U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 291 57.97%
Boston 92 18.33%
Philadelphia 98 19.52%
Confused 21 4.18%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 PM

6,551 posts, read 8,028,686 times

Advertisements

These are my own pictures from the last time I was in Boston. Again, ignore the sideways stuff.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...7-img-2380.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...6-img-2320.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...5-img-2166.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...4-img-2111.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...3-img-2104.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2-img-2098.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1-img-2053.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...0-img-2037.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...9-img-2015.jpg

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8-img-2001.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:56 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,639,498 times
Boston is gorgeous. There is no doubt about that!

Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,315,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
This end of this thread is touching upon why I voted Philadelphia over Boston, and way over San Francisco.

Silicon Valley and New York are holding the country back, and we must establish our new companies elsewhere.
I think it just means the neighborhoods need to consider accepting newer developments to help keep house prices down. I'd be interested to see how it would add up with Boston included, seeing as Boston may have the most ferocious NIMBYs in the nation.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:42 PM

8,454 posts, read 8,666,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think it just means the neighborhoods need to consider accepting newer developments to help keep house prices down. I'd be interested to see how it would add up with Boston included, seeing as Boston may have the most ferocious NIMBYs in the nation.
Yep, the bay area has space and environmental issues for massive growth. Theres an article floating around about how the bay area really should be up to about 10million population right now to satisfy demand

Old 07-19-2015, 07:54 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,980,723 times
Aside from the traffic, the SF Bay Area is--hands down--a much easier, more pleasant place to live than both Boston and certainly Philly.

Compared to those East Coast cities, the Bay Area has:
-Milder, drier weather
-Much prettier, more dramatic scenery with spectacular mountain and ocean vistas and unique vegetation
-Far more outdoor recreational opportunities
-A nicer, wider range of nearby travel destinations
-A more open, tolerant, progressive culture
-Less animosity and tension among various racial and ethnic groups
-Friendlier locals, especially the CA natives
-Less aggressive, more sensible motorists (outside of San Jose)
-Fewer crude, foul-mouthed, bad-tempered individuals
-A wider variety of residential and commercial architectural styles
-Greater racial diversity and better integrated schools, workplaces and neighborhoods

I grew up in Providence, RI, so I'm quite familiar with Boston and, to a lesser extent, Philly. Those cities are quintessential embodiment of East Coast culture, which is characterized by a general preoccupation with money, power, status and wealth, not to mention being "tough" (AKA rude, aggressive, combative, argumentative, shrewd, "street-smart," ghetto, etc.). People on the East Coast, especially in Boston and Philly, tend to be more ornery, uptight and parochial than people on the West Coast. East Coasters also tend to be more conformist and traditional.

The West Coast, OTOH, couldn't be more opposite, with the SF Bay Area leading the pack. People on the West Coast are more spiritual (as opposed to religious), creative and individualistic than their East Coast counterparts. They're generally less rigid and more open to new concepts, ideas and innovations, which is why so much present-day technological and cultural innovation comes from the Bay Area among other metropolises on the West Coast.

Because people tend to be more individualistic on the West Coast, there tends to be less emphasis on religion and tradition, which is a good thing, if you ask me. Spiritual practices such as yoga and ayurveda are more popular, which is somewhat consistent with the counterculture element you find in coastal West Coast cities. SF in particular is home to lots of hippies and alternative folks, not to mention a huge LGBT community--and has been for longer than most other cities in the US, including Boston and Philly.

Perhaps because the topography and landscape of the Bay Area are so stunning, there's a deeper, more profound appreciation for nature and the environment, which is why there are more nature-lovers and "tree-huggers" in the Bay Area. That's also the reason why ideals and movements such as the "green" movement (e.g., hybrid and electric cars, recycling, etc.), farmers markets and caps on land development either began or gained significant traction in the Bay Area.

