Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM

26 posts, read 41,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Refer back to where I said that San Francisco is also racist towards blacks.

And you can act like the event you brought up is the only one... lets not act like Boston sports weren't segregated until the early 90's.

And if you want recent, let's talk about Henry Louis Gates.
No one is saying racism does not exist in Boston, it is the suggestion that it is greater than other cities, and we simply requested that you give examples.

Segregated Sports? Which ones? Early 90's? Are you serious, my goodness I feel bad for you. Is it the Celtics? YOu mean the team that hired the first black coach and drafted the first black player?

Henry Louis Gates was an unfortunate incident, but something that happens quite often around the country. The only difference is that the Police decided to mess with an influential black man who actually had a voice so the publicity was much different than if it happened to your average middle class black resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
Operative word is HISTORY....and on that point I agree. History and Present Day are two different things though, just that some people have difficulty comprehending that.

And to my point about every city having some form of racism, I have lived in 3 different continents and every city I have lived in has some form of racism still present to this day. Are there varying degrees? Of course, but to deny its existence is ignorant.

Most places do not have culturally ingrained racism to the tune that America does.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Most places do not have culturally ingrained racism to the tune that America does.

seriously?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM

26 posts, read 41,600 times
Quote:
I hope you are just playing Devil's advocate, but this ignorance is not a good look man, trust me.

I am going to give you a pass and just assume you haven't travelled much or studied other cultures, but America is hardly the torch bearer when it comes to racism, as bad as our history is we have it easy here comparatively speaking.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Noble and accomplished now or 100 years ago? I don't get why you're invested in defending a group which at this point has a lot of connections to white supremacists.
Good lord. Quakers won the Nobel Peace Prize for their work work about 50 years ago, were heavily involved in the effort to end to the Vietnam war and started performing same gender marriages for members all over the US about 25 years ago - a feat your state can't seem to get its arms around. (Geez, with all your comments on how great SF is, I don't see why you're supporting a bunch of homophobes).

If you'll look at facts instead of pulling them from your butt, you'll see for example that Quakers were outspoken agains Japanese internment during WWII and were publicly on record and individually heavily involved in the civil rights movement in the south in 1960s. I suppose after that, they decided "Hey, the trap is set. Let's be racist!"

Just like Fox news, if seems like if keep saying it, maybe it'll stick. Take a break on THESE unsubstantiated claims. I hear there's a group demanding to see Obama's birth certificate that could use your "research."

Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
No one is saying racism does not exist in Boston, it is the suggestion that it is greater than other cities, and we simply requested that you give examples.

Segregated Sports? Which ones? Early 90's? Are you serious, my goodness I feel bad for you. Is it the Celtics? YOu mean the team that hired the first black coach and drafted the first black player?

Yes, the Celtics in Boston.

Black Athletes Have Long Seen Boston as Racist - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Might want to also google Bill Russel. While he was not playing during the 80's, he did say that Boston was like a "flea market of racism", which even in the 50's was the not the typical thing to say about NE big cities. And that was coming from someone who grew up in Louisiana in the 30's.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Good lord. Quakers won the Nobel Peace Prize for their work work about 50 years ago, were heavily involved in the effort to end to the Vietnam war and started performing same gender marriages for members all over the US about 25 years ago - a feat your state can't seem to get its arms around. (Geez, with all your comments on how great SF is, I don't see why you're supporting a bunch of homophobes).

If you'll look at facts instead of pulling them from your butt, you'll see for example that Quakers were outspoken agains Japanese internment during WWII and were publicly on record and individually heavily involved in the civil rights movement in the south in 1960s. I suppose after that, they decided "Hey, the trap is set. Let's be racist!"

Just like Fox news, if seems like if keep saying it, maybe it'll stick. Take a break on THESE unsubstantiated claims. I hear there's a group demanding to see Obama's birth certificate that could use your "research."

I like how you bring up a bunch of examples - Japanese Internment, the Vietnam War, same sex marriage - which have absolutely nothing to do with anti-black racism.

And at the SF comment. SF and the Bay Area do not = all of California, especially not on the subject of gay marriage.

Did I pull Barr out of my butt or does she actually exist? That she's one of the few KKK affiliated Quakers with any significant historical documentation says nothing about the lack of racist Quakers. You can keep telling yourself that as much as you want but that won't make it true. Your complete denial of the existence of anti-black sentiments in the Quaker camp when its obvious that there were is somewhat troubling.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Yes, the Celtics in Boston.

Black Athletes Have Long Seen Boston as Racist - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

Might want to also google Bill Russel. While he was not playing during the 80's, he did say that Boston was like a "flea market of racism", which even in the 50's was the not the typical thing to say about NE big cities. And that was coming from someone who grew up in Louisiana in the 30's.

Actually unfortunately that is not a true stratement there were racial incidents across all major NE cities during this period. Not something to be proud of but it definately existed as it is did in many parts of the country.

My own personal perspective would be that today Boston may have less racial tension than any among these three, probably Phildelphia still having the most sadly to say.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
I now see you offer unsubstantiated claims about more than just Quakers. Are you aware how Indians are treated in Singapore, Pakistanis in India, all Asians in Qatar, Chinese in Japan, Turks in Germany, Muslims in France, Aboriginals in Canada andsAustralia, Jews in Russia . . . . . .

Old 03-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually unfortunately that is not a true stratement there were racial incidents across all major NE cities during this period. Not something to be proud of but it definately existed as it is did in many parts of the country.

My own personal perspective would be that today Boston may have less racial tension than any among these three, probably Phildelphia still having the most sadly to say.

There were racial incidents in the North East but Bill Russel effectively said that Boston was as racist as the small deep southern town he came from. There aren't too many NE cities that fit that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City