Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No, it's not settled at all. I believe SF is slightly more important than Boston or Philadelphia. However, all 3 are world class and someone can easily argue in the case for Boston or Philly as the most important. What was stated is simply MY OPINION, not everyone is going to agree with me.

You don't see arrogance? let me point out to you those post.

* Post #521
* Post # 523 clearly states "Its just not the same. In 2011, there is a clear leader among this group of 3 and its on the West Coast".
* And last look at post #530.
Again.....in the context of this thread and several others. They are reactions to other posters. Its all in context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yep, yet Philly has counties 15 minutes away included in NY. SF has cities of over 1M ppl included that are 48 miles away.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Yep, yet Philly has counties 15 minutes away included in NY. SF has cities of over 1M ppl included that are 48 miles away.
Distance has nothing to do with how metro areas are formed. It's about commuters from county to county.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Distance has nothing to do with how metro areas are formed. It's about commuters from county to county.
That is how the CENSUS does things, which I don't care about.

In the real world, the ppl living near Philly who technically belong to the NYC population come into Philly on a regular basis for entertainment sports games, shopping, etc. Also, some work in Philly..... the census will not show it though and there is no record of them.

This has been discussed on this site nonstop since I first joined. I do not see why the same concepts keep being discussed over and over and over again.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
the census will not show it though and there is no record of them.

This has been discussed on this site nonstop since I first joined. I do not see why the same concepts keep being discussed over and over and over again.
The imaginary Census boundary is gospel here dude.

Dont even waste your time.

Historically the Trenton area organically grew from the roots of Philadelphia but since local NJ politicians get a cost of living increase by being affiliated with NYC then the facts get overlooked.

Let the SF cronies keep thinking their area is 40% more robust than Philadlephia when you, I and a few select others know the real truth.

Trenton not being included in Phillys MSA is akin to Oakland not being part of SF MSA. Its the most absurd thing I have ever come across.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
They've already been corrected on this issue at least a dozen times in the past year alone.

Hell, I made this chart just in September to squash the often told lie that Philadelpha was 'robbed' of Mercer County:

Quote:

County of Employment for Residents of Mercer, NJ, 2000 Census
New York CSA Counties in Red/ Philadelphia CSA Counties in Blue

100+commuters
1 Mercer, NJ 112,449
2 Middlesex, NJ 16,597
3 New York City, NY 6,545 (added up the 5 boroughs)
4 Somerset, NJ 3,865
5 Bucks, PA 3,865
6 Burlington, NJ 3,765
7 Monmouth, NJ 2,483
8 Philadelphia, PA 1,548
9 Essex, NJ 1,490
10 Union, NJ 1,291
11 Hunterdon, NJ 1,194
12 Bergen, NJ 803
13 Hudson, NJ 775
14 Morris, NJ 751
15 Montgomery, PA 704
16 Ocean, NJ 667
17 Camden, NJ 588
18 Delaware, PA 244
19 Passaic, NJ 188
20 New Castle, DE 139
21 Gloucester, NJ 136

Tally of Destination Counties with more than 100+ workers:
Mercer Co. Residents who worked in New York in 2000: 36,649
Mercer Co. Residents who worked in Philadephia in 2000: 10,989
Mercer County belongs exactly where it is, part of the New York CSA.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They've already been corrected on this issue at least a dozen times in the past year alone.

Hell, I made this chart just in September to squash the often told lie that Philadelpha was 'robbed' of Mercer County:

Once again you miss the point. This has been established many many times. Also clearly the Middlesex number drives this commuter pattern and is purely a function of a line on the map in Hightstown, plus the Somerset/Hunterdon number is driven by Bridgewater, another line that is just accross the border. There are 6.5K (2%) out of 300+K residents that commute to NYC. The true influcence is not waht these rates suggest but purely where some people drive for their job 20 minutes away and not really what influences their life (just a huge job center easily commutable).

And as was the point this is more to the affiliation not the commuter rates which by all accounts are complex and would vary tremendously if the lines were cut by just a handful of miles.

But back to the mantra as usual and stats (which people are not arguing) people are arguing real world functionality. Am sure you are an expert on the rela world funtion and peoples beliefs and connectivity in places like Mercer, Bucks, Burlington, Hunterdon counties etc. By why botheryou were your stats like some badge regardless of what the truth is.

New Castle DE has a higher per cap GDP than does SF, it must be more powerful obviously... Why would reality ever come into play or even a suggestion of things not appropriately quantified by census numbers. If you advocate such strict adherance to these census braks please do NOT ever post any metrics that include SJ in the SF metro categories. it is OBVIOUSLY not correct

I will gladly go back and pull up the probably 100s of such examples of your misuse. But again both sides of the fense is definately a strong suit

Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:

And if you really stay technical, with the 2010 data Mercer now make the MSA connection with NYC and as a result Burlington County NJ creates the Philly to NYC CSA connection so all these CSA points are basically irrelevant as the Philly CSA now is just massive relative to the others.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And if you really stay technical, with the 2010 data Mercer now make the MSA connection with NYC and as a result Burlington County NJ creates the Philly to NYC CSA connection so all these CSA points are basically irrelevant as the Philly CSA now is just massive relative to the others.
I have no clue what this means?

Mercer is already part of the NY CSA. Its not speculation.

If your trying to say that Burlington sends 15% to both Philadelphia and Trenton, that's easy.

Here's one easy solution. In the past the OMB has actually created county divisions. One divison would go to Philadelphia MSA and the other to the Trenton-Ewing MSA.

Easy.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what this means?

Mercer is already part of the NY CSA. Its not speculation.

If your trying to say that Burlington sends 15% to both Philadelphia and Trenton, that's easy.

Here's one easy solution. In the past the OMB has actually created county divisions. One divison would go to Philadelphia MSA and the other to the Trenton-Ewing MSA.

Easy.
Why should Philly suffer for being close to NY? Philly should not be put down for being close to NY, the bay area should be put down for having three major cities in a metro area spread 50 miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City