U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.85%
Boston 93 18.49%
Philadelphia 98 19.48%
Confused 21 4.17%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,352,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Anytime.

Finance isn't the be-all end-all unfortunately. It's usually the most weighted concerning economics and those rankings reflect that.
Maybe you should actually read what the rankings are based on, rather than pretending they only consider finance.

The rankings reflect that many of these groups consider Boston to be an important, influential city on a global level.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM

8,457 posts, read 8,710,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Left my heart in this place. I knew before the trip that San Francisco was in a league of it's very own out west (CA, WA, OR, NV, AZ, CO, TX, NM, UT) but this time solidified it all. Had the time of my life in San Francisco, ironically the first time of many times I've been to the city with 5 other friends accompanying me. So that definitely amplified it.

I would upload my pictures but I don't really feel like taking the memory card out of my camera and I definitely don't feel like converting pictures from my phone, so this camera reel of a few pictures altogether will do to get the idea across.

Pictures from the Twin Peaks in San Francisco at night, overlooking the city, it's quite the spectacle to see at night and especially in the evening when the entire city glows. The other pictures are from Big Sur and around the Bay Area.

I was thoroughly impressed with both Oakland and San Jose as well, Downtown Oakland looks like the best it's ever been. I saw a lot of brand new apartments in downtown, which is magnificent. San Jose's downtown has declined since the last time I saw it, a part of it seems to have fallen to Vietnamese gangs but the city as a whole and at least a few large segments of it's downtown are still thriving, the best it's ever been actually.

Excellent, glad you had a great trip...

Old 01-14-2015, 12:52 PM

4,352 posts, read 7,386,667 times
The tone of this conversation is getting a lot more heated than is necessary. My fellow Philadelphians need to take it down a notch on the defensiveness.

There are certainly global rankings where finance is more of a factor (IIRC, A.T. Kearney, for example), but there are plenty of other rankings that do not.

Although it's likely not perfect, at some point there is an objective measure of "global influence" or "power" and Boston does tend to do better in that regard. Here is an interesting "combined ranking," taken from CityLab a few years back, that calculated the 10 most "globally powerful" American cities/metros:

All three of these cities appeared, but interestingly Boston (#4) ranked ahead of both San Francisco (#6) and Philadelphia (#9), although I suspect it excluded the San Jose area.

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - CityLab

Overall, I think the global profile of Philadelphia has definitely become more prominent over the past 15-20 years, and clearly is in a top tier among American cities, but I would have to agree that, objectively, it is not quite at the level of Boston or SF (although for a broader comparison sake, I think it's fair to say that SF and Boston are much closer to Philly than a truly preeminent global city like New York).

I will add the caveat that Philly has tons of unrealized potential to continue to increase its global profile, and, of course, this is only one aspect out of many to consider in comparing these cities, but this is how reality appears in the present day.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-14-2015 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,356,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The tone of this conversation is getting a lot more heated than is necessary. My fellow Philadelphians need to take it down a notch on the defensiveness.

There are certainly global rankings where finance is more of a factor (IIRC, A.T. Kearney, for example), but there are plenty of other rankings that do not.

Although it's likely not perfect, at some point there is an objective measure of "global influence" or "power" and Boston does tend to do better in that regard. Here is an interesting "combined ranking," taken from CityLab a few years back, that calculated the 10 most "globally powerful" American cities/metros:

All three of these cities appeared, but interestingly Boston (#4) ranked ahead of both San Francisco (#6) and Philadelphia (#9), although I suspect it excluded the San Jose area.

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - CityLab

Overall, I think the global profile of Philadelphia has definitely become more prominent over the past 15-20 years, and clearly is in a top tier among American cities, but I would have to agree that, objectively, it is not quite at the level of Boston or SF (although for a broader comparison sake, I think it's fair to say that SF and Boston are much closer to Philly than a truly preeminent global city like New York).

I will add the caveat that Philly has tons of unrealized potential to continue to increase its global profile, and, of course, this is only one aspect out of many to consider in comparing these cities, but this is how reality appears in the present day.
If you're going to chastise forumers,you need to call everyone out not just Philly forumers. Takes two to tango.
In the end it all boils down to preference.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM

4,352 posts, read 7,386,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
If you're going to chastise forumers,you need to call everyone out not just Philly forumers. Takes two to tango.
In the end it all boils down to preference.
I get that, but at the same time, there's a way to disagree without being argumentative.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:07 PM

251 posts, read 231,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Maybe you should actually read what the rankings are based on, rather than pretending they only consider finance.

