U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.85%
Boston 93 18.49%
Philadelphia 98 19.48%
Confused 21 4.17%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 PM
 
251 posts, read 230,945 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

You asked, the people answered.

SF > Philly > Boston

Id say thats about right on the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM
 
209 posts, read 274,845 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
You asked, the people answered.

SF > Philly > Boston

Id say thats about right on the mark.
^^^According to all of us homers on this board, but we are just a bunch of guys talking to each other. There are more Philly posters here and we are simply running a popularity contest.

Boston is considered substantially more important than Philly in business by most professional rating organizations. Within the footprint of Philly city, the two cities have about the same population. Philly MSA is bigger, Boston CMSA is bigger. Boston has far more office space and more buildings over 500'. Philly and Boston have about the same number of tall buildings in the same footprint if Cambridge and other adjacent cities are included. Philly has taller buildings. Boston has more construction measured by dollars/year and has had for a very long time. Boston is more important in finance, high-tech, research, bio-medicine...

As cities, Boston and SF are much closer to one another and Philly is a ways behind in third place pretty much everywhere except on this board..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 05:33 PM
 
8,803 posts, read 4,835,252 times
Reputation: 2946
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
^^^According to all of us homers on this board, but we are just a bunch of guys talking to each other. There are more Philly posters here and we are simply running a popularity contest.

Boston is considered substantially more important than Philly in business by most professional rating organizations. Within the footprint of Philly city, the two cities have about the same population. Philly MSA is bigger, Boston CMSA is bigger. Boston has far more office space and more buildings over 500'. Philly and Boston have about the same number of tall buildings in the same footprint if Cambridge and other adjacent cities are included. Philly has taller buildings. Boston has more construction measured by dollars/year and has had for a very long time. Boston is more important in finance, high-tech, research, bio-medicine...

As cities, Boston and SF are much closer to one another and Philly is a ways behind in third place pretty much everywhere except on this board..
Whatever you mean by "footprint" doesn't jive with this:

Phildelphia(the city) pop., 2013 US census est. 1,553,165. Boston(the city) pop., 2013 US census est. 645,966.

Facts matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,323,780 times
Reputation: 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Whatever you mean by "footprint" doesn't jive with this:

Phildelphia(the city) pop., 2013 US census est. 1,553,165. Boston(the city) pop., 2013 US census est. 645,966.

Facts matter.
You should probably know what he meant by "footprint" before acting so snide. Philadelphia is roughly 135 square miles and Boston is only 48. He was saying if you were to take the inner 48 square miles of Philadelphia (or perhaps 58 square miles and included Cambridge & Somerville in Boston's total), you'd get a similar population. Conversely, if you were to include the surrounding areas of Boston (14 other small cities), you'd get an area of 136 square miles and a population of 1,414,332. So it's still smaller than Philadelphia but certainly not by a large amount.

On top of that, even when only considering the cities themselves, what he said about things such as office space is true. Philadelphia's CBD has around 43,211,000 sq ft of office space (if you add in University City). Conversely, Boston's CBD has about 65,405,509. Roughly 50% more space in a smaller area. If you were to include the Eastern area of Cambridge, that number jumps to 76,775,666.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,897 posts, read 12,370,418 times
Reputation: 2602
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

On top of that, even when only considering the cities themselves, what he said about things such as office space is true. Philadelphia's CBD has around 43,211,000 sq ft of office space (if you add in University City). Conversely, Boston's CBD has about 65,405,509. Roughly 50% more space in a smaller area. If you were to include the Eastern area of Cambridge, that number jumps to 76,775,666.


Getting different amount from the Philly site.
http://sshrealestate.com/files/2013M...rketReport.pdf

45.5 M sq ft
3 M University City
7 M in the Navy Yard

Also Keep in mind the government sector in Boston is quite substantial being ( Mass capital). Most likely a Huge reason for the disparity in office space between the 2 cities.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-13-2015 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
 
251 posts, read 230,945 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
^^^According to all of us homers on this board, but we are just a bunch of guys talking to each other. There are more Philly posters here and we are simply running a popularity contest.

