,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
In all honesty Phily has every bit as much right as does Boston in this regard - you are coming off sounding a little pretentious

In todays world I see it like this

1 NYC - not really in question
2 LA - size and scale
3 Chicago
4 DMV
5 Bay Area
6 Philly/Boston - take your pick
8-11 Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Miami - of which in the next 10-15 most in this group will be in the mix for the 6/7 category, I will take heat but they need to sustain and come into their own (which they truly are), rapid growth is good but build till you qualify only goes so far without setting long standing precedence and history
After reading the City Vs. City Forum for time now I think that the cities are actually ranked like this:

1-New York City

(The space is to represent how much superior New York is to every other city in the US)

2-LA, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, DC(All world-class and tied for second!)
3-Chicago
4-San Jose (best downtown in the US apparently...)
5-Disneyworld

Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,233,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
After reading the City Vs. City Forum for time now I think that the cities are actually ranked like this:

1-New York City

(The space is to represent how much superior New York is to every other city in the US)

2-LA, Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Miami, DC(All world-class and tied for second!)
3-Chicago
4-San Jose (best downtown in the US apparently...)
5-Disneyworld
do people here really dislike chicago or that just a joke?

chicago should definitely be among those listed at number 2. and no offense to atlanta, dallas, miami and probably houston too... do not belong grouped with the others you listed at number 2. you can group them together for number 3 if you like.

also never been to san jose but do people really think it has the best downtown in the us?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:57 PM

2,350 posts, read 2,337,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well honestly the Hospitals in Philly can go head to to toe (UPenn, CHOP, Jeff, Hahneman, Fox Chase, Pennsylvania, Temple, Dupont Childrens etc.) Not to mention med schools also.

In my context is also on Pharmaceutucals, and although Boston has excellent companies and research in Cambridge and Waltham and even out to Marlborough but in comparison to Philly, no - Boston is a great Hospital city no doubt but in the larger realm of Healthcare Boston is most definately behind Philly in this regard; but a fairly wide margin when including all the associated elements

Quite honestly as a consultant to the Helathcare industry I find your post with a reference to mine being rediculous either totally uneducated to the industry or only looking at one single aspect; of which just purely on hospitals there is no way to make a bold statement in the first place. On hospitals alone as UPenn and Fox Chase can go head to to toe with any Boston Hospital and CHOP is and has been the BEST childrens hospital in the World and has been for decades and that is no knock against Bostons Childrens Hospital; also a fabulous and highly ranked/regarded facility. BTW Hopkins in Baltimore is better overall than any non ped hospital in Philly or Boston
Another example of, "I said it, so it must be true." Everyone who has ever heard of Boston knows it has perhaps the most SUPERIOR collection of healthcare facilities in the World.

Every poster on this thread from Philly has done this, and has even failed at substantiating their claims.

To say other wise is retahded.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 PM

2,350 posts, read 2,337,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
i'm obviously partial to philadelphia but i agree with anyone who says this is a tight race. I've yet to see san francisco but from all i've heard it's the type of city i love.

and boston is one of the few other cities i could see myself living besides Philadelphia. has a very similar feel to it in my mind.

all three cities obviously are loaded with culture

all three cities obviously are extremely dense urban areas

and all three cities are obviously of extreme economical importance not just to their region but in terms of the global economy... although i admit currently Philadelphia doesn't really compete in many economical respects to boston and san fran currently as both of these cities are truly among the world wide economic powers... and philadelphia... while closer to this status than a lot of people think, i will admit is not.

so i can definitely see why people would pick boston or san fran.

I of course will make a case for philly though

Economic

1. Boston 2. San Fran 3. Philly

Size

1. Philly 2. San Fran 3. Boston

History

1. Philly 2. Boston 3. San Fran

Culture (fun things to do, museums, etc)

1. Philly 2. San Fran 3. Boston ( i know this one will be contentious, but hey i admit i'm biased)

Higher education

1.Boston 2. Philly 3. San Fran ( i really wanted to put philly first but i'll concede)

identity (people from all over can think of things that are unique to this city)

honestly three way tie.

downtown walkability

another three way tie

so there's how i figure Philadelphia is the best of these cities. although i must say all three are pretty great and definitely part of the 1st class among american cities
I think this is the closest concession anyone on CD will see from a Philadelphian.

Maybe we should just take it...?

btw, I love your statement about education and Philly...I hope you're kidding. Boston is the World's college town.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 7,852,254 times
^b...b...b...but Philadelphia educates people the BEST. This is because the cracks in the sidewalk on Broad street align with the stars on the second Tuesday of every 5th year of every new century, at which point Elvis rides a golden walrus down from the planet Zoltar, and blesses the City of Brotherly Love with the BEST of EVERYTHING.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 AM

4,233 posts, read 7,136,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^b...b...b...but Philadelphia educates people the BEST. This is because the cracks in the sidewalk on Broad street align with the stars on the second Tuesday of every 5th year of every new century, at which point Elvis rides a golden walrus down from the planet Zoltar, and blesses the City of Brotherly Love with the BEST of EVERYTHING.
...not unlike the implications that San Francisco invented air and water, and every movement in Western Culture could only have origninated in Boston...

In all honestly, everyone on this board needs to get over themselves (and their cities) a little bit.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,227,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Your post proves one thing. Without a doubt, SF has the best weed.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM

11,817 posts, read 9,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Another example of, "I said it, so it must be true." Everyone who has ever heard of Boston knows it has perhaps the most SUPERIOR collection of healthcare facilities in the World.
You realize that you are doing everything that you are accusing other posters of? Right? KidPhilly obviously works in the Health care Industry and presented a fair assessment of the industry's in Boston and Philadelphia. Who is this "everyone" that you speak of?

All you ever do is accuse others of talking out of their a** when you are the one that has brought nothing to the conversation. Where are your facts? Are all your opinions based on your own assumptions? If you can't see how close Boston, The Bay Area and Philadelphia are in terms of importance than you don't have to be involved in the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City