U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.97%
Boston 92 18.33%
Philadelphia 98 19.52%
Confused 21 4.18%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:35 PM

940 posts, read 1,711,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Interesting, I see it more like the automobile, just a new innovation we will view as part of life going forward, with more and more places doing it. Only to be replaced by whatever is next. I don't think the internet will exist as it is now in 20 years.
whoa, 20 years?!?! the whole world will be different in 20 years. I was thinking "most important" for the next 5 years, max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,315,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
but Philly created the first modern computer, which is the foundation of the current technological revolution we are living in.
As lmkcin posted earlier, all three all three of the cities in this conversation can make some sort of claim for inventing the modern day computer. Pretty funny coincidence.

Quote:
Evem though everyone seems to think The Bay area is the most innovative place in the country, and it is innovative, Philadelphia easily creates the more important world changing innovations.
According to this (http://wtww.innovation-cities.com/innovation-cities-top-100-index-top-cities/ - broken link) ranking, all three cities are among the thirty most innovative cities on the planet:

1. Boston
7. San Francisco
30. Philadelphia

Overall I would put the Bay Area at the top of the list in terms of current importance between these three cities...then Boston, then Philly.

- Size I think this is between Philadelphia and San Francisco. Even though Boston's CSA is technically the largest, I don't think it's as well-connected as the Bay or Philadelphia.

- Economic Output (GDP)
- Total Personal Income

These go to SF and is part of the reason why I would put them as the most important out of these three for current importance.

- History This is a sticky subject because Philadelphia and Boston are without question the two most historical cities in the country. Rather than getting into a long, drawn out argument, I think it's fair to say these two are tied in this regard. San Francisco has a good history, but it's nothing compared to Boston or Philadelphia.

- Location Not quite sure what this means exactly. The Bay Area benefits from being relatively isolated in terms of other major cities. Philadelphia and Boston benefit from proximity to New York and being within the BosWash Megalopolis. Philadelphia is tucked between NYC and Washington DC, Boston is the capital of New England.

I'm not sure which you can call the best location.

- Niche Industries The niche industries of San Francisco include technology and finance. For Boston it is education, medical research and finance. For Philadelphia it is pharmaceuticals. All are extremely important to our country and the world. Tough to make an argument for or against these industries as being more or less important than the others.

- Economy (diversity & variance) All three have their #1 industries (Bay-Tech, Boston-Medical, Philly-Pharma) but have very diversified economies. In terms of variance, all three are home to a major company which is far different than their benchmark industry.

For San Francisco it would be the major oil/energy company Chevron. For Philadelphia it would be telecom giant Comcast. Boston is home to one of the largest defense contractors in the world, Raytheon.

- Finance Boston is tops here, with San Francisco close behind. Philadelphia is home to Lincoln Financial, among others, but isn't on the same level as Boston or San Francisco in this regard.

- Anything else you can come up with (absent from the list)

After breaking it all down, they're all very comparable metros...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,549,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
In the end, though, I don't care so much for rankings of "importance." It can help for long-term planning of investments/ economic development strategies/ political moves. But it doesn't necessarily make a place more exciting, interesting, enjoyable, livable, etc. And it's definitely not what makes me want to live somewhere.

I would pretty much only live in Oakland or Philly out of any of the cities in these metros.
Exactly, importance does not equal quality. You would think that i importance does equal quality the way measures of "importance" (gdp etc) is constantly talked about on city-data.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM

22,193 posts, read 31,497,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
As lmkcin posted earlier, all three all three of the cities in this conversation can make some sort of claim for inventing the modern day computer. Pretty funny coincidence.

According to this (http://wtww.innovation-cities.com/innovation-cities-top-100-index-top-cities/ - broken link) ranking, all three cities are among the thirty most innovative cities on the planet:

1. Boston
7. San Francisco
30. Philadelphia

Overall I would put the Bay Area at the top of the list in terms of current importance between these three cities...then Boston, then Philly.

- Size I think this is between Philadelphia and San Francisco. Even though Boston's CSA is technically the largest, I don't think it's as well-connected as the Bay or Philadelphia.

- Economic Output (GDP)
- Total Personal Income

This goes to SF and is part of the reason why I would put them as the most important out of these three for current importance.

- History This is a sticky subject because Philadelphia and Boston are without question the two most historical cities in the country. Rather than do a long, drawn out argument, I think it's fair to say these two are tied in this regard. San Francisco has a good history, but it's nothing compared to Boston or Philadelphia.

- Location Not quite sure what this means exactly. The Bay Area benefits from being relatively isolated in terms of other major cities. Philadelphia and Boston benefit from proximity to New York and being within the BosWash Megalopolis. Philadelphia is tucked between NYC and Washington DC, Boston is the capital of New England.

I'm not sure which you can call the best location.

- Niche Industries The niche industries of San Francisco include technology and finance. For Boston it is education, medical research and finance. For Philadelphia it is pharmaceuticals. All are extremely important to our country and the world. Tough to make an argument for or against these industries as being more or less important than the others.

- Economy (diversity & variance) All three have their #1 industries (Bay-Tech, Boston-Medical, Philly-Pharma) but have very diversified economies. In terms of variance, all three are home to a major company which is far different than their benchmark industry.

For San Francisco it would be the major oil/energy company Chevron. For Philadelphia it would be telecom giant Comcast. Boston is home to one of the largest defense contractors in the world, Raytheon.