Others may disagree, but I find the Bay Area to a be much "cooler," more spectacular place than Boston, Philly or any other East Coast city/metro, which are all pretty similar in terms of weather, scenery, culture and architecture outside of the historic urban districts. YMMV.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:43 PM

265 posts, read 210,765 times
Your long and winded dissertation was very boring . Thanks for wasting my time reading and letting me indulge into your local civic conceit .I find west coast people very self centered and very boring .Next time I see one of your postings I'll know to skip right over it .

Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,313,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Your long and winded dissertation was very boring . Thanks for wasting my time reading and letting me indulge into your local civic conceit .I find west coast people very self centered and very boring .Next time I see one of your postings I'll know to skip right over it .
Says the poster with 57 posts. Why not add some substance in your remark instead of weak hollow flames. His write up was good, your response is a waste of bandwidth.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:44 AM

265 posts, read 210,765 times
Not one objective comment out of 7 paragraphs now that's a waste of bandwidth .

Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 AM

4,337 posts, read 7,355,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I grew up in Providence, RI, so I'm quite familiar with Boston and, to a lesser extent, Philly. Those cities are quintessential embodiment of East Coast culture, which is characterized by a general preoccupation with money, power, status and wealth, not to mention being "tough" (AKA rude, aggressive, combative, argumentative, shrewd, "street-smart," ghetto, etc.). People on the East Coast, especially in Boston and Philly, tend to be more ornery, uptight and parochial than people on the West Coast. East Coasters also tend to be more conformist and traditional.
Unfortunately, you appear to be relying heavily on tired stereotypes. The East Coast is indeed more steeped in tradition and can be more aggressive (Northeast Corridor), but this notion that West Coast is inherently more "creative" and "open-minded" is patently absurd. These are purely human traits that know no geographical boundaries.

Also--the West Coast is devoid of wealth- and status-obsession? LOL. Might want to have a discussion with Silicon Valley and Hollywood about that one.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-20-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 AM

1,567 posts, read 768,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Aside from the traffic, the SF Bay Area is--hands down--a much easier, more pleasant place to live than both Boston and certainly Philly.

Compared to those East Coast cities, the Bay Area has:
-Milder, drier weather
-Much prettier, more dramatic scenery with spectacular mountain and ocean vistas and unique vegetation
-Far more outdoor recreational opportunities
-A nicer, wider range of nearby travel destinations
-A more open, tolerant, progressive culture
-Less animosity and tension among various racial and ethnic groups
-Friendlier locals, especially the CA natives
-Less aggressive, more sensible motorists (outside of San Jose)
-Fewer crude, foul-mouthed, bad-tempered individuals
-A wider variety of residential and commercial architectural styles
-Greater racial diversity and better integrated schools, workplaces and neighborhoods

The West Coast, OTOH, couldn't be more opposite, with the SF Bay Area leading the pack. People on the West Coast are more spiritual (as opposed to religious), creative and individualistic than their East Coast counterparts. They're generally less rigid and more open to new concepts, ideas and innovations, which is why so much present-day technological and cultural innovation comes from the Bay Area among other metropolises on the West Coast.

Because people tend to be more individualistic on the West Coast, there tends to be less emphasis on religion and tradition, which is a good thing, if you ask me. Spiritual practices such as yoga and ayurveda are more popular, which is somewhat consistent with the counterculture element you find in coastal West Coast cities. SF in particular is home to lots of hippies and alternative folks, not to mention a huge LGBT community--and has been for longer than most other cities in the US, including Boston and Philly.

Perhaps because the topography and landscape of the Bay Area are so stunning, there's a deeper, more profound appreciation for nature and the environment, which is why there are more nature-lovers and "tree-huggers" in the Bay Area. That's also the reason why ideals and movements such as the "green" movement (e.g., hybrid and electric cars, recycling, etc.), farmers markets and caps on land development either began or gained significant traction in the Bay Area.

Others may disagree, but I find the Bay Area to a be much "cooler," more spectacular place than Boston, Philly or any other East Coast city/metro, which are all pretty similar in terms of weather, scenery, culture and architecture outside of the historic urban districts. YMMV.
San Francisco is the greatest. PS hippies are the worst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City