U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.85%
Boston 93 18.49%
Philadelphia 98 19.48%
Confused 21 4.17%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 AM
 
2,420 posts, read 3,921,474 times
Reputation: 1258

Advertisements

Nothing against Boston, but people seem to forget that at the time of the revolution Boston was a backward puritanistic hell-hole where people we're being burned at the stake. They we're even more religously conservative than England, and fought them tooth and nail for the right to have basically no human rights. The Quakers of Philly, on the other hand, were ahead of their time with their live and let live stance on human rights, and thus sought to start a country based on the belief that all men are created equal, regardless of religion. Boston did fight the British, but for the opposite reason as Philly, even today, this is why Philly is more colorful and diverse, than Boston, which practically has the demographics of Ireland.

So lets put the debate to rest. Philadelphia is the birthplace of America.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 03-06-2011 at 03:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:17 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,171,629 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Nothing against Boston, but people seem to forget that at the time of the revolution Boston was a backward puritanistic hell-hole where people we're being burned at the stake. They we're even more religously conservative than England, and fought them tooth and nail for the right to have basically no human rights. The Quakers of Philly, on the other hand, were ahead of their time with their live and let live stance on human rights, and thus sought to start a country based on the belief that all men are created equal, regardless of religion. Boston did fight the British, but for the opposite reason as Philly, even today, this is why Philly is more colorful and diverse, than Boston, which practically has the demographics of Ireland.

So lets put the debate to rest. Philadelphia is the birthplace of America.

Correction: Back then, the Quakers had a live and let live stance. Now, there's plenty of branches of the Quakers that are directly affiliated with the KKK.


But the rest of your point is absolutely correct, and Boston is still a pretty racist town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,835 posts, read 54,192,722 times
Reputation: 14776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
But the rest of your point is absolutely correct, and Boston is still a pretty racist town.
Really? I never knew that.

I mean aside from the fact that racism unfortunately exists everywhere in varying degrees, I didnt know that Boston was more so than most places.

When are we ever gonna get rid of that disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,171,629 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Really? I never knew that.

I mean aside from the fact that racism unfortunately exists everywhere in varying degrees, I didnt know that Boston was more so than most places.

When are we ever gonna get rid of that disease?

Boston's probably the most racist big city in the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM
 
26 posts, read 32,830 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Boston's probably the most racist big city in the NE.
Evidence please? Or are you living in the past with everyone else? I am a black immigrant living in Boston and find it one of the most accepting cities I have lived in around the globe. I would like to hear some evidence.

After a quick glance out of the 3 cities mentioned, Philadelphia has the best representation of blacks in government (7 city councilors) followed by Boston (3 of the 11 are black) and then last SF with only one in the entire city council.

Boston has the highest median income of black residents at 33,420, followed by SF 31,080 and Philadelphia at 26,728.

So Boston has the highest median income of black families and a strong representation of Blacks in the City council and racism is strongest here?

Last edited by Backayard; 03-06-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Center City
6,712 posts, read 7,579,541 times
Reputation: 9048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Correction: Back then, the Quakers had a live and let live stance. Now, there's plenty of branches of the Quakers that are directly affiliated with the KKK.

Looks like someone's taking the Fox News approach of making unsubstantiated statements that support their agenda. I'll play Jon Stewart here and share some facts.

Quakers not only did not have a "live and let live stance", they have always been and remain at the forefront of social change, sometimes referrred to as the "quiet rebels." The Quakers have always been a society that lives their faith through their actions as opposed to simply professing it. Their first foray into social justice was when their members (men and women) actually went to live in the prison hellholes of England to bring relief to the prisoners while drawing attention to the inhumane conditions. A list of some of the other social justice movements Quakers were among the first to involve themselves with include equal rights for women, fair dealings with native Americans when Penn arrived in Philadelphia (contrast that with the Manhattan deal of trinkets and beads), abolition of slavery and running the underground railroad, opposition to the Vietnam war and abolition of the death penalty. In more recent years, Quakers performed same gender marriages years before any state offered even civil unions.

Here's the background on the Nobel Peace Prize warded to the Quakers so you can become better informed: The Nobel Peace Prize 1947 - Presentation Speech

This is in the DNA of Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: So California
8,457 posts, read 8,686,404 times
Reputation: 4600
great job with presenting facts Montclair and Danny.

Bay Area is the most important of the 3. Really good size comparison to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,171,629 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Looks like someone's taking the Fox News approach of making unsubstantiated statements that support their agenda. I'll play Jon Stewart here and share some facts.

Quakers not only did not have a "live and let live stance", they have always been and remain at the forefront of social change, sometimes referrred to as the "quiet rebels." The Quakers have always been a society that lives their faith through their actions as opposed to simply professing it. Their first foray into social justice was when their members (men and women) actually went to live in the prison hellholes of England to bring relief to the prisoners while drawing attention to the inhumane conditions. A list of some of the other social justice movements Quakers were among the first to involve themselves with include equal rights for women, fair dealings with native Americans when Penn arrived in Philadelphia (contrast that with the Manhattan deal of trinkets and beads), abolition of slavery and running the underground railroad, opposition to the Vietnam war and abolition of the death penalty. In more recent years, Quakers performed same gender marriages years before any state offered even civil unions.

Here's the background on the Nobel Peace Prize warded to the Quakers so you can become better informed: The Nobel Peace Prize 1947 - Presentation Speech

This is in the DNA of Philadelphia.


You've obviously never heard of Daisy Douglas Barr or what the Quakers have been up to recently.

Daisey Douglas Barr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


rofl... is that what's in the DNA of Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,171,629 times
Reputation: 3050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
Evidence please? Or are you living in the past with everyone else? I am a black immigrant living in Boston and find it one of the most accepting cities I have lived in around the globe. I would like to hear some evidence.

After a quick glance out of the 3 cities mentioned, Philadelphia has the best representation of blacks in government (7 city councilors) followed by Boston (3 of the 11 are black) and then last SF with only one in the entire city council.

Boston has the highest median income of black residents at 33,420, followed by SF 31,080 and Philadelphia at 26,728.

So Boston has the highest median income of black families and a strong representation of Blacks in the City council and racism is strongest here?

San Francisco is racist towards blacks too. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM
 
2,420 posts, read 3,921,474 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You've obviously never heard of Daisy Douglas Barr or what the Quakers have been up to recently.

Daisey Douglas Barr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


rofl... is that what's in the DNA of Philadelphia?
That's in Indiana, and says nothing at all about Quaker affiliation. Not real Quakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top