The rankings reflect that many of these groups consider Boston to be an important, influential city on a global level.

Hey I understand you need to compensate for Boston's finish in the poll, just relax.

Not everyone has a hard on for Boston. I grew up near Albany so plenty close enough. Always was overrated considering it's media presence.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,694,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
^^^According to all of us homers on this board, but we are just a bunch of guys talking to each other. There are more Philly posters here and we are simply running a popularity contest.

Boston is considered substantially more important than Philly in business by most professional rating organizations. Within the footprint of Philly city, the two cities have about the same population. Philly MSA is bigger, Boston CMSA is bigger. Boston has far more office space and more buildings over 500'. Philly and Boston have about the same number of tall buildings in the same footprint if Cambridge and other adjacent cities are included. Philly has taller buildings. Boston has more construction measured by dollars/year and has had for a very long time. Boston is more important in finance, high-tech, research, bio-medicine...

As cities, Boston and SF are much closer to one another and Philly is a ways behind in third place pretty much everywhere except on this board..
There is a reason for this, and it seems to be often overlooked. Sure it probably partially has to do with Philadelphia falling MUCH MUCH harder than Boston and Boston rebounding much earlier (probably 20 or 30 years earlier) than Philadelphia. Philadelphia didn't really start to rebound from it's decline until late 90s early 2000s. And it didn't start gaining population again until about 2007 or 2008. Boston has been growing for much longer and has had much longer to clean up it's act and seem more desirable.

Philadelphia is still trying to do that now as it rebuilds it's image.

Also, there was the Gentlemen's Agreement in Philadelphia where developers would not build higher than the top of City Hall (548 feet tall). This seriously limited Philadelphia's 500+ foot buildings until about 1986 when it was lifted with One Liberty Place surpassing this mark.

Recently, Philadelphia has been building many more 500+ foot buildings than Boston, and is catching up pretty rapidly to Boston and other cities that have had much more of a head start on it. Philadelphia already has 4 taller buildings than Boston's tallest, with a 5th on the way rising over 1,000 feet tall.

Boston 500+ footer skyscrapers
Built before 1986

Built after 1986

Under Construction
1 with 1 in site prep

Philadelphia 500+ footer skyscrapers
Built before 1986
2 - one being City Hall and the other shorter than City Hall

Built after 1986

Under Construction
2 with 2 in site prep

Old 01-14-2015, 02:34 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,352,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterfart View Post
Hey I understand you need to compensate for Boston's finish in the poll, just relax.

Not everyone has a hard on for Boston. I grew up near Albany so plenty close enough. Always was overrated considering it's media presence.
Why would I care about the poll, or need to compensate for Boston? I was just presenting some facts.

I voted for SF, BTW.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:36 PM

27,985 posts, read 25,685,406 times
From a review of the book Puritan Boston and Quaker Philadelphia:

"Whereas Bostonians are all too ready to see Boston as best in ways that it clearly is not, Philadelphians are equally ready to brand their city as worst in ways that it clearly is not. Bostonians are braggarts; Philadelphians, as Owen Wister put it, have a deep” instinct for self disparagement."

"Philadelphia is the city of firsts, Boston of bests and New York of latests."

"Well-supported, well-funded, celebrated Harvard University (founded 1636) versus early-adopting but less influential University of Pennsylvania (1740) is a dominant example of the divide between the two cities, argues Baltzell."

"Quaker and Philadelphians have always suffered from believing in the “vanity of the world,” which means there is relatively very little written about that city’s great leaders."

“The Philadelphia Quakers, like all too many other Americans, have valued education, especially its more practical aspects, while mistrusting learning. And down through the years, the city’s Quaker-turned-Episcopal gentry have only half heartedly supported the University of Pennsylvania, which throughout its long history has contributed surprisingly little to the nation’s intellectual or political leadership."

Puritan Boston, Quaker Philadelphia: notes on 1979 research from E. Digby Baltzell • Christopher Wink

Old 01-14-2015, 02:37 PM

251 posts, read 231,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why would I care, or need to compensate for Boston? I voted for SF on this poll.

You'be lived there and have an obvious affinity for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City