U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 162 54.92%
Boston 54 18.31%
Philadelphia 66 22.37%
Confused 13 4.41%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,280,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
I mean, this is a city-dork site, so it doesn't surprise me that people talk about cities as if they are magic cards:

"philadelphia has +4 mana with infinity spell and always defeats Boston's orc rampage--but not if equipped with a stage 3 cloak"

Personally, I really only care about cultural importance and so I can only see myself living in LA or NY.
LMAO, nice analogy...

see attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Bay Area VS Boston VS Philadelphia-phillymagic.jpg   Bay Area VS Boston VS Philadelphia-bostonmagic.jpg   Bay Area VS Boston VS Philadelphia-sanfranmagic.jpg  

Last edited by grapico; 03-05-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

19,034 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
- Size: Boston by population, I guess if we're looking at CSA's.

- Economic Output (GDP): Bay Area has the largest economic output, but it probably has a bit more inflation than the others too.

- Total Personal Income: No idea really, if I had to guess I remember Philadelphia by MSA & Bay Area by CSA.

- History: Boston & Philadelphia probably tie. I kind of just threw this one in here just for the aspect of combining all criteria into one thread, but in contrast this is a significant criteria too.

- Niche Industries: All have one. Bay Area is tech, Boston is education, & Philadelphia is pharmaceuticals.

- Economy (diversity & variance): Philadelphia is the most diverse I think, Boston next up, & Bay Area is hard to tell because San Jose (and all of San Jose MSA, which is 1/3 of Bay Area) is the least diverse economy in the entire country where as Oakland (which accounts for another 1/3 of the Bay Area's population) is one of the most diverse economies in the entire country and San Francisco (where another 1/3 of the people are) is right in the middle. I honestly would call this dead even with a fair balance.

Variance, well I think this one might actually go to Bay Area for specializing in everything from retail, clothing, media, energy, tech, banking, insurance, finance, and everything else. But then after probably a tie between Boston & Philadelphia.

- Finance: Boston by a hair to Bay Area, with Philadelphia right behind these two.

- Anything else you can come up with (absent from the list): Yeah a few other things I've considered but I'll wait until later before posting about it because I'm still trying to compile reasoning for those things.
i just find it interesting in how similar these all are - your desciption of variance and the areas mentioned

Just to throw out Philly significance in all the areas you mention there are substantial examples for all and I believe in all areas but here goes; just more to the point of how close they all are

retail/clothing - well i combined these but Charming Shoppes/Urban Outfitters/Anthrpologie/QVC (maybe media too)/Burlinton Coat Factory
media - Comcast/NBC/QVC/Calkins Media
energy/utilities Sunocco/UGI/Aqua America/Ametek/Airgas/Dupont/Rohn Hass
tech Sungaurd/SAP/Numerous Medical Pharma/Vishay
banking Lincoln Financial/Beneficial/Sovereign
insurance Cigna/Universal health Services/
finance Radian/SEI/Vangaurd/Lincoln Financial

again just that even among top or diversified areas all have significant activity

Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
All very close but IMO Boston has the best combo of history, power, and education of the three but all do well across the board. UPenn and Stanford are no slouch but MIT, Brown, Harvard are an impressive line up for Boston arguably the top in the world with Boston also being a major center for banking, finance, nanotech, biotech, high tech, and imports. Your right size wont make a cut or less with this comparison by economy or by metro population, all very close together.

lol how do you mention bay area colleges but not UC Berkeley.

And the bay area is THE major center for Biotech, nanotech and high tech.

Bay Area leads the nation in nanotechnology centers - SFGate

Will the Bay Area Lose Its Edge as the Top Biotech Hub in 20 Years? We’ll Ask March 16 | Xconomy

Seriously what's your point?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Point is SF doesnt have everything to push it above Boston and Philly. SF and Boston are both basically tied in finance, banking, healthcare, politics, Boston's economy is healthier while SF's is larger, and the only thing that separates them is history. Boston is where the revolution started where hundreds put their lives on the line to give us the country we sit in today. Whats SFs' contribution to history? Nancy Pelosi..

Clearly history dates back before 1776 but what events in SF took place there that changed the country for all we know of it now? I cant think of any that come near Bostons'

Seriously how idiotic can you get. Chinese American history STARTS in San Francisco. Period. And the Gold Rush doesn't count? lol then the settlement of America doesn't either because all of those people were from Europe. Do you ever proofread your own posts?

And if you want to talk about history, San Francicso and all of California has a history as old as Boston's and separate from the USA's. Ever heard of the Spanish missionaries? Do you know the history of El Camino Real? Know why San Francisco's called San Francisco? Might want to read up.

In terms of colonial and industrial American history, Boston and Philadelphia obviously > San Francisco as SF wasn't around in the way it is now. In terms of modern history, there's a very strong case to be made for San Francisco post 1960.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM

15,292 posts, read 11,528,963 times
I vote for Philadelphia>>>>>

http://www.mastercard.com/us/company...eport_2008.pdf

http://business.phila.gov/documents/...art.Choice.pdf

Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 PM

43 posts, read 41,143 times
What I enjoy about this comparison is that they're so close, you can't really call a winner. They all have their strengths, and each can have a solid fight made for it. However, people can still discuss because there's no end to the studies and articles and data that gives this city the edge here, and that city the edge there. It's a fun debate.

That said, I gave my vote to Boston. The Bay Area is a close second, having a few more industries and companies headquartered there, but the impact of Boston, historically, is ridiculous. It's the birthplace of the two greatest technological leaps of human communication, ever (the telephone and the Internet), plus it's where Facebook started. And I think we can all agree on the impact of Boston's greatest invention, the United States of America (not to discredit Philly, but Boston really got the revolutionary ball rolling). So while the Bay Area might have the most companies, and Philly might be the biggest, the sheer influence of Boston and its ideas on the world is immeasurable.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 AM

74 posts, read 92,066 times
1. Bay Area
2. Boston
3. Philly

Did anyone else notice how many different posters claim their cities gave birth to the internet? I have heard this from Seattle, Boston, LA, SF, Chicago, Philly and even a couple I won't mention.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,870,883 times
Baltimore was the birth of 4G

Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 AM

12,395 posts, read 14,280,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbrinegar View Post
1. Bay Area
2. Boston
3. Philly

Did anyone else notice how many different posters claim their cities gave birth to the internet? I have heard this from Seattle, Boston, LA, SF, Chicago, Philly and even a couple I won't mention.
The initial communications were between UCLA and Stanford on ARPANET, the WWW was invented in Geneva, CH (CERN), UIUC was the first stable modern looking browser (Mosaic), the same guy who invented the web, went to MIT and developed W3C standards, Bay Area capitalized on the commercialization of the internet, hence dotcom boom and bust, and continued boom.

If anybody is in Chicago, he(www creator) is giving a lecture at Northwestern
on Monday.
http://205.188.238.181/time/time100/...ernerslee.html

Technically the "head" of the www would be in Los Angeles ...ICANN is there, and would be the closest thing you could get to as a form of "internet government"

Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 AM

24,925 posts, read 31,755,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbrinegar View Post
1. Bay Area
2. Boston
3. Philly

Ive never claimed to have invented the internet, only to own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City