U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.97%
Boston 92 18.33%
Philadelphia 98 19.52%
Confused 21 4.18%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM

31,751 posts, read 54,100,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Where in SF are these houses / mansions?
I know the first 2 are on Broadway in Pacific Heights and I think the 3rd one is too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,850,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I know the first 2 are on Broadway in Pacific Heights and I think the 3rd one is too.
Cool thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,151,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Wrong. Boston and Philly both beat SF when it comes to that fast-paced city vibe. Get in line, child. Maybe someday you'll grow up to be like your older brothers. Maybe.

...No. Even limiting the comparison to downtown Boston vs. downtown San Francisco makes it obvious which city is faster-paced.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM

8,981 posts, read 9,150,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
...No. Even limiting the comparison to downtown Boston vs. downtown San Francisco makes it obvious which city is faster-paced.
It is very close between Boston/ Philly/ San Francisco anyone who says otherwise is a homer, or lieing.
Also Boston is Different from those other cities because it has mini-Downtowns because Charlestown, Dorcester, Alliston, Brighton, South Boston, Roxbury, Rosindale ect. used to be completely seperate towns.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It is very close between Boston/ Philly/ San Francisco anyone who says otherwise is a homer, or lieing.
Also Boston is Different from those other cities because it has mini-Downtowns because Charlestown, Dorcester, Alliston, Brighton, South Boston, Roxbury, Rosindale ect. used to be completely seperate towns.

Boston is equal to San Francisco in a lot of things and better in some things but IMO pace is not one of them.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Boston is equal to San Francisco in a lot of things and better in some things but IMO pace is not one of them.
San Fran is Vibrant, but i think people in Boston tend to be more aggresive in getting to where they want to be, while more (not all) San Franciscans have the "we will get there when we get there" way of life

Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
San Fran is Vibrant, but i think people in Boston tend to be more aggresive in getting to where they want to be, while more (not all) San Franciscans have the "we will get there when we get there" way of life
Personally that's not my experience at all in SF, and especially not in downtown.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Personally that's not my experience at all in SF, and especially not in downtown.
Maybe i was too close to Tourist hotspots, and the same thing happens when you leave the Freedom trail, or Indepenence Hall area of Philly, suddenly it becomes 100X more hurried.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 PM

9,677 posts, read 13,089,951 times
Quote:
I'll actually agree with this to an extent.

"Get the f out of my way" is a pretty standard rallying call akin to "oi" in Boston punk songs. SF is way more fast-paced than most Northeasterners expect (there's no quantifiable surfer/hippie vibe), but on the whole, it is more laid back than back home.

...which is part of the reason, one way or the other, that I chose to live there over Boston and NYC.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM

6,682 posts, read 7,555,533 times
Quote:
Agree with first statement. The second is false, however. In addition to Center City, Philly has commerce centers such as Passyunk, University City, Fairmont, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, East Falls, Manayunk, Germantown, Mt Airy, Chestnut Hill, etc. Several of these were independent incorporated cities and towns prior to being annexed into Philly. For example, starting with the first census in 1790, Northern Liberties was one of the top 10 cities in the US until it became part of Philadelphia in 1854. This phenomenon is common among many east coast cites and towns.

In my explorations, SF is similar in regard to having several distinct "downtowns" apart from the financial district. A student of SF history can tell us whether any were at one time separate towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City