U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 162 55.10%
Boston 54 18.37%
Philadelphia 65 22.11%
Confused 13 4.42%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:22 PM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
897 posts, read 275,005 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston has more than 50 murders last year the closest runner up was 7, then 2, Boston has by far the most dangerous areas in the Commomweath.
from what I know Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, and Jamaica Plains are all hoods within the city limits of Boston, even East Boston is considered somewhat sketchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: NYC/PHiLLY
745 posts, read 483,263 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How so?
is it because the general consenus is Boston> Philly (abiet slightly)
The general consensus being the poll numbers? or whats in your head?

For the record Boston (Based on pics ive seen and what I know of the city) looks like a beautiful city with things to see and do and I look forward to visiting hopefully this summer

However I find it hilarious how there must be some conspiracy that Philly is beating out Boston in this poll..you guys will have to deal.

Unless we're talking Education..I don't see how Boston would be a clear winner over Philly anyway..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: where u wish u lived
897 posts, read 275,005 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight View Post
Bay area crushes Philly overall. Take away all of Philly's ghetto and what's left is less than what SF's got. Add the rest of the Bay Area and Philly is humiliated. Doesn't mean Philly isn't nice, it's just the way it is.
I am also one who disagrees with this comment, if you were to take away the ghetto areas of LA or Chicago they would probably not even be the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:27 PM
 
57 posts, read 10,253 times
Reputation: 48
the scale and scope of philadelphia's ghetto dwarfs that of the other cities. only new york has a larger poor black urban community. bedford stuyvesant brooklyn. that's a statistical fact. san francisco and austin are both richer and less 'urban poor black violence' etc. - philadelphia is more similar to chicago, where murder is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
 
57 posts, read 10,253 times
Reputation: 48
true for chicago, not true for new york. philadelphia still has more ghetto than chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I am also one who disagrees with this comment, if you were to take away the ghetto areas of LA or Chicago they would probably not even be the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
 
709 posts, read 444,366 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight View Post
the scale and scope of philadelphia's ghetto dwarfs that of the other cities. only new york has a larger poor black urban community. bedford stuyvesant brooklyn. that's a statistical fact. san francisco and austin are both richer and less 'urban poor black violence' etc. - philadelphia is more similar to chicago, where murder is out of control.
Too bad every city cant be as perfect as San Franciso or Austin and have no problems. Philly is a large city, so that would most likely mean it would have larger ghettos. San Francisco and Austin barely have black populations, so obviously they would have "less 'urban poor black violence' etc."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:41 PM
 
57 posts, read 10,253 times
Reputation: 48
yes, but please get what I am saying. philadelphia has the most of this. eventually it gets to you. it ends up affecting you or someone you know who has something stolen or is mugged, or someone's wife or daughter is harassed by a bunch of kids who are also out stealing bikes. it's ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Too bad every city cant be as perfect as San Franciso or Austin and have no problems. Philly is a large city, so that would most likely mean it would have larger ghettos. San Francisco and Austin barely have black populations, so obviously they would have "less 'urban poor black violence' etc."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
 
709 posts, read 444,366 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight View Post
yes, but please get what I am saying. philadelphia has the most of this. eventually it gets to you. it ends up affecting you or someone you know who has something stolen or is mugged, or someone's wife or daughter is harassed by a bunch of kids who are also out stealing bikes. it's ridiculous.
Not really, Im from New Orleans (reputedly the most dangerous city in America, blah) and me or my family has never really been affeted by crime except or crappy car getting stolen becuase it was super easy to break into. But that happens in every city. Most crime anyways happens in poor neighborhoods and is related to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
 
2,233 posts, read 2,130,589 times
Reputation: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight View Post
true for chicago, not true for new york. philadelphia still has more ghetto than chicago.
The common perception of Philly seems to be that it is a nice city surrounded by a ring of massive slums surrounded by a suburban wasteland with some of the nations worst cities sprinkled in for good measure. How does a place that is so ghetto have arguably the most stable economy in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
 
57 posts, read 10,253 times
Reputation: 48
bringing new orleans into this does not help to clarify. new orleans is a sure the dangerous, but it also has a culture that encourages that danger. new orleans is also quite a bit smaller. right across from philadelphia is camden, perennially battling it out with detroit in new orleans for title of murder capital. take it or leave it, philadelphia is the king of ghettos, as wonderful as it might be in other ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Not really, Im from New Orleans (reputedly the most dangerous city in America, blah) and me or my family has never really been affeted by crime except or crappy car getting stolen becuase it was super easy to break into. But that happens in every city. Most crime anyways happens in poor neighborhoods and is related to drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top