U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 286 58.37%
Boston 90 18.37%
Philadelphia 93 18.98%
Confused 21 4.29%
Voters: 490. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM

816 posts, read 1,527,983 times

Advertisements

Ummm, isn't the census still reviewing the new revision of UA's..?
Which would include the 29+ Million...

New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT; Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD; Allentown- Bethlehem, PA-NJ; Lancaster, PA; Pottstown, PA; Reading, PA; Trenton, NJ; Hightstown, NJ; Vineland, NJ; Poughkeepsie-Newburgh, NY; Bridgeport- Stamford, CT; Danbury, CT-NY; Hartford, CT; New Haven, CT; Norwich- New London, CT; Waterbury, CT; Springfield, MA-CT

????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

4,886 posts, read 12,175,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Are you actually trying to debate that San Jose is not in the Bay Area? smh
I will debate you on the merits that Trenton is more a part of Philadelphia than SJ is to SF.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I will debate you

That's when I stopped reading. Please get a clue... SJ is the Bay Area period. No ifs, no buts. It's like trying to argue that Brooklyn is not a part of New York City, and sounds equally ridiculous.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM

21,939 posts, read 30,740,972 times
Quote:
That's when I stopped reading. Please get a clue... SJ is the Bay Area period. No ifs, no buts. It's like trying to argue that Brooklyn is not a part of New York City, and sounds equally ridiculous.

In all honesty the only people that think Trenton is not part of Philly is the census.

I imagine most people in the area would be very surprised that the Census aligns them with NY while they would consider themselves far more associated with philly. But again real world vs this crap.

All the govt planning agencies place Mercer with philly because they feel it makes more sense. But again this crap vs real world.

Its not even areas close to the actual city of NYC but second ringed office parks that draw Mercer north. But NYC is a hage draw, placed right next to any metro it would have significant commuter draw

Old 11-01-2011, 07:53 PM

6,920 posts, read 11,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
In all honesty the only people that think Trenton is not part of Philly is the census.

I imagine most people in the area would be very surprised that the Census aligns them with NY while they would consider themselves far more associated with philly. But again real world vs this crap.

All the govt planning agencies place Mercer with philly because they feel it makes more sense. But again this crap vs real world.

Its not even areas close to the actual city of NYC but second ringed office parks that draw Mercer north. But NYC is a hage draw, placed right next to any metro it would have significant commuter draw

I never argued that Trenton or Mercer should not be aligned with Philly. Rainrock on the other hand just tried to insinuate that SJ is not part of the Bay Area, which only speaks to how clueless rainrock is about the Bay Area.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM

9,619 posts, read 12,757,857 times
Quote:
I never argued that Trenton or Mercer should not be aligned with Philly. Rainrock on the other hand just tried to insinuate that SJ is not part of the Bay Area, which only speaks to how clueless rainrock is about the Bay Area.
- People in the Bay Area consider SJ to be part of the Bay Area
- People in SJ consider SJ to be part of the Bay Area
- Popular culture considers SJ to be part of the Bay Area
- The government considers SJ to be part of the Bay Area
- You can drive from SF (the center of the Bay Area) to SJ in about an hour or less
- Commuter rail connects SF to SJ (caltrain)

There is basically nothing whatsoever that would indicate, at all, that SJ is not part of the "Bay Area."

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 PM

8,372 posts, read 8,422,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The Bay Area is losing importance. Tech jobs are going overseas.

^^I dont know about all that, but for now....I agree with you.

Quote:
For importance my ranking would be.....

1. New York
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco

Quote:
What kind of a question is this? In importance Philadelphia ranks seventh, possibly higher.

1. New York
2. Washington, D.C.
3. Chicago
4. Los Angeles
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia

Last edited by slo1318; 11-01-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
If history is any precursor industries change with time and relative importance and reliance on areas do as well. SF looks a lot like Chicago and Philadelphia in 1950, leveling off on population growth, still large immigrant population, at the center of a key industry. Economies evolve as do other factors. SF wont implode by any means but has many parrallels to cities that hit hard times and had to reinvent themselves. With that said there are many facets of the Bay that are good but like all things time will tell and like many other places the Bay may have to reinvent itself in some capacity.

I agree, and I think there will be major changes over the next 50 years, as there always is. I think the east coast metros have been undergoing the transition to more stable slower growth economies and out of the hyper young growth they were under until the 50's/60's. I think California/west coast/sunbelt cities have yet to make that transition. California is next in line to make a transition, having relied on growth to boost the economy for years, then when things go south a large chunk of the economy is slow or out of work, causing high unemployment. Thats what we see today, with the housing sector being down so far. It will always be a big piece of the economy, but it needs to be less so in the future. The same is true for immigrants. On the east coast most of the immigrant issues as far as assimilation have already occurred, where as in California its happening right now.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM

4,886 posts, read 12,175,559 times
Quote:
Are you actually trying to debate that San Jose is not in the Bay Area? smh

I dont recall insinuating that.

Feel free to quote me if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City