Boston is considered substantially more important than Philly in business by most professional rating organizations. Within the footprint of Philly city, the two cities have about the same population. Philly MSA is bigger, Boston CMSA is bigger. Boston has far more office space and more buildings over 500'. Philly and Boston have about the same number of tall buildings in the same footprint if Cambridge and other adjacent cities are included. Philly has taller buildings. Boston has more construction measured by dollars/year and has had for a very long time. Boston is more important in finance, high-tech, research, bio-medicine...

As cities, Boston and SF are much closer to one another and Philly is a ways behind in third place pretty much everywhere except on this board..

Substantially? You sure those aren't primarily finance rankings?

MSA population figures make the most sense for both cities, and Philly is larger, both MSA and economically. They're neck and neck in a few industries but they both top one another in certain areas. Philly's economy is like Chicago's and is more diverse.

Philly has the better skyline, better food, better music, better people, better historic sites, better museums, better bars, better nightlife and entertainment, etc.

Boston is cleaner, more racist and more elitist.

Ill take Philly. Youll take Boston.

Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 PM
 
251 posts, read 230,945 times
Reputation: 171
Boston is the capital and the government sector provides a sizeable boost in CBD.


Anyway, the people voted.

SF
Philly
Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:02 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,449 posts, read 3,907,792 times
Reputation: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Boston is cleaner, more racist and more elitist.
LOL. Let me guess, you are white? Only someone from the outside looking in or a minority with an IQ level equal to a vegetable would say one city is more racist than another. Until people of colour stand on equal footing with white folks, all these cities are racist in their own way. Philly hardly deserves a pat on the back for its race relations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,323,780 times
Reputation: 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Getting different amount from the Philly site.
http://sshrealestate.com/files/2013M...rketReport.pdf

45.5 M sq ft
3 M University City
7 M in the Navy Yard

Also Keep in mind the government sector in Boston is quite substantial being ( Mass capital). Most likely a Huge reason for the disparity in office space between the 2 cities.
I don't see anything saying the Navy Yard has 7 million square feet in that article. Grubb-Ellis and Cushman & Wakefield both put them around 40-45M--as does your source--so I would venture a guess that that's accurate. If you want to count another 3M for University City, then ok. It doesn't change the fact that Boston's CBD is far larger. I don't believe they're including the Navy Yard as part of the CBD since it's several miles away from Center City. It's the equivalent of driving from downtown Boston to Quincy.

Sure, the government takes up a good chunk space, but you're skirting the fact that the CBD of Boston is probably a bit more of a center of commerce than the CBD of Philadelphia. It's an extremely desirable area, which is why despite the larger supply, Boston's avg office rates are far higher than Philadelphia's in the CBD ($27.39 vs $54.04). It's not a knock on Philadelphia...the central area of Boston has some of the most prestigious institutions in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Substantially? You sure those aren't primarily finance rankings?
Well Boston is quite a bit ahead of Philadelphia in finance, but most of the global city rankings seem to favor Boston as well (though I always tend to take these with a large grain of salt).

GaWC
Boston: Alpha-
Philadelphia: Beta+

Global Cities Index
21. Boston
Philadelphia Unranked

Global Economic Power Index
11. Boston
Philadelphia Unranked

Global Power City Index
30. Boston
Philadelphia Unranked

The Wealth Report
14. Boston
Philadelphia Unranked

Global City Competitive Index
10. Boston
30. Philadelphia

Again, take those with a grain of salt. I think those rankings understating the importance/influence of Philadelphia...but at the same time they also speak to the way Boston is looked at globally and the respect & power it has.

Quote:
MSA population figures make the most sense for both cities, and Philly is larger, both MSA and economically.
GDP-wise yes, but that doesn't take into account certain things like financial services, much of whose power comes in assets under management, which has no effect on GDP.

Quote:
They're neck and neck in a few industries but they both top one another in certain areas. Philly's economy is like Chicago's and is more diverse.
They're both very diverse economies...not sure you're going to be able to argue one over the other here.

Quote:
Philly has the better skyline, better food, better music, better people, better historic sites, better museums, better bars, better nightlife and entertainment, etc.
All of that is 100% subjective. Not really a "win" for Philadelphia.

Quote:
Boston is cleaner, more racist and more elitist.
Ah very nice. Thanks for giving us the racism thing. Very original!

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-14-2015 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 AM
 
251 posts, read 230,945 times
Reputation: 171
Anytime.

Finance isn't the be-all end-all unfortunately. It's usually the most weighted concerning economics and those rankings reflect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top