Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:03 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Point View Post
How is it odd that Philly is having more votes than Boston? Philadelphia is an overall better city. Big deal. I'm sure America prefers Philly over Boston anyways.
The question was not which city is "better" but which city is more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 03:07 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
How is it odd that Philly is having more votes than Boston? Philadelphia is an overall better city. Big deal. I'm sure America prefers Philly over Boston anyways.
No its cause Greater Boston posters are Honest, I voted for the Bay Area while more Philly posters blindly vote for there town, look at the Boston VS Philly 1 on 1 thread Boston wins like 103-83

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM

78 posts, read 157,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No its cause Greater Boston posters are Honest, I voted for the Bay Area while more Philly posters blindly vote for there town, look at the Boston VS Philly 1 on 1 thread Boston wins like 103-83
Oh really because as I search up Boston VS Philly threads, most of them Philly is winning the polls. The Bay Area posters are obviously voting for Boston to help Boston out in that thread, due to The Bay Area kissing Boston's ass or vice versa.

Also I'm guessing you have not seen this thread Philly vs. Montreal vs. San Francisco vs. Boston

Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Oh really because as I search up Boston VS Philly threads, most of them Philly is winning the polls. The Bay Area posters are obviously voting for Boston to help Boston out in that thread, due to The Bay Area kissing Boston's ass or vice versa.
This however is By far the largest sample size
Philadelphia vs Boston
the smaller threads are disporprtionally Phily because of the Rediculous amount of Posters from the Philly area.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
This however is By far the largest sample size
Philadelphia vs Boston
the smaller threads are disporprtionally Phily because of the Rediculous amount of Posters from the Philly area.
I'm sure if we made a new one right now and made it last until next month. Philly would have more votes. I'm also sure if we made a poll for the WORLD on which to choose, I'm sure Philly would have more votes.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if we made a new one right now and made it last until next month. Philly would have more votes. I'm also sure if we made a poll for the WORLD on which to choose, I'm sure Philly would have more votes.
On what grounds, Boston has better, Hospitals, Education, Heathier EConomy, Tech, Biotech, Museaums, orchestras, Sports Teams (this could hurt Boston in popularity), Food, and most importantly National Perception
Tie in History, and Economy
Philly wins in some things, but Boston by a landslide to the average American.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
On what grounds, Boston has better, Hospitals, Education, Heathier EConomy, Tech, Biotech, Museaums, orchestras, Sports Teams (this could hurt Boston in popularity), Food, and most importantly National Perception
Yes to education
Yes to Healthier Economy

WTF to Tech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable
WTF to Biotech? - No one really gives a sh-.. Even though debatable

HELL NO to Museums
HELL NO to Orchestras
Philadelphia is a better sports city

The average american prefers Philly as a favorite, and Philly defiantly comes to mind before Boston for any American.

FOOD? Are you serious LOL Get real. Philly destroys Boston in food.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
"Importance" is so subjective, though. Are we talking media? Commerce? Education? Number of foreign consulates? The answer would be different depending on the topic -- not to mention scope (MSA v. CSA).
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
All things considered, the level of "importance" between both cities/metros is pretty negligible, while the Bay Area's importance is decidedly above both cities (only when speaking of CSA).
I don't know about that. In some things they are very close and in others Boston has a definite edge. So all things considered I think Boston is decidedly a more important, higher-profile city today. The gap is not huge but it's more than negligible IMO. This is reflected in most of the global rankings.

What's the argument for Philly being more important other than the fact that it's slightly larger?

Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it's a landslide but I largely agree with this. In terms of national (and international) perception I think it's fair to say that Boston is generally recognized as a more successful and higher-profile city. Philly's post-war decline and problems with crime are not helping.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:44 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Agreed.

I don't know about that. In some things they are very close and in others Boston has a definite edge. So all things considered I think Boston is decidedly a more important, higher-profile city today. The gap is not huge but it's more than negligible IMO. This is reflected in most of the global rankings.

What's the argument for Philly being more important other than the fact that it's slightly larger?
Because Philly decides what's gonna be on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City