- Finance Boston is tops here, with San Francisco close behind. Philadelphia is home to Lincoln Financial, among others, but isn't on the same level as Boston or San Francisco in this regard.

- Anything else you can come up with (absent from the list)

After breaking it all down, they're all very comparable metros...
Actually very good stuff on your post- but on Oil and Chemicals there are companies aalled Dupont and Sunocco in Philly not sure there is a run-away winner and similar for medical research (Philly is not far behind Boston, nor is SF they all excel in this category) - the funding is a metric you like to use but because much of the medical research in Boston is more expensive (some of the Biotech ect) but it is by no means a run-away on output nor eventual dollars generated from it; but I think my point more is that these areas are all much closer even on their lead metrics than we often realize demonstating strengths and diversity in all 3 which is quite admirable accross the board.

And the largest Company in Philly is actually in Medical Services - AmerisourceBergen on the F500 list - above Comcast (even with it's acquisition of NBC Universal), Dupont, and Sunoco

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...rts&id=7679077

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-05-2011 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:12 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,315,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually very good stuff on your post- but on Oil and Chemicals there are companies aalled Dupont and Sunocco in Philly not sure there is a run-away winner and similar for medical research (Philly is not far behind Boston, nor is SF they all excel in this category) - the funding is a metric you like to use but because much of the medical research in Boston is more expensive (some of the Biotech ect) but it is by no means a run-away on output nor eventual dollars generated from it; but I think my point more is that these areas are all much closer even on their lead metrics than we often realize demonstating strengths and diversity in all 3 which is quite admirable accross the board.

And the largest Company in Philly is actually in Medical Services - AmerisourceBergen on the F500 list - above Comcast (even with it's acquisition of NBC Universal), Dupont, and Sunoco

Amerisource Bergen: profile of local $72B company | 6abc.com
Yea very true. They seem to be very closely-related in terms of industries. Where SF is #1 for technology, Boston is #2. Boston is #1 for medical research, but Philadelphia is #2. Philadelphia is #1 for pharma but there is an argument for Boston and San Francisco to be the #2 and #3 cities in this regard.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea very true. They seem to be very closely-related in terms of industries. Where SF is #1 for technology, Boston is #2. Boston is #1 for medical research, but Philadelphia is #2. Philadelphia is #1 for pharma but there is an argument for Boston and San Francisco to be the #2 and #3 cities in this regard.

Yes even on education one could make an argumnet they are 1, 2, 3 especially since most of this is CSA and Princeton is coming BACK to Philly in the upcoming census (At least CSA potentially even MSA)

As the next size below the monsters they have remarkable similarities in many ways

also one more point on financial though i agree it lags behind Boston and SF is Vangaurd and SEI are also in the Philly MSA; neither insignificant - The world markets actually close eveyday in King of Prussia PA

Last edited by kidphilly; 03-05-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM

as an aside based on the small n (like 30 or so) I am surprised Philly is getting as much love - Honestly my vote among is the Bay by a hair; I voted Philly mainly because i am generally annoyed recently by outlandish claims like Gov't overthrow and we are just like Paris

Just like this scene and it's value in Philadelphia (see ~ minute 2:40) reminds me of the SF rhetoric lately and it's value in Philly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzNxrVo8kcQ

Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM

940 posts, read 1,711,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Exactly, importance does not equal quality. You would think that i importance does equal quality the way measures of "importance" (gdp etc) is constantly talked about on city-data.
I mean, this is a city-dork site, so it doesn't surprise me that people talk about cities as if they are magic cards:

"philadelphia has +4 mana with infinity spell and always defeats Boston's orc rampage--but not if equipped with a stage 3 cloak"

Personally, I really only care about cultural importance and so I can only see myself living in LA or NY.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:40 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,504,490 times
- Size: Boston by population, I guess if we're looking at CSA's.

- Economic Output (GDP): Bay Area has the largest economic output, but it probably has a bit more inflation than the others too.

- Total Personal Income: No idea really, if I had to guess I remember Philadelphia by MSA & Bay Area by CSA.

- History: Boston & Philadelphia probably tie. I kind of just threw this one in here just for the aspect of combining all criteria into one thread, but in contrast this is a significant criteria too.

- Niche Industries: All have one. Bay Area is tech, Boston is education, & Philadelphia is pharmaceuticals.

- Economy (diversity & variance): Philadelphia is the most diverse I think, Boston next up, & Bay Area is hard to tell because San Jose (and all of San Jose MSA, which is 1/3 of Bay Area) is the least diverse economy in the entire country where as Oakland (which accounts for another 1/3 of the Bay Area's population) is one of the most diverse economies in the entire country and San Francisco (where another 1/3 of the people are) is right in the middle. I honestly would call this dead even with a fair balance.

Variance, well I think this one might actually go to Bay Area for specializing in everything from retail, clothing, media, energy, tech, banking, insurance, finance, and everything else. But then after probably a tie between Boston & Philadelphia.

- Finance: Boston by a hair to Bay Area, with Philadelphia right behind these two.

- Anything else you can come up with (absent from the list): Yeah a few other things I've considered but I'll wait until later before posting about it because I'm still trying to compile reasoning for those things.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,881,506 times
I'm not going to entertain that it's better than Philly or Boston, but the Bay Area destroys New York by far. Those other 2 cities are not worth even mentioning. Bay Area rules with an iron fist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City