U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.97%
Boston 92 18.33%
Philadelphia 98 19.52%
Confused 21 4.18%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 PM

8,984 posts, read 9,153,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
Yes to education
Yes to Healthier Economy

WTF to Tech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable
WTF to Biotech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable

HELL NO to Museums
HELL NO to Orchestras
Philadelphia is a better sports city

The average american prefers Philly as a favorite, and Philly defiantly comes to mind before Boston for any American.

FOOD? Are you serious LOL Get real. Philly destroys Boston in food.
Really I far perfer Lobster, Beans, and Chowder to Cheese Steaks.
Bostons BSO is far superoir to Phillys Orchestras
Boston is a way better Sports city than Philly, How many Championships do you gus have in the last 10 years? if its Less than 7 (and it is) then Boston Better
Like it or not the majority of America Percieves Philly as a Blown out getto, its not but the fact remains 90% of Americans havent been to Boston or Philly so Perception>Reality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,480,726 times
Quote:
I'm sure America prefers Philly over Boston anyways.
Actually, most of us don't have either on our radar or really care either way between Philly and Boston...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 PM

78 posts, read 130,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Really I far perfer Lobster, Beans, and Chowder to Cheese Steaks.
Bostons BSO is far superoir to Phillys Orchestras
Boston is a way better Sports city than Philly, How many Championships do you gus have in the last 10 years? if its Less than 7 (and it is) then Boston Better
Like it or not the majority of America Percieves Philly as a Blown out getto, its not but the fact remains 90% of Americans havent been to Boston or Philly so Perception>Reality
What 25 years ago? I'm sure people think of Philly as a cool fun city and when they say "You want to come to Philly with me?" they smile and pack their bags. Not the same for Boston. Only thing Boston is known for is History, Sports and Education. While Philly is known for THOSE things and a little bit more.

Philly rulez, Boston sucks - YouTube

Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
What 25 years ago? I'm sure people think of Philly as a cool fun city and when they say "You want to come to Philly with me?" they smile and pack their bags. Not the same for Boston. Only thing Boston is known for is History, Sports and Education. While Philly is known for THOSE things and a little bit more.

Philly rulez, Boston sucks - YouTube
It doesn't matter if it is or not but many people think that.
and that video is joke, which is why its based of the premis that Philly is better than Boston.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,318,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
"Importance" is so subjective, though. Are we talking media? Commerce? Education? Number of foreign consulates? The answer would be different depending on the topic -- not to mention scope (MSA v. CSA).

All things considered, the level of "importance" between both cities/metros is pretty negligible, while the Bay Area's importance is decidedly above both cities (only when speaking of CSA).
Very true. I prefer to use the MSA measure than the CSA (even if the Bay is a CSA area). In terms of importance, I was sort of trying to look at it from a sum of all parts perspective. I would agree that the difference is very small though.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,318,373 times
Quote:
WTF to Tech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable
It's not really debatable...and I don't really get why you're saying no one cares about tech. It's arguably the most powerful industry in the country.

Quote:
WTF to Biotech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable
Again, I don't get why you're saying no one cares about biotechnology. These are important topics and subjects. In terms of biotechnology, Boston's definitely more important--though Philadelphia is far more important in pharmaceuticals.

Quote:
HELL NO to Museums
Ehhh...it's close.

Quote:
HELL NO to Orchestras
Boston's got two of the best orchestras in the country with the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Boston Pops. That's pretty hard to beat.

Quote:
Philadelphia is a better sports city
Better at what, exactly? Both are incredibly passionate fan bases...though Boston's teams are far superior.

Quote:
The average american prefers Philly as a favorite, and Philly defiantly comes to mind before Boston for any American.
Says a person who is presumably from Philadelphia.

Quote:
FOOD? Are you serious LOL Get real. Philly destroys Boston in food.
That's extremely debatable.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM

4,339 posts, read 7,358,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

What's the argument for Philly being more important other than the fact that it's slightly larger?
I think that speaks to a few more things than simply population. Media market, GDP, and commerce are all critical factors that designate greater importance by virtue of being a larger city, and they're by no means insignificant.

Another factor is Philly's location on the Northeast Corridor, making it a critical link between two cities widely considered more important than both Boston and Philadelphia; this makes it a major hub for air, rail and port travel with passenger/freight volumes above Boston -- in some cases by a large margin.

It seems that you're putting more emphasis on Boston's greater global significance (mostly due to having two powerhouse medical and educational institutions, each), which is of course a major factor -- and I would definitely consider Boston as having a higher global profile. However, I believe that is one factor among many that must be considered.

Other than the higher educational and medical institutional aspects cited above -- and I am honestly trying to be as objective as possible here -- I honestly do not see any categories where Boston would be significantly "more important" than Philadelphia as you seem to suggest.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 PM

4,339 posts, read 7,358,196 times
Quote:
Let's be real here, though. Both Philly and Boston have rich histories and storied sports heritages. That's definitely a wash.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that speaks to a few more things than simply population. Media market, GDP, and commerce are all critical factors that designate greater importance by virtue of being a larger city, and they're by no means insignificant.

Another factor is Philly's location on the Northeast Corridor, making it a critical link between two cities widely considered more important than both Boston and Philadelphia; this makes it a major hub for air, rail and port travel with passenger/freight volumes above Boston -- in some cases by a large margin.

It seems that you're putting more emphasis on Boston's greater global significance (mostly due to having two powerhouse medical and educational institutions, each), which is of course a major factor -- and I would definitely consider Boston as having a higher global profile. However, I believe that is one factor among many that must be considered.

Other than the higher educational and medical institutional aspects cited above -- and I am honestly trying to be as objective as possible here -- I honestly do not see any categories where Boston would be significantly "more important" than Philadelphia as you seem to suggest.
So what your saying is Phillys better than Boston because its near other Major cities, then is Chicago is less important than Elizebeth NJ.
Boston supasses Philly in other aspects as well, Finance, both far exceeds Philly, and Phillys Economy is rather pathetic if you take into account in the MSA level Boston has 1.5 Million less people but its ever so slightly smaller economically, and on a CSA level Boston beats Philly by a decent margin.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,645,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
So what your saying is Phillys better than Boston because its near other Major cities, then is Chicago is less important than Elizebeth NJ.
Boston supasses Philly in other aspects as well, Finance, both far exceeds Philly, and Phillys Economy is rather pathetic if you take into account in the MSA level Boston has 1.5 Million less people but its ever so slightly smaller economically, and on a CSA level Boston beats Philly by a decent margin.
Boston is a larger financial city no doubt... but Philly has a large presence from Independence Blue Cross, PNC, among others. IMO Philly is a larger art/media city. They are pretty tied in the medical industry no doubt. You can not discredit CHOP, UPENN and other large medical institutions. As far as Universities go, Boston has a slight edge due to Harvard... but again Philly is no slouch here with UPenn and Villanova and Drexel among others. Overall GDP, Philly wins. Again Boston is close behind. Boston has 4.5 mill and Philly has 5.8 mill metro pop. Just a little over a million more... so don't you think Philly and Boston would be close in GDP? Makes sense right. Not to mention you are leaving out the fact that Boston pretty much has the ENTIRE BACKING OF ALL OF NEW ENGLAND. Philly has little backing to work with being wedged between NY and DC. Downtowns... without a doubt a tie. Museums... tie. I don't think you can give either city the edge in this one. Cultural amenities... tie. Don't think you can give the edge to either on this either. Sports, slight edge to Boston. You cannot deny how much better the Phillies, Flyer and the Sixers have gotten lately. F U Eagles. Night life. Philly, hands down. Number of high rises. Philly. Has more high rises/skyscrapers and is one of the only cities in the U.S. with two or more towers topping at least 900 feet. Both have beautiful areas. Both Beautiful row homes.

All in all... this is a pretty close argument. I think Philly gets the slight edge but then again I am biased. They're def close and I don't think you should just discredit Philly like that when you're not looking at the cold hard